Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changing a flight after checking in online?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Due to a family emergency I need to postpone a business trip by about a week, but the scheduled departure is tomorrow and I've already checked in online for my outbound flight. Now the options for changing that flight are not available, because it lists that part of the itinerary as "Travelled".

Is there any way to "cancel" an online check-in? Is there anything at all I can do about my problem through MMB? If not, does anyone know if I will have any luck changing the flight on the phone with BA when their reservations line opens tomorrow morning? At that point it will be only 2.5 hours prior to departure.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by JonV
Due to a family emergency I need to postpone a business trip by about a week, but the scheduled departure is tomorrow and I've already checked in online for my outbound flight. Now the options for changing that flight are not available, because it lists that part of the itinerary as "Travelled".

Is there any way to "cancel" an online check-in? Is there anything at all I can do about my problem through MMB? If not, does anyone know if I will have any luck changing the flight on the phone with BA when their reservations line opens tomorrow morning? At that point it will be only 2.5 hours prior to departure.
The simple answer is no.

You need to get on the phone to BA. Will all depend on the fare rules of your ticket, not whether you have checked in or not to whether you can make a change to the dates you want to travel on.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Here is what MMB says about my ticket:

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of 1300 NOK or an upgrade fee of 1300 NOK plus any difference in fare. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket

If the booking is cancelled before your first flight, a cancellation fee of 1300 NOK per ticket applies
Which is a relief, since I'll be able to call them 2.5 hours before departure, which should count as "at any time before"

For the cancellation, when it says "per ticket", does that mean 1300 NOK for cancelling the whole itinerary, or is it per flight?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: ABBA
I did this (post scheduled take off), through my travel agent. They reserved me a seat on the new flight, but couldn't issue the ticket until I'd been offloaded from the old flight. BA can handle that.

(BA really should have a 24/7 call centre)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Just an update here: I was worried about incurring an extra fee due to having to call BA, but when I called two hours before my scheduled departure they were able to simply offload me from the flight, which did not in itself incur any service fee. At that point I was able to cancel the booking on my own via the MMB options.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: BA
A few months ago I OLCI'd for an EDI-LCY flight convinced that I would make it. As the day progressed it was clear that I wouldn't and I needed to get on a later flight (I had a fully flexible Business UK ticket).

I rang BA who were able to reverse the check-in process (voluntarily offloading me I suppose) and then change my flight. The person on the phone confirmed that there was no way of doing this online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.