Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being lied to - or what else does one call it - by BA? Coupled with appalling service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Perspective

I think a little perspective is needed here

"I write this at gone 10pm on a Saturday night, with feelings of intense fury"

I find when I'm at my most furious, I don't tend to communicate to the best of my ability.

"No information on landing about where in the airport BA flew from....."

A) In another thread the OP recalls that he was told which gate the flight was going from when he asked, however he OP didn't know himself which terminal, so any expectation that the individual he asked had that a passenger would know which terminal they wanted, meant the OP was confused as to where he was going. B) is it not a Passengers responsibility to ensure they know which terminal they are flying from ? C) Not BA's fault D) If poor signage caused you issues, I would suggest addressing complaint to the airport not an airline.

"A lounge where, as Emerald/Gold and in First, I'm cross-questioned about my right to enter it - and which is so full that when I get in"

Contradicting statements. Yes BA is well aware that their contract lounge is an issue, as are the staff manning the door. To me it is therefore more important than usual that the staff make sure that anyone has a right to enter, it being so busy. Sadly BA is having to make do with the facilities that LAS airport can provide it at the moment.

"Boarding that is an angry, cluttered farce, with no provision for premium cabins. My AA issued boarding pass suddenly being deemed not valid, and having to redo the awful boarding process"

AA do seem to have issues with issueing boarding passes for BA's flights

"First untruth - at 3pm, I'm told my bag will be delivered to my home (90 mins drive from LHR) by 12.30 the next day. On asking how - given there's only one daily flight from LAS, I'm told that BA don't wait for their own metal, and any/every carrier will be used. Fact: My bag waited until the next day's BA flight."

Given that this very thing has happenend to me, on the same identical routing AA will have offered to get the mis-routed bag back. AA's failure here. Clearly as soon as the BA team arrived they were able to get the back on board. I would rather someone tried and failed to get my bag back early, than wait until the next BA flight - otherwise we'd have "there are other OW carriers, why can't they use them" complaints.

Second untruth - I'm told that even if, by some reason, the bag is on the next BA flight, I'll have it by 6.30pm. And that's not unreasonable, the flight landing at 2.10. I don't - and ring the luggage line, to be told it's coming today.

It's frustrating when promises aren't met, but that doesn't make it an untruth - there are many things that can mean a promise originally made can't be delivered on.

Third untruth - I ring BA at 7.57pm for a final bit of news. The answering machine tells me they are open until 8pm - but they are not, as it's 7.57 and they have gone home.

I believe it's common practice for shops etc to start to deny people access in the run-up before closing. I'm not sure that I see the issue here - except in the light of the 'fury' this becomes a big issue, but I don't turn up at my local barber shop 3 mins before they close expecting them to cut my hair and I don't feel that's in any way unreasonable service.

I can cope with incompetence with a good heart and a forgiving smile, but since arriving in LAS on Thursday early evening (west coast time), I've been shat on without any concern or care by BA - not helped by my status, frankly. Good to know that they have so many customers who are so well of and happy in these troubled times that they can allow such shoddy customer service.

Since arriving in LAS on Thursday it seems the OP was let down by a lack of planning on his part to understand where they needed to be when at LAS, also the local airport signage. American Airlines and had an unfortunate situation where trying to get your bag back BA's customer service has mis-set expectation (in good faith), and then you (to use my metaphor) turned up at the barber shop 3 mins before the closed wanting your hair cut.

Perspective is a funny thing, the exact same thing happenend to me, in almost exactly the same sequence and I saw BA's mis-set expectation as them trying to get me information as and when they had it as and when I asked for it - and yes I was flying F and yes I'm a GGL if we believe status is a player here.

What's really interesting is this PAX is a Euro-Gold, so BA would not have seen LHR as his home location, if the passenger had made this clear, BA would have offered (in F on that route) a £200 pre-paid VISA card to allow the OP to purchase clothes and other items.

As much as this post might sound like I'm attacking the OP, I'm not - just pointing out that sometimes writing in 'fury' at 10pm after a Longhaul flight experience doesn't always deliver the best reporting or perspective on things - and any post that ends with an "I'm off" statement should be questioned before 'posting' . Reading the OP's posts in other threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post17804292

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post17814246

... it doesn't sound like he's had the best of days but I'm not sure that this is really "I'm going back to Star" territory. Hope the OP get's his bags back and feels a little less furious today

Ed
http://www.teamstorm.com

Last edited by TeamStorm; Jan 15, 2012 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
There's often a good reason for that, and many airports have crew specific security lines. The one that gets me is in T5 when at the lifts in T5B CC look you in the eye while pressing the close door button repeatedly. The least they could do is look away and pretend they haven't seen you!
We always use the lifts there, much faster than the escalators. Only noticed them when we saw the CC using them. Are we not meant to use them?

Last edited by moneypooraviosrich; Jan 17, 2012 at 1:25 am
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:06 am

Back to the other points in the OP, I suspect that the issues getting into the lounge were because the (contracted) lounge only accepts boarding passes that have been stamped by the check-in agents - if the OP had a boarding pass issued in LAX and no bags to check-in at LAS, he/she probably didn't have this done.

This may be a requirement of the lounge company, as they have a number of different airlines using it and it's easier for the airline to determine eligibility than train the lounge staff in all of the various permutations of frequent flyer and travel class (which even BA staff get wrong sometimes!). Looks like something BA need to look at for connecting passengers though.

Signage in the main terminal at LAS isn't great for flights leaving from T2 - they just show the gate number on the departure screens, rather than the satellite and gate (e.g. just 2 rather than D31 for Terminal 1). It is actually only a 5-10 minute easy walk between the two, but only if you know where you are going. I imagine that not many people connect from domestic to international flights at LAS (in fact, until BA started flying from T2 were there any possible connections in this way?) - again, BA need to speak to the airport to get them to improve this, or ask AA to have people meeting any flights with connecting passengers to give them some assistance. When T3 opens this summer, there will be an air-side train connection between T3 and the D gates in the main terminal, which should help.

The lounge is small but usually okay unless one of the preceeding flights is delayed - my experience has been that the staff announce boarding and take you through the rear exit (by the toilets) directly into the gate area, and straight into the priority boarding line.

The shortcomings of T2 have been much discussed on this forum; hopefully T3 will see some of these fixed - there is an update on construction at Mccarran, which includes some info on T3 opening in late June 2012, here:

http://cms.mccarran.com/dsweb/Get/Document-300211

Finally, I hope the OP gets his luggage back safely
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:10 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stoneman
We always use the lifts there, much faster than the escalators. Only noticed them when we say CC using them. Are we not meant to use them?

They are for everyone, which is why I feel it's rude for CC to stand there repeatedly pressing the close door button as they see you rushing to make it in time. It's the bare faced cheek of them not looking away they know what they are doing and the should press the door open. I used to work in a department store as a teenager and if I didn't hold a lift door open for customers I would get reprimanded. On way home or not, if you are wearing uniform you are representing the company.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ag51
Back to the other points in the OP, I suspect that the issues getting into the lounge were because the (contracted) lounge only accepts boarding passes that have been stamped by the check-in agents - if the OP had a boarding pass issued in LAX and no bags to check-in at LAS, he/she probably didn't have this done.
That's most likely what the issue was here; a CW (or F) BA or AA boarding pass doesn't automatically get you into the lounge at LAS - it has to be stamped by the check-in agent. I learned this to my cost once, but the lounge agent made a phone call and I was let in. Since then, I make sure I get the stamp.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TeamStorm
I think a little perspective is needed here
Excellent post. Finally some common sense and persepective.

I read the the first post and thought a big fat "so what".

As a GCH, who presumably travels reasonable frequently, how can anyone, seriously, get so miffed about normal travel issues.

Signposting is poor. Big deal.
Lounge is crowded. Surely this isn't the first time in a crowded lounge.
BP has to be re-printed. Seriously, this warrants a complaint?
Bag is delayed. It happens.

I think some perspective is needed. As rants go, this is quite ridiculous.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
As a GCH, who presumably travels reasonable frequently, how can anyone, seriously, get so miffed about normal travel issues.
I thought he was silver. I dont understand where the GCH comes from.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by origin
I thought he was silver. I dont understand where the GCH comes from.
"A lounge where, as Emerald/Gold and in First,...."
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CT-UK
"A lounge where, as Emerald/Gold and in First,...."
Ahh thanks, I saw an older thread where he wanted to keep silver. The first post on this thread I read briefly this morning.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I agree with this - it's always better to set realistic expectations. The only time my bag went astray (famous last words...) was with Malev and they handled it very well.
I had a similier experience with BA on a short hop over to BOD.
It was a few years ago and the only time they ever lost my case...

Our case didn't arrive and there was no one to talk to at BA in London as it was a Sunday, but I called the following morning and was told our case was on its way and will be with us by lunch time.
However they also said that in the meantime they were happy for us to go out and spend £300 on what ever it was we needed in the meantime and they would reimburse us.

We were just loyaly Blue card holders at the time, and travelled in ET.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:46 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=TeamStorm;17816719]

Contradicting statements. Yes BA is well aware that their contract lounge is an issue, as are the staff manning the door. To me it is therefore more important than usual that the staff make sure that anyone has a right to enter, it being so busy. Sadly BA is having to make do with the facilities that LAS airport can provide it at the moment.

AA do seem to have issues with issueing boarding passes for BA's flights

[QUOTE=TeamStorm;17816719]

I think these two issues have now been well documented. However, it is not the passenger's "fault" that the airline a) can't figure out how to follow their own lounge access procedures without offending the passengers and b) can't figure out how to accept boarding passes.

BTW, in my experience BA does accept AA boarding passes quite well.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by OxonCantab

I think these two issues have now been well documented. However, it is not the passenger's "fault" that the airline a) can't figure out how to follow their own lounge access procedures without offending the passengers and b) can't figure out how to accept boarding passes.

BTW, in my experience BA does accept AA boarding passes quite well.
I agree with you that it isn't the passengers fault, but if AA have issued a BA boarding pass incorrectly then BA will have to reissue it.

It sounds to me as well, given the tone of the post, that if BA had laid on a red carpet with dancing girls (or boys), a helicopter from the lounge to the aircraft and evicted every other passenger from his cabin he still would have moaned. We've all been there - you get yourself into such a mood that nothing will please you - but (speaking for myself) I recognise this mood in myself and just try to be as brief with people as possible and keep myself to myself.

I think the OP has probably had a less-than-stellar experience but it's been blown out of proportion in my view. Losing your bag for 3 (?) days is probably the main complaint and it's not ideal but if he's the frequent traveller he says he is then surely he's aware that sometimes bags do go astray.

Sorry to say I think the OP is over-reacting - hopefully a good nights sleep will restore some perspective.

BAH
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I agree. They should be made to wait. If it delays the flight they're heading to, so what? After all, they are only serfs.
Serfs? Nonsense we are Ariels?

Now - the lifts at T5B. A lot of our crew members do not live in London and may well be rushing to make connections themselves. The other night I came in on BA178 and we had a crew member who was really rushing to try and make the last GLA of the night. She had very little time - and unfortunately being human she preferred to get the last flight home rather than have to sleep over at LHR and fly the next morning. I am certain that this is the case and the lifts at T5 can take an age. Frankly, I can think of lots of things that would irritate me as a passenger less than that.

I must also remember that I must not take liberties in traffic as I drive home in the car as I am probably bringing the company into disripute if I am seen doing so by passengers who have lost their bags or had the lift door shut in their face.

Now - I have to admit that I do have a sneaking sympathy as it is often the case that I have to let lifts go whilst on lay over, or indeed wait interminably whilst the maids move their carts, vacuums, and similar weaponry for servicing (no one says "cleaning" any more - have you noticed probably as they don't) the rooms.

Now as for the bags - the OP has once again confirmed that I will travel hand luggage only wherever and whenever possible. As Jenbel has said connections and luggage just do not seem to work well.

Finally - lies - to me a lie is a deliberate untruth told by someone who knows this to be untrue. I was not there - but I strongly suspect that the Op was told what was deemed at the time to be true to the best of their belief and knowledge. Having been in this business for too many years, I can say without hesitation that in aviation things change all the time. it is totally fluid. Had the bags been sitting on the doorstep upon his return, I doubt whether the agent who said that they would be there at 6.30 would have been accused of lying. I really cannot see why the agent would lie - what reason would he-she have other than to get rid of the OP and why would he do that?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I merely have a more relaxed attitude to the bag delay because of the cover and it does leave me feeling less stressed about it, knowing that I would be compensated somewhat for the inconvenience caused, particularly as I often have trips back to back and not getting my suitcase back in time has resulted in having to buy a new one for the next trip (thankfully I now have many more uitcases than I can physically carry, so no need for buying a new one).
My approach also LTN Phobia. Life is too short to be worried over a missing bag. Experiences - and several of them - have shown me that the bag will turn up and be delivered to my door, often quite some distance from the airport! I think the processing of mislaid baggage is a complex one and the "holding airport" may route the bag in a different way to what the "receiving airport" expects. I don't think staff deliberately mislead customers, simply that it's quite a dynamic process with individuals making decisions on the spot. I don't bother chasing my bag - I trust in it being delivered within the next few days.

Sounds as if you're journey got off to a bad start OP. Sorry it didn't appear to get any better. You didn't comment on the F service, I hope the flight at least was comfortable.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:30 am

With regards to the lifts- Sadly it does get a little frustrating. There is more than one lift but customers often rush over and press the button rather than simply waiting for the next. Often the doors reopen to reveal a full lift, the person waiting looks. The doors start to close and guess what they do.... They push it again. The doors reopen and they stare at the full lift a bit more! Of course when crew are in there that is time they are supposed to be using to get to the aircraft as quickly as they can to start their checks. Hence I suspect they may start to focus on moving along quickly to where they are needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.