Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"My bags are packed, I'm ready to go ... "

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"My bags are packed, I'm ready to go ... "

We are all really quite excited about our first Caribbean holiday, and the novel experience of flying l/h from LGW.
Will we enjoy it? We have no idea!

OK, the taxi at 0530 tomorrow morning is a bit of downer, as is the c. 20-hour day ahead of us before finally reaching the hotel. JER-LGW-MBJ followed by a 1h30 minibus drive is going to be tiresome. BUT ... we'll finally experience those amazing LGW crews we've read about so often. Hopefully.

There will be a TR at the end of it, of course ... although that will become an historic record, as BA are dumping the route in May. However, if we find we like the hotel, and being proper FT-ers, we have already discovered we can still earn TPs/Avios by grinding the following in 2013:
JER-LGW
Taxi
LHR-ORD
Overnight
ORD-MBJ [with AA]

No tactical updates while we're away ... the only electronics we're taking is our Kindles [and a charger!]. Sgt Braille will be making notes on papery-things.

Last edited by T8191; Jan 11, 2012 at 11:01 am
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Have fun, i'm envious.... and also looking forward to the TR!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
Have a great holiday and enjoy the LGW service from check-in to flight; it's usually pretty good.

Looking forward to your TR ^
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BDAgirl
Have a great holiday and enjoy the LGW service from check-in to flight; it's usually pretty good.
Always been 100% satisfied with that, even without meeting SRG ... but this time we'll be "International Connections" following our arrival from JER. I guess that's another long, winding, windowless corridor
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Loving the BA tag on the Sergeants arm...

Have a wonderful time... ^
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

To BA's WT+ MFU No.1 fan ()

Have a great time and enjoy that sunshine! I am very envious
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I have no idea about the transit arrangements, but the North Terminal always does seem to have an incredibly efficient setup for fast track security for passengers originating at LGW.

Also, it's only open to F & J cabin passengers so no pesky status card-holders clogging up the line
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, folks ^
I mean, Braille has done the Caribbean before so he's quite relaxed about the idea ... and I used to live [and went to boarding school] in Jamaica. It's the OH I'm really pleased for, because she's never "been there, done that".

@ Swiss Tony ... we're connecting from JER, so we'll miss that experience by doing the posh "International Connections", but when we did it from "front of house" back in October it was seriously good [like most of LGW these days].

@ Peter01 ... on this occasion [shock horror] it's a BA Holiday Sale offer, which means we're actually paying for flying CW ... eeeeekkk If we decide to return, believe me - "MFU Rules, OK"
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
T8191 - I hope you and the bears have a wonderful time. Now please don't leave them out in the sun too long - we don't want sunburnt fur!!!

Don't forget when you clear international connections at LGW you have to present all your liquids again so make sure any DF you buy in JER is sealed accordingly. But why bother when you can buy all that strong Jamaican rum when you get there!!

So when you come up the escalator and find yourself in the departure lounge, just take a left hand turn and follow the signs for the lounge
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
T8191 - I hope you and the bears have a wonderful time. Now please don't leave them out in the sun too long - we don't want sunburnt fur!!!
Don't forget when you clear international connections at LGW you have to present all your liquids again so make sure any DF you buy in JER is sealed accordingly. But why bother when you can buy all that strong Jamaican rum when you get there!!
So when you come up the escalator and find yourself in the departure lounge, just take a left hand turn and follow the signs for the lounge
Thanks, Lady ^

We don't carry liquids anyway, and when our hotel is AI with our own free private bar-stocks, DF will be limited to some ciggies.

Oh, and Braille is tough ... he's done a tour in Afghanistan, so he knows what "hot and sunny" is all about!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
What are the lines like at International Connections at Gatwick in the morning? I haven't a clue where it even is, but if there is a queue...

Anyway, enjoy.

An do let me know about the J-class grub now.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

LGW international connections is a breeze. Absolutely no trouble even in the middle of the school holidays!

Also, how can you sunbathe without an iPod?! I find it pretty difficult! That is my ideal 2 weeks- nice food, plenty of drinks, white sand beach, clear caribbean sea, sun lounger, iPod and a good book- oh I love it and it isn't arriving until 17th July!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mikey, I can live with the "Sounds of Silence"

Sadly this only one week, as it's a bit of a test to see whether we like the experience of doing ...
N O T H I N G
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Enjoy your hols!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by mikey2124
LGW international connections is a breeze. Absolutely no trouble even in the middle of the school holidays!

Also, how can you sunbathe without an iPod?! I find it pretty difficult! That is my ideal 2 weeks- nice food, plenty of drinks, white sand beach, clear caribbean sea, sun lounger, iPod and a good book- oh I love it and it isn't arriving until 17th July!
Soft drinks I hope young man!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.