143k Miles + Voucher NYC -> Berlin?

Old Jan 11, 12, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Red face 143k Miles + Voucher NYC -> Berlin?

Greetings amigos,

This is my first time posting here, so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

I'd like a little help figuring out a trip form NYC -> Berlin for me + companion.

I have 143k points from BA, and a eVoucher for hitting the spending limit on my BA credit card.

I'd like to take First class from NYC -> London, and I don't care about the other leg of the flight.

I looked today (with a stopover in London) and was quoted 138000 Avios + $2,172.84.

Does that seem reasonable? The $600 fuel surcharge seems like ... a lot. Is there a way to get a better deal?
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and two more Qs:

1. Is there a way to get status on BA in the next few weeks? Right now I'm a "blue member".
2. Will the prices in Avios go up by the 24th? Or are they independent of the current sale?
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
120k for F + 18k for the J intra-Europe sounds about right.

BA's fuel surcharges have been discussed at length on here. My view is that the EC is no longer a free flights scheme, but a discount scheme rewarding frequent travellers. But that's only my view, I know others will have different ones.

There are no shortcuts to status - you need to earn tier points by flying BA or OW partners. And a certain number of flights on BA metal.

The price you have been quoted in Avios will not change, but seat availability is not guaranteed. If you can see the flights you want on the days you want, I'd book asap.
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards
This is a good deal. You will find the cost of two F tickets are over $10k, so the fact that you are paying 20% is a very good deal.
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much for the really helpful reply! Much appreciated <3
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Another Q: do all the flights from JFK feature the new First Class?
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you remove the stopover in LHR your taxes should drop as you won't be assessed the APD.
Old Jan 12, 12, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gsteph22 View Post
Another Q: do all the flights from JFK feature the new First Class?
Yes, barring only exceptional operational problems.
Old Jan 12, 12, 6:53 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
If you remove the stopover in LHR your taxes should drop as you won't be assessed the APD.
In particular, if you do want to stopover, make sure you do so on the way out rather than the way back. If you leave London on an intercontinental flight (e.g. to NYC) you are charged GBP 130 (about US$ 200) in Air Passenger Duty (APD), unless you arrive less than 24 hours previously on a connecting flight. APD for an intra-European flight is "only" GBP 26.
Old Jan 12, 12, 6:55 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
You may want to consider taking the leg back to JFK in F as opposed to the outbound flight, if you are only going to go in F on one sector, as due to the fact the return is more likely to be during the day, you can enjoy all the amenities of F to the full, as opposed to sleeping through most of the flight

Search this Thread