Book and upgrade on AA using Avios

Old Jan 11, 12, 1:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Book and upgrade on AA using Avios

Is this possible? The BA agent I just spoke to said probably not (he wasn't sure though).

I'm looking for TPA->IAH on 29th April returning 2nd May. I'd like to book and pay economy and use Avios to upgrade to First.

If I wanted to book a redemption ticket I could use 72,000 Avios plus 6.40 but my main usage of Avios is the equivalent of the old MFU.

I can see using KVS that there's lots of reward availability in F on flights that day and I can also see that there's availability in economy using fare codes such as N and Q which are upgradeable economy fare codes when booked via AA. But of course, I'm booking via BA wanting to use Avios.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps it just isn't possible? Does anyone know whether there's a specific AA fare code that needs to be booked in economy in order to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11, 12, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Is this possible? The BA agent I just spoke to said probably not (he wasn't sure though).

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps it just isn't possible? Does anyone know whether there's a specific AA fare code that needs to be booked in economy in order to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
It is possible, but the AA fare must be either Y or B (and well, technically W also but I think you would be challenged with that fare class). Y and B fares are, of course, rather expensive.
Old Jan 11, 12, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hrnt View Post

It is possible, but the AA fare must be either Y or B (and well, technically W also but I think you would be challenged with that fare class). Y and B fares are, of course, rather expensive.
Oh, and the upgrade will cost 2* the base Avios. So basically that upgrade will cost a lot of money and a lot of Avios Pretty bad deal, if you ask me.
Old Jan 11, 12, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and the upgrade will cost 2* the base Avios. So basically that upgrade will cost a lot of money and a lot of Avios Pretty bad deal, if you ask me.
OK that makes sense. The Y fare on that day is way more than the instant upgrade P fare which of course requires no Avios and generates 240 TPs for a round trip (4 sectors at 60 TPs each).

I've been using P fares recently and I guess I'll just stick to them.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by golfmad; Jan 11, 12 at 1:51 pm Reason: clarification of the 240 TPs
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rules here:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...upgrade_baaaib
See also this thread from earlier this year:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-online.html
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Yikes, I started that thread. My mind is going
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
To be clear - the upgrade itself will not cost a lot of money. If you're already booked into Y/B/H economy class (as I was recently) then upgrading to a another class on an AA flight within the US requires very little cash plus some multiplier of the base Avios.
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timezonehopper View Post
To be clear - the upgrade itself will not cost a lot of money. If you're already booked into Y/B/H economy class (as I was recently) then upgrading to a another class on an AA flight within the US requires very little cash plus some multiplier of the base Avios.
Thanks. In my case I've not yet booked. The lowest price of those fare classes appears to be H (Y is fill fare and B doesn't show up) and H is still significantly higher than the 'instant upgrade' P fare on the AA website. Looks best all round just to book straight into P.

Search this Thread