Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles to blow---Avios tips.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Miles to blow---Avios tips.

Hey, first time on the board. Unlike at all the US airlines I have miles from (and regularly use them), I am having trouble utilizing 110k Avios for BA---every flight I try and book is either unavailable, or is accompanied by fees that are more than a economy ticket on another airline.

Looking for a quick trip anywhere (outside of the US or Vancouver) to use these miles without getting hit with crazy fees and where BA or partners actually have availability (looking to fly Club World or First). Any ideas to share from past experiences of good ways to use these miles and get somewhere? Am a regular AA/Delta business class passenger, and looking to see what BA (or partner airlines through Avios) has to offer without having to lay out a ton of cash in taxes and fees.

Ideas?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:45 pm

This is a worthwhile thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-so-high.html

Your specific starting and end point would help to narrow down our responses.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Saw that, just having no luck. Need to go from JFK-?-JFK.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by mdh1727
Saw that, just having no luck. Need to go from JFK-?-JFK.
Well, availability is usually good for F to LHR, and you would certainly save money over the cash fare for such a trip. I would also recommend having a read of the FT Dashboard at the top of this forum.

It's worth noting that the BA board is a place full of people who are passionate about the airline, so I would avoid against inflamatory language such as 'crazy' fees - they are what they are, but can be reduced by some careful routing.

For Europe, try flying to Dublin and then taking a completely separate ticket onward to UK/ wherever. Or consider using the miles for trips within north america - if you can find sAAver awards with AA, then they are available with BA miles.

As a rule, the best use of miles is to take a trip you were planning to go on anyway. For BA miles, the clue is in teh word 'Executive' and the miles are even better used to fly in a premium cabin (for about the costs of a ticket in economy) or for a last minute trip in any cabin (where the fare is otherwise very high).
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Venezuela...the most violent country in S America.

Availability to Caracas shouldn't be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.