OT: Your favourite airport scene

Here's a UK newspaper's list of the best airport film scenes:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...ort-departures

Agree? Disagree?
(Casablanca Listed as best)
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:11 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
I like the scene in "Up in the air" where Clooney explains to the new girl how to select the right security queue. How true! Things you only learn through experience.
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, FB Gold, TK Gold
Many of the scenes from Planes, Trains and Automobiles (either at the airport, going to, or actually on the plane) - a frequent traveller must have come up with the storyboard....! But surely the best must be the foul mouthed car rental scene!
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
I like the scene in "Up in the air" where Clooney explains to the new girl how to select the right security queue. How true! Things you only learn through experience.
This one, by a country mile.
Old Jan 11, 12, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
The entire airport early in the film Airplane! (especially the security scanners).
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by dark_horse View Post
The entire airport early in the film Airplane! (especially the security scanners).
I hate that film.

The only airport film that I can recall was the aptly named "Airport".
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
I was going to mention the related scene where you see Clooney get his boarding pass, go through security and into the lounge. The movie really captured the different elements of frequent flying: the routine, the bizarre feeling of accomplishment of knowing exactly how everything works, the sad sense of priviledge of using only First lines and knowing the staff in the lounges...
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I hate that film.
Tut tut, Airplane was great.
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
Some of the clips in "Up in the Air" mentioned above are good, but as a slushy sentamentalist I can't help but choose the opening scene of "Love Actually" which is filmed at Heathrow......

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion... love actually is all around."
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
I was going to mention the related scene where you see Clooney get his boarding pass, go through security and into the lounge. The movie really captured the different elements of frequent flying: the routine, the bizarre feeling of accomplishment of knowing exactly how everything works, the sad sense of priviledge of using only First lines and knowing the staff in the lounges...
To see frequent fliers portrayed in such a sad light was quite depressing I thought.....is it really that bad?
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
To see frequent fliers portrayed in such a sad light was quite depressing I thought.....is it really that bad?
Yes.

It's not too hard to see the movie as a pretty brutal critque of my life choices at times...
Old Jan 11, 12, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by BushwoodCountryClub View Post
But surely the best must be the foul mouthed car rental scene!

Fantastic

I still laugh out loud at Airplane to this day
Old Jan 11, 12, 4:06 pm

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
OT: Can it be that bad?

I am afraid so! I did not see it when it was released, and seldom watch the IFE, as it is all the same once you have seen the months releases on your first flight of the month. Last year I was flying to Calgary and Up In The Air was on the IFE, and as I had seen so much about it on FT I could not resist it. The first time I found it highly amusing, particularly all the little FF tricks that one acquires over the years. I was cackling throughout. It also struck a chord about the nomadic lifestyle. Quite a hard strike actually.

Mrs antichef was in the next CW berth and asked what the cackling was about. We were on a business trip and she works for my company, she accompanies me occasionally if the trip warrants it (and she fancies it!). I got her to start the film at the same time as me and talked her through some of the angles. I think it gave her another insight - rather than just hearing it from me, and disbelieving it as husband talk!! As gold in a few airline schemes, and similar in four hotel schemes, and Presidents Circle with Hertz she has seen me waltz through airports with a very comfortable air, in and out of hotels with upgrades and waft through Hertz collections and drop offs with ease. The scene of playing snap with the cards came to mind

What you don't see is when you wake up in a hotel after a tiring day/night and are not sure where you are! Alcohol free too!! When the thought of another flight or two before the end of the week gives you heartsink. When the plans keep changing and there is another rescheduling to sort. Finally the fussing from the bean counters who query the expense and want a justification - when they know that you have never claimed any extra in years of weekly travel and they have seen every bill. I have one client who reimburses my travel costs and yet queries almost every route choice and item, even though when explained have always been proven to be the most cost efficient. They have a written requirement for flexible econ travel and yet ask why the fare costs xx when it can be got for yy on an Internet search, but they are not looking at flex econ but non- flex fares!! Petty but time consumingly annoying.

It has been said by those who know me well that I seem most at home when I am travelling (and in control of things) - and seem more restless and eager to get away on the few days when I am "at home". Home really seems to be 1D.

Anyway, it made me take a long hard look at what I was doing and the effect it was having. The answer is yes it is fairly sad and it can be that bad. EuropeanPete and I seem to be at one there.

On the positive side. It did shock me a little and I am trying to do things slightly differently.

Search this Thread