Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BAEC partner redemptions with no fuel surcharges

BAEC partner redemptions with no fuel surcharges

Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since there seem to be so many postings complaining about the fuel surcharges that BAEC assesses on many award redemptions, I thought it would be useful to start a thread that lists those partner redemptions that are free of such surcharges. Mods: feel free to make this a Sticky if you think it appropriate.

As of January 12, 2012, the following BAEC partner redemptions are believed to be free of fuel surcharges:

Alaska Airlines: all flights

American Airlines: flights wholly within North America (including Hawaii and the Caribbean); flights between North America and South America

LAN (including LAN Argentina, LAN Ecuador, and LAN Peru): all flights

Qantas: intra-Australia flights

BA and all partners: all flights ex-Brazil*

In addition, Aer Lingus trans-Atlantic flights have very low fuel surcharges.

* Note: As of April, 2012, BA has instituted fuel surcharges on award flights ex-Brazil on BA metal.

Edited on October 22, 2012, to add that it appears that BA is now not collecting YQ on award itineraries originating in Brazil.

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:55 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Also check out for flights ex-HKG, TPE and ICN. They have lower fuel surcharges there on most carriers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:40 pm

Good idea!

It would helpful to note the approximate level of some partners that charge fuel surcharges too, since sometimes you can't avoid the YQ and you may want to pick a flight that has a somewhat reasonable YQ.

For example, CX's fuel surcharges are relatively reasonable. A JFK-HKG one-way is about $140 USD (or less than $300 USD roundtrip).

In contrast, JAL's fuel surcharges are considerably higher. A JFK-NRT one-way is about $288 USD (or close to $600 USD roundtrip).

Because of the JBV, AA's fuel surcharges to NRT are the same as JAL. However, AA's fuel surcharges to China are somewhat lower. A ORD-PVG one-way is about $159 USD (or just over $300 USD roundtrip).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Good idea!

It would helpful to note the approximate level of some partners that charge fuel surcharges too, since sometimes you can't avoid the YQ and you may want to pick a flight that has a somewhat reasonable YQ.

For example, CX's fuel surcharges are relatively reasonable. A JFK-HKG one-way is about $140 USD (or less than $300 USD roundtrip).

In contrast, JAL's fuel surcharges are considerably higher. A JFK-NRT one-way is about $288 USD (or close to $600 USD roundtrip).

Because of the JBV, AA's fuel surcharges to NRT are the same as JAL. However, AA's fuel surcharges to China are somewhat lower. A ORD-PVG one-way is about $159 USD (or just over $300 USD roundtrip).
When was the CX YQ data point? I believe your info on CX YQ is outdated.

I priced out a CX ORD-HKG last July, the YQ was $400 r/t. Several others have posted their fees were in the $400 region as well on CX redemption.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
When was the CX YQ data point? I believe your info on CX YQ is outdated.

I priced out a CX ORD-HKG last July, the YQ was $400 r/t. Several others have posted their fees were in the $400 region as well on CX redemption.
My happy friend, I believe your info on CX YQ is outdated.

The information was gathered just today. Further, I have just priced out ORD-HKG-ORD for Feb 1 - Feb 15, and CX YQ is $275.60 USD.

Keep in mind that this is just the YQ. It does not include any airport fees or goverment taxes.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Great thread. For AA flights to South America, there does not seem to be YQ when booked online, but I think there is if you call BAEC.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jan 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Great thread. For AA flights to South America, there does not seem to be YQ when booked online, but there is you call BAEC.
If tha's true, there is something seriously amiss. How can that be justified as a policy?

tb
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Not fuel but where else do I put this for advice?
This week changed a NCL-LHR and a LHR-NCL, both fully flex but halves of different tickets, very recently purchased. ba.com asked for Ł8.90 on both of them and showed "tax". Phoned BA, very helpful lady looked into bookings, confirmed full fare and went away for 5 mins. Came back & said it was a glitch, changed both for free.
30 mins later she 'phned me, very apologetic, but said the NCL-LHR on Feb 1st would be charged as NCL introduce a departure tax on Feb 1st. OK, can't find any info on internet, but am sure she is right.
But, trying to move CE Reward booking to Stockholm by one day in June, ba.com wants new Ł20. Surely once paid for, tax changes don't apply? Is it a glitch folks?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
not so on Aer Lingus, or am I missing something

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since there seem to be so many postings complaining about the fuel surcharges that BAEC assesses on many award redemptions, I thought it would be useful to start a thread that lists those partner redemptions that are free of such surcharges. Mods: feel free to make this a Sticky if you think it appropriate.

As of January 12, 2012, the following BAEC partner redemptions are believed to be free of fuel surcharges:

American Airlines: flights wholly within North America (including Hawaii and the Caribbean); flights between North America and South America

BA and all partners: all flights ex-Brazil

I just tried a ORD-DUB R/T in business and it came back with $700 plus in fees/fuel surcharge/etc..., so is this really a bargain for a free ticket compared to other Trans Atlantic options?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ORDNorth

BA and all partners: all flights ex-Brazil

I just tried a ORD-DUB R/T in business and it came back with $700 plus in fees/fuel surcharge/etc..., so is this really a bargain for a free ticket compared to other Trans Atlantic options?
How did you "try" ORD-DUB? It is only TATL travel on EI that has low fees. Did you call BAEC and specify that you only wanted to travel on EI? (EI redemptions cannot be booked on ba.com.)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
Unless this is a very recent change, AS does have the surcharges.

Sorry, misunderstood this. AS passes on the BA charges, but not the other way.......

Last edited by NotHome; Feb 1, 2012 at 5:12 pm
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by NotHome
Unless this is a very recent change, AS does have the surcharges.

Sorry, misunderstood this. AS passes on the BA charges, but not the other way.......
You gave me a scare.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:30 pm

Angry

How did you "try" ORD-DUB? It is only TATL travel on EI that has low fees. Did you call BAEC and specify that you only wanted to travel on EI? (EI redemptions cannot be booked on ba.com.)
I am clearly all turned around on this, so following your good advice, I just spent 30 minutes trying to call BA, who politely pointed me to the WEB site to make my booking, as they can't staff the phone lines sufficient to handle my call!!!: I am sitting on 500,000 plus BAEC points and simply doubt I will ever fly them again, am I wrong to respond this way?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDNorth

I am clearly all turned around on this, so following your good advice, I just spent 30 minutes trying to call BA, who politely pointed me to the WEB site to make my booking, as they can't staff the phone lines sufficient to handle my call!!!: I am sitting on 500,000 plus BAEC points and simply doubt I will ever fly them again, am I wrong to respond this way?
You must call the BAEC Service Center back and make it clear to them that you are trying to book an award redemption on Aer Lingus, and that ba.com only supports award bookings on BA and BA's oneworld partners. Aer Lingus is not a oneworld partner, so Aer Lingus redemptions cannot be booked on ba.com. (The same is true for Avios award bookings on Alaska Airlines, another non-oneworld partner.)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:37 am

Well, thank you once again Flyer Talk. Just was able to get a live person on the phone at BAEC in Jacksonville. Confirmed, ORD - DUB in business is 80,K Avios and $121.45 in taxes/fees/surcharges. Looks like the family of four trip across the Atlantic is BACK ON! Yahoo!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.