FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What is the "Ideal" Amount of Air Travel for You? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1302445-what-ideal-amount-air-travel-you.html)

Paralytic Jan 14, 2012 12:21 pm

What is the "Ideal" Amount of Air Travel for You?

I was thinking about my 2011 air travel and for the first time in a while, I think I managed to do the amount of travel that was "just right" for me.

A few years ago, many of my flights were EDI-LHR-EDI domestics (either same day or a few days) with a couple of transatlantic flights but I didn't really enjoy the early start/late return of the domestics. However, my job role changed at the end of 2010 and my travel last year was a typically a transatlantic flight every 2-3 months.

This let me see a bit of the world, meet up with colleagues (and friends), ensured I retained Silver (helps with personal travel and also a miles accelerator) but wasn't too much flying so that it really interfered with home life.

So, what do you consider the "ideal" amount of air travel for you, and have you managed to reach that goal?

HIDDY Jan 14, 2012 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic (Post 17813422)
So, what do you consider the "ideal" amount of air travel for you, and have you managed to reach that goal?

I reach my goal quite easily......the least amount of long haul flights in a year the better as far as I'm concerned. As most from/to here are overnight I detest them even more.
I do like short haul flying and really should do more down this neck of the woods but it's so much hassle getting to EZE or AEP that to do it for a weekend away is simply not worth it. Plus, we can't anyway due to commitments at home.

BingBongBoy Jan 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Hmm... In an ideal, or maybe fantasy world... Where I was not paying...

I would ideally have 3 Long Haul trips a year, 2 in J and one treat in F...

Maybe 3 European long weekend trips in C...

4 visits home on Domestics.

That would do me...

Self funded, about 1/8th of that... :D

BA304 Jan 14, 2012 12:42 pm

All my travel is for pleasure so I set my own number of flights and therefore am fairly happy flying once per fortnight(ish) with a 50/50 LH/SH split. :)

Edit: Thinking about it I would like to travel a little more but it's difficult to find the time.

LondonAndy Jan 14, 2012 12:44 pm

I'd say either Europe (not fussy on cabin!) fortnightly or CW monthly would be the most I'd want to do.

Ideally probably CW every two months with a couple of SH (domestic/Europe) thrown in inbetween would be my ideal.

In reality, as I don't get to fly for work, it tends to be 3 x CW a year and about 6 European/domestic flights.

stueys Jan 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Somewhere at about 1800-2000 tier points a year I think (not flying F). I was a shade over 3k last year and that was too much to be honest.

BushwoodCountryClub Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm

I think an average of 1.5 sectors per week spread over a year seems OK to me, with this being a 60/40 split short to longhaul. Although life on the move is mostly good, I do find I need a solid week at home at least once a month (I enjoy cooking for a start, and buying food for only 2/3 days makes for a lot of wastage....!)

GRALISTAIR Jan 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Well sadly my wife does not share my passion. So if I want to remain married it is probably about 75K so enough to retain PM on DL.

Or to put another way about 6 round trips back to Blighty each year and some business trips.

Now assuming I was not married or wanted a divorce, it would be minimum 1 long haul per month and minimum 1 RT inside US each week.

simoflyer Jan 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I generally average one trip per month which is a mixture between short and long haul. Very happy with this arrangement.

GRALISTAIR Jan 14, 2012 1:38 pm

If money was no object, would probably move back to Blighty and use BA!!

heckenhocker Jan 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by stueys (Post 17813529)
Somewhere at about 1800-2000 tier points a year I think (not flying F). I was a shade over 3k last year and that was too much to be honest.

now that's a true FT answer ..no focus on destinations, number of trips...just straight to the TP :D

Genius1 Jan 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Ideally, I would like 3-4 Club World/First trips, and 6-8 Club Europe trips per year.

Averaging out at about one trip per month.

lukew Jan 14, 2012 2:34 pm

I enjoy what I do at present. SH once a month + 4-5 LH per year.

BAGoldBoy Jan 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Oz once a year in F, US in J or F 2-3 times a year for pleasure and 2 business flights, 3-4 CE for pleasure and 6-8 CE and domestic flights

That would suit me

nh1980 Jan 14, 2012 2:49 pm

I would like at least 2-3 long haul trips a year (preferably CW) and about 3 short-hauls. Now I have silver (and now I never want it to lapse!), happy to do short-hauls in Euro Traveller (e.g. for skiing or city breaks) as have lounge access and extra baggage allowance anyway - the on-board meal and extra space for me aren't that essential for 1-2 hours, unless of course work is paying for it but sadly most of my travel seems to be Eurostar to Paris these days!