BA CLUB Email Security Breached?

Old Jan 15, 12, 10:51 am
Original Poster

BA CLUB Email Security Breached?

I have registered a unique forwarding email address with BA Club as I do for all my commercial and web based communications requiring inbound mail.

Recently I have just started to receive SPAM send to this email address which is then forwarded to me. The email address has only been given to BA CLUB so how/where did the spammer get this address?

I reported the problem to BA and they declared that I 'must be the subject of a random email generator attack on my domain' whilst possible this is unlikely as I am receiving no other SPAM on my 200 forwarding addresses.

The domain sending the spam to my email address is 'rapidsite.net' and I wonder if anybody else has detected this problem.

I have now registered a new more complex email address with BA CLUB to see if this also gets spammed, but have not yet received spam on this new address. I'll let you know if I do.

In the meantime can you please check your spam and let me know if it is arriving from 'rapidsite.net' and delivered to your registered BA Club email adddress.
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:01 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by gallagtj View Post
I have registered a unique forwarding email address with BA Club as I do for all my commercial and web based communications requiring inbound mail.

Recently I have just started to receive SPAM send to this email address which is then forwarded to me. The email address has only been given to BA CLUB so how/where did the spammer get this address?

I reported the problem to BA and they declared that I 'must be the subject of a random email generator attack on my domain' whilst possible this is unlikely as I am receiving no other SPAM on my 200 forwarding addresses.

The domain sending the spam to my email address is 'rapidsite.net' and I wonder if anybody else has detected this problem.

I have now registered a new more complex email address with BA CLUB to see if this also gets spammed, but have not yet received spam on this new address. I'll let you know if I do.

In the meantime can you please check your spam and let me know if it is arriving from 'rapidsite.net' and delivered to your registered BA Club email adddress.
Welcome to FT. Sorry it's not on a better occaision!

I follow exactly the same procedure as you but have never received spam that could have originated from BA being compromised although I have been able to identify several other compromises from well known companies over the last few months. if you're doing something like [email protected] then I think the most likely source is a lucky hit from a random spam name generator as anything else would have had others posting by now. It won't be your mail server as such.

If it helps you may find that using something like mailwasher pro as your mail receiving software before a fully protected PC mail programme gives a highly secure way of dealing with may before it hits your machine. This adds complete protection to your pc as you delete all stuff before it comes onto your system. You can set up filters to eliminate future spam. Because of the domains I ow,n 95% of stuff coming my way is eliminated by mailwasher pro filters and I don't even see it.
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a pure email address just for my travel emails. I have never received any spam to this address, so far.

I have had a security breach on my emails, but this was from an upset member of one of my companies. I have issues with a building manager at one of my companies. I did change my security details once I became aware of the issue.

I have noticed some spam on my property email address, after I changed the password on them I managed to reduce the spam.
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Are you certain your own computer doesn't have any malware on it that could have grabbed the EMail address you supplied to BA ?

I can confirm I've never received spam from the domain you've mentioned.

BAH
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by BAHumbug View Post
Are you certain your own computer doesn't have any malware on it that could have grabbed the EMail address you supplied to BA ?

I can confirm I've never received spam from the domain you've mentioned.

BAH
Me neither. BA have had the same e-mail address for me for over 10 years.
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze :-(, United, Virgin, Starwood, Marriott
I had the same experience re SPAM from BA stating that I needed to look at a booking with a link to a site that my virus checker did not like.

I didn't report it to BA but I had just booked a couple of flights and thought it was strange timing.
Ragman
Old Jan 15, 12, 12:06 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 15 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 15, 12, 12:43 pm

All my emails are in the format [email protected]

My BA address hasn't received spam. Which is more than can be said for some fairly large UK firms who should know better.
Old Jan 15, 12, 12:51 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by jghill View Post
All my emails are in the format [email protected]

My BA address hasn't received spam. Which is more than can be said for some fairly large UK firms who should know better.
Agree. I use a very clear format. For example [email protected]. If I follow a referral for example say to spg from BA - then I give them the address of [email protected]. Some very concerning corporations are having their systems breached or databases compromised. When I've alerted them they seem disinterested. We have several household accounts for BA and none of those email addresses have ever gone astray .... yet!
Old Jan 15, 12, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Wouldn't worry too much I don't think they've had a Trip advisor style breach I've also got a unique email address for BA and everyone else. The funny thing is I have a friend who shares my paranoia and we each have an address that we only use for contacting each other. Somehow I've received spam sent from her address recently and we have both checked the mailboxes and never sent anything from those addresses to anyone else. Chances are, as in your case it was just a(n un)lucky hit.
Old Jan 15, 12, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Is it just me who suddenly feels inadequate around email security ?

I just use a standard, singular email account. Is that hopelessly naive?
Old Jan 15, 12, 2:01 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by stueys View Post

Not of itself. We had the need to register many domain names and were lucky enough to be just before the sunami. We are down to 28, 26 are dormant and two current.

If you've ever suffered a virus or trojan you will then do anything to avoid it happening again. They can take over your life and destroy your relationship with your clients and customers if you have any. At one stage one of our domains was receiving the return of 20 to 30 thousand e-surveys per day so the chances that any of those people returning them also sending a virus or trojan was high.

Private individuals are also vulnerable. The key thing in my view is - depending on the volume of mail you receive - is to ensure no virus or trojan can get onto your pcs in the first place. My way is to use Mailwasher Pro on each machine. They have loads of filters that get rid of all the drudge and you manually delete anything that gets this far. MWP basically communicates with your mail server without downloading it - so nothing is yet on your pc. Once that's done it calls up your mail client which also hopefully has antivirus and so basically you should be completely safe.
Old Jan 15, 12, 2:09 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 15 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 15, 12, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mucci, Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by stueys View Post

Email Security - Firstly, that is an oxymoron. email, no matter where you send it is insecure. SMTP protocol is essentially clear text. Anyone on the internet can see an email if you send it, if they have the ways and means. It's not that hard.

At work now, anything that is considered important/critical, must be sent via PGP (a secured protocol) as email is the equivalent of posting a letter to someone without an envelope by leaving it at the end of the road in a bucket and waiting for someone official to come along and pick it up and take to to where it is going. Email was never really designed for what it does now and has been updated internally at most companies, but as soon as you leave the confines of the internal mail systems, then you have lost all security immediately (without something like PGP).

I realise what you guys are all saying regarding setting up a domain name for yourself then setting up [email protected] and thinking that it will not get spammed are hoping you are out flanking the spammer, but unfortunately this is not enough anymore. The best thing you could do is setup a mail address as something like [email protected], it might just catch them out. If you use [email protected], many spammers will use all initials on all domains to see if any work and as soon as they get one that does, BAMM.

BA will not be at fault here (they might be, but it is very unlikely), but if anyone is, it is more likely the ISP they use for their MX records, but SPAM is a multimillion $ business, so they are quite clever at what they do.

anywho like I say, not much you can do.

I'm sure some other techy will come on and say the exact opposite to what I say (we like to disagree with each other for no other reason), but basically, welcome to life, you cannot stop it (I am x-directory on the TPF , but get phone calls all the time from marketers, go figure??)

Matt
Old Jan 15, 12, 2:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Blah Blah...
Originally Posted by gallagtj View Post

rapidsite is just a dns alias for melbourneit.com which is US hosting company. Essentially, anyone could have own the address and be using it (probably a US company, but could quite as easy to anyone in the world). They have been using the name since 1997, so are probably fairly above board (they may have been hacked?).... There you go, no help at all!

Search this Thread