Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Countdown to A380 (first delivery arrived, 4 July)....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
I would imagine, as will all other carriers who introduced it, there will be a period of time where you will be able to hop backwards and forward to CDG, or maybe a little further, such as MAD till your hearts content on the beast... ^

And, hopefully, I will be there, welcoming you aboard with a glass of something fizzy...!
Sounds like we should be planning an FT Do on the first flight.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
As for the first true long haul A380 route, I suspect BA will send it to JFK. A LHR-JFK-LHR flight is easily done within 24hrs even taking into account delays for any teething problems. Plus the fact BA have a hand full of flights on the NYC route, so passengers are more easily accommodated on other flights should something major crop up.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I think we can expect new Club World seats for the A380.

WTP and WT will likely be the existing 77W seats.

I also predict a re-designed First cabin, taking all the design elements of New First (ie. lighting, colourscheme etc.) but with more of a 'suite' element (ie. wider seat, potentially not angled to window with larger storage etc.).

I plan to fly on one of the first 'proper' longhaul A380 flights in First - likely not in the first month or so when all press etc. will be getting their free upgrades, but when service has bedded down slightly.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
Just a thought, can the high lifter reach the upper deck doors to board disabled passengers, if not then BA will have to put All 4 classes on the main deck to comply with DDA rules
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by stuart101
Just a thought, can the high lifter reach the upper deck doors to board disabled passengers, if not then BA will have to put All 4 classes on the main deck to comply with DDA rules
There are special high loaders for A380s. How do you think SQ, EK, QF, AF, LH, KE and CZ manage?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
That is why I asked, not all of us are experts on the configuration of the A380 of other airlines
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: British airways executive club
My first post.

When BA launch WT+ they said it was to change the way we travel, and adding a flat bed to business was to keep up with the 21st century. What if BA were to be the only airline to introduce a 5th cabin to its A380 fleet. Suit, first, club, wt+ and wt.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA gold
Hmm, if it's one year to go, wouldn't it start appearing (directly (as an A380) or indirectly (blank like the codeshared QF A380s)) when one buys a ticket on a route an A380 might be serving on within a few months? @:-)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:20 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Genius1
There are special high loaders for A380s. How do you think SQ, EK, QF, AF, LH, KE and CZ manage?
As far as I know they aren't bound by the same CAA rules as BA on this matter.

Do the arrangements for A380s provide a workaround for the usual rules about having all cabins on the main deck?

Urgh, I can't believe this is what I'm doing on a Friday night.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:23 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by imflyinghigh
My first post.

When BA launch WT+ they said it was to change the way we travel, and adding a flat bed to business was to keep up with the 21st century. What if BA were to be the only airline to introduce a 5th cabin to its A380 fleet. Suit, first, club, wt+ and wt.
Welcome to our friendly IBB
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by BA304
Do the arrangements for A380s provide a workaround for the usual rules about having all cabins on the main deck?
I don't believe, strictly, that is the rule. The rule is that disabled people should have access to all cabins. Obviously the top deck of a 747 is probably impossible for a wheelchair user, but with an A380 because each deck is accessible from an airbridge I don't see this as an issue. You could have (say) First and Economy on the lower deck and Business and Economy Plus on the top deck.

BAH
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:35 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
I don't believe, strictly, that is the rule. The rule is that disabled people should have access to all cabins. Obviously the top deck of a 747 is probably impossible for a wheelchair user, but with an A380 because each deck is accessible from an airbridge I don't see this as an issue. You could have (say) First and Economy on the lower deck and Business and Economy Plus on the top deck.

BAH
Would the potential routes be restricted in that case? JNB has been suggested but I don't believe there any gates which access the upper deck (Edit - there are according to wikipedia).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by BA304
Would the potential routes be restricted in that case? JNB has been suggested but I don't believe there any gates which access the upper deck.
I have zero idea, but if a destination truly had that restriction then I guess it would fall foul of the rules.

Do A380s fly to JNB now with any airline ? If so, how do they handle it - 2 airbridges to the lower (or upper) deck only ? I bet boarding is a royal pain if so.

BAH

(you edited as I was typing. Note to self: type FASTER !!!)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Potential to fly to location that currently has two flights/day service? I am thinking of IAH. I hope not though, Lhansa start their A380 FRA->IAH in August, so it would be competition for that. Drop 1 AC so cost savings?

Odd Euro route is IAH for differing concepts of best metal to use.... COA has 2 777's; BA is either 2 777's or 2 744's (depending on time of year); AF fly something (AirBus I suppose); KLM flys 1 74M (the combi passenger/freight plane) and a 737 Business only (at least they used to). LH was AB330/40 then 744 now A380 from next summer - they must be seeing increased numbers?

LH 380 layout looks awful (IMHO) - even Business is 90+ along the UD with handful of F. LD all "coach" - all 1000 or so ("slight" exagg on my part - but only slight!).

Would like BA to go to 1 744 and 1 777 - would make nice choice to have to make. If ends up as one 380 only, then hope the priority boarding (and disembarking) is strictly adhered to (as long as in CW or F) - if in WT/WT+ then maybe everyone for themselves
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Gash
Potential to fly to location that currently has two flights/day service? I am thinking of IAH. I hope not though, Lhansa start their A380 FRA->IAH in August, so it would be competition for that. Drop 1 AC so cost savings?

Odd Euro route is IAH for differing concepts of best metal to use.... COA has 2 777's; BA is either 2 777's or 2 744's (depending on time of year); AF fly something (AirBus I suppose); KLM flys 1 74M (the combi passenger/freight plane) and a 737 Business only (at least they used to). LH was AB330/40 then 744 now A380 from next summer - they must be seeing increased numbers?

LH 380 layout looks awful (IMHO) - even Business is 90+ along the UD with handful of F. LD all "coach" - all 1000 or so ("slight" exagg on my part - but only slight!).

Would like BA to go to 1 744 and 1 777 - would make nice choice to have to make. If ends up as one 380 only, then hope the priority boarding (and disembarking) is strictly adhered to (as long as in CW or F) - if in WT/WT+ then maybe everyone for themselves
I can see why LH would fly its most premium aircraft to IAH; FRA seems to be the connection point of choice for the Middle East and Africa and with all the energy traffic between IAH and there I'd think it's a good use of the aircraft and a popular route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.