Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Is that why the lifts between the HEX platforms and T5 have no buttons at all?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by stifle
Is that why the lifts between the HEX platforms and T5 have no buttons at all?
Inside the lifts they do have buttons that work - specifically doors close. Trouble is if you're first off the train, even if you deliberately miss the first open lift, people follow you like sheep and you can't close the lift doors (cf T5 shuttle lifts thread kerfufle).

Outside it is automatic, the only problem being that a lot of lifts sit on the lower level between trains, waiting for someone to get in them.

I have the opposite problem inside T5 - my carryon is slung over my shoulders, I don't gossip intently with colleagues, and so I'm usually first in the T5 lifts. If I close the doors as the staff approach, they don't look too happy.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
There is more than one lift but customers often rush over and press the button rather than simply waiting for the next. Often the doors reopen to reveal a full lift, the person waiting looks. The doors start to close and guess what they do.... They push it again. The doors reopen and they stare at the full lift a bit more!
This is one of the weaknesses with the lift system inside T5. If it were modified so that the "call lift" button did not cause the doors of a "departing" lift to re-open, it would all work rather more efficiently.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is one of the weaknesses with the lift system inside T5. If it were modified so that the "call lift" button did not cause the doors of a "departing" lift to re-open, it would all work rather more efficiently.
Completely agree. Also the three lifts from departures in A to the TTS should be like the HEX and underground ones landslide and simply run on auto.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
BA Service

[QUOTE=Genius1;17816534]Crew do not use the same security area or same lanes at most airports.

At Heathrow, all crew and staff at all terminals have a separate security search area.

And on arrival, there is a separate crew and staff immigration gate.[/QUOTE
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Thank you ...I have yet to see crew or other classes of terminal employees stand in th esame security line as we do.

I am surprised that my original post brought us to this point in discussion:

If you read it, my problem was at the baggage pick up which means past all security and means you have reached your destination, be it your home or a hotel.

I invite anyone to say that in such a case crew member has priority over a paying pax, especially when a report taking is under way !

Seriously, it is nice to be nice, but unless we speak up, we are / will be condemned to poor service ! Which means we get the service we deserve ?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
If you read it, my problem was at the baggage pick up which means past all security and means you have reached your destination, be it your home or a hotel.

I invite anyone to say that in such a case crew member has priority over a paying pax, especially when a report taking is under way !
I dont see any reason why crew cant get their bags first or in a special way. This would also reduce a security issue as well. They are working after all.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by origin
I dont see any reason why crew cant get their bags first or in a special way. This would also reduce a security issue as well. They are working after all.
I don't think the OP is saying that crew bags should not come off quickly.

However, if you are at a desk, being served by an agent because your bags have not appeared and the agent is taking the details, it is very rude for someone - even if crew - to interrupt that process because they consider their question/problem more important.

It's nothing about security. One agent was helping one customer, and another staff member decided to try and get their problem dealt with first.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
If there's a separate queue for them, then sure. But, if there is not, and they are on their way home/to the hotel, they should wait in line along with everyone else, who are also possibly on their way home from work.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by DominicB
.... From the moment I landed in LAS, I knew life was going wrong...

No information on landing about where in the airport BA flew from - not even any signs acknowledging what I discovered to be T2 until after leaving the D gates of T1.
So, it's somehow BA's fault that an airport with one BA flight per day doesn't have signage? Yes T2 makes Leeds Bradford look high class, but that's what you get with a massive airport with only 4 international gates.

A lounge where, as Emerald/Gold and in First, I'm cross-questioned about my right to enter it - and which is so full that when I get in, there is literally nowhere to sit, save the computer booths. Boarding that is an angry, cluttered farce, with no provision for premium cabins. My AA issued boarding pass suddenly being deemed not valid, and having to redo the awful boarding process. But - all of that a mere bagatelle...
I didn't think BA had a lounge at LAS, perhaps you're talking about AA's lounge? A 3rd party lounge?

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 16, 2012 at 11:42 am Reason: remove the rhetoric - we don't wish to enflame the discussion
Old Jan 16, 2012, 1:34 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
With regards to the lifts- Sadly it does get a little frustrating. There is more than one lift but customers often rush over and press the button rather than simply waiting for the next. Often the doors reopen to reveal a full lift, the person waiting looks. The doors start to close and guess what they do.... They push it again. The doors reopen and they stare at the full lift a bit more! Of course when crew are in there that is time they are supposed to be using to get to the aircraft as quickly as they can to start their checks. Hence I suspect they may start to focus on moving along quickly to where they are needed.

this has happened on no less than 3 occasions, always on the return and always with just about half a dozen of them in the lift.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
this has happened on no less than 3 occasions, always on the return and always with just about half a dozen of them in the lift.
I always take the escalator now - it is just faster
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
This is your idea of a baggage SNAFU?

Using BA miles I once booked a MIA-GRU flight connecting a revenue flight GRU-GIG. 45 minutes before departure AA cancelled the flight for 'M/X" prob due to low loads feeding the flight from the NE due to blizzards. They stick me on a MIA-EZE flight connecting to BA EZE-GRU which causes me to miss my paid connection. This is Dec. 28th...my bags didn't arrive until January 3rd...despite them telling me every day my bags would arrive that day. Waiting 1 day seems fine to me.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
BA service

@@@@@@@

frankly this argument blows me away as I suspect would 98% of flyers.

So what says I was not working that day and needed to freshen up and attend a meeting after a ten hour night flight? The crew for all we know was headed to a two or more days layover?

Interrupting a paying customer, who pays your salary? Would you appreciate your grocery store employee doing this while you were in process of transacting business? Yes, that employee had just finished his shift and was going home!

to paraphrase a poster, ba humbug.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
@@@@@@@
A genuine but OT question - what are those @ marks referring to, please?

With crew, it doesn't necessarily mean this. There is a possibility that it is related to flight time limitations on 'reduced rest' that requires 10 hours (if I recall correctly) in the accommodation when they take a reduced rest. If they are not at their assigned accommodation for 10 hours, they will have to delay their next flight. So, being held up at baggage collection means they may need to delay their next flight.

I am not saying that this was the case with the problem you encountered, but just offering a possibility that this may have influenced the situation. It still does not excuse barging in front of anyone (regardless of paid customer or not), if that is what happened, but there is a potential reason for their being given priority.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jan 17, 2012 at 12:55 am
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
"Boarding that is an angry, cluttered farce, with no provision for premium cabins. "
Not really B.A.'s fault. If you are in the lounge you are called when premium boarding starts, you do not hear the specific instructions made by the staff for everyone to keep the area clear until their row numbers have been called. Trouble is that everyone congregates around the boarding area and the staff are constantly fending people off. Last time we boarded there was a specific lane for premium passengers, but the hoards were even trying to use that. I love walking past with a little smile the people that the staff have pulled over and made to wait because they tried to jump the queue. They sort of put them in a little lay-by area for all to see. Am I wrong for smirking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.