Tier Point run madness ??? or doable

Old Jan 12, 12, 10:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Tier Point run madness ??? or doable

This might well seem a bit much but im currently sat on 340 tier points as Silver with a year end of 8th April 2012. Currently only have 3 BA flights under my belt.

Looking at trying to keep Silver for bag allowance, lounge access for potentially some long haul Y flights.

My plan being 20 mins away from NQY would be the following:

Ticket 1:
BA6171 07:20 NQY-LGW (Y) operated by BE
BA2762 15:05 LGW-AMS (Y)

Ticket 2:
BA2772 11:50 LGW-JER (Y) and take if offered the cheap MMB upgrade

Ticket 3:
BA2773 13:25 JER-LGW (Y) and take if offered the cheap MMB upgrade

Then off to AMS on ticket 1.

Ticket 4:
BA2763 17:55 AMS-LGW (Y)
BA6174 20:10 LGW-NQY (Y) operated by BE

now if the upgrades are offered in MMB i think that should give me 120 tier points ?

How doable would this be ? from what i can see LGW-AMS-LGW & LGW-JER-LGW will both be on the same aircraft so simply jumping off, quick drink in the lounge and then straight back on ?

Anyone done anything as stupid ?

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,136
Obviously, any delays would scupper your plans. I would remember afternoon/evening (and for that matter, morning ) LGW shorthaul on-time performance is pretty poor (in my experience).

Would I do it personally? Probably not.
rossmacd is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Posts: 2,048
If you do this, please please please check a bag
mad_rich is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Posts: 3,531
It seems a lot a hassle and risk, for not that many TPs. I don't know how much it would cost though, and if it is good value.
Also, if you don't get MMB upgrades offered, you'd only get 60 points. Are you on a 400 or 600 renewal?
BlackBerryAddict is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:28 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict View Post
It seems a lot a hassle and risk, for not that many TPs. I don't know how much it would cost though, and if it is good value.
Also, if you don't get MMB upgrades offered, you'd only get 60 points. Are you on a 400 or 600 renewal?
Im a 600 renewal im afraid

its either this or trying to plan out a weekend somewhere combined with a tier point run of some description.

My ideal way of doing something would of been a weekend in JER but ba.com currently wont allow me to book NQY-LGW-JER return, as i was looking to book that in Y and then do a JER-AMS-JER in CE

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Posts: 3,531
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Im a 600 renewal im afraid

its either this or trying to plan out a weekend somewhere combined with a tier point run of some description.

My ideal way of doing something would of been a weekend in JER but ba.com currently wont allow me to book NQY-LGW-JER return, as i was looking to book that in Y and then do a JER-AMS-JER in CE

cs
So don't you need another 260 TPs then? Have you got other flights booked, or are you going to do this trick 2.5 times?
BlackBerryAddict is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 10:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 260
Well you did ask and, if I try to be objective the answer, at various levels seem to be "madness".
quaintass is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:00 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Programs: BAEC/IB
Posts: 37,776
"And just how much is this going to cost?"

That's what she'll say you know.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:16 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by quaintass View Post
Well you did ask and, if I try to be objective the answer, at various levels seem to be "madness".
Thought so !!!!
cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 11:17 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
"And just how much is this going to cost?"

That's what she'll say you know.

True !!
But shes the one who loves the lounges when flying !!!

cs
cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 12:10 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 487
this is perfectly doable. I'm flying LHR-continental europe-US-Mexico-US-LHR for a mileage run shortly
OxonCantab is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 12:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Posts: 779
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
Looking at trying to keep Silver for bag allowance, lounge access for potentially some long haul Y flights.
CX gold from amex plat gives you all of this (I think)... And 300 a year, 42k points and no hassle with extra flights - not quite the same as BA silver, but damn near it...
Jamjaw is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 12:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: BAEC Silver, LH M&M Pleb, VS FC Pleb, Hilton Diamond, IHG Pleb
Posts: 257
We should all be pleading with Simon to do this - I foresee a "LIVE UPDATES" TR, whilst we voyeurs, unable to tear our eyes away from the impending train-wreck, cheer and holler from the sidelines as Simon sprints from gate to gate!
Flying Low is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 6:56 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by Flying Low View Post
We should all be pleading with Simon to do this - I foresee a "LIVE UPDATES" TR, whilst we voyeurs, unable to tear our eyes away from the impending train-wreck, cheer and holler from the sidelines as Simon sprints from gate to gate!

cornishsimon is offline  
Old Jan 12, 12, 7:12 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Quite close to NQY
Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Posts: 9,321
I would say that im not against other ideas, in fact i would welcome them..............

cheapest 260 tier points, shortest amount of time, best way of doing it for the least money ?

cs
cornishsimon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread