Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Question on Reward Flight Saver and One-way booking with Avios

Old Jan 10, 12, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am trying to book a one-way ticket from LHR to BCN using some Avios points I have. It gives me the option to use 7,500 Avios points (which I think is a good deal) but the Taxes & fees come to a high of $78.73 making this award very unattractive! Then I learnt about something called a "Reward Flight Saver" where BA pays the taxes and the award redeemer pays a flat 27 Euro but in order to be eligible one must have earned Avios points in the last 12 months, and I have not earned anything for almost 2.5 yrs.

So I thought maybe I can buy 1,000 Avios points (+250 current bonus) at an exhorbitant rate of $53 and that way when I redeem the one way award I am only paying a flat fee of $27. So for the same total spend of $78, I am atleast getting some Avios points in return. Can someone please advise if this is a better strategy and confirm that I can do the flat fee option on a one way redemption?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 10, 12, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Are we sure that buying miles counts as activity? Some points, post Nov 16, are still not fully clear.

Don't you have any hotel points or Amex MR points you could transfer? An SPG Plat could move just a single point over!

And on a one-way, the reward saver cost is halved, so only 13.50.
Old Jan 10, 12, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
Are we sure that buying miles counts as activity? Some points, post Nov 16, are still not fully clear.

Don't you have any hotel points or Amex MR points you could transfer? An SPG Plat could move just a single point over!

And on a one-way, the reward saver cost is halved, so only 13.50.
Thanks for the clarification on reward saver applicability on 1 way tickets as well.

I don't have Amex MR but I do have SPG points but the SPG rep said it could take up to 4 weeks to post the points to BA and I needed to book my ticket this week. I was hoping that buying points would post instantly!
Old Jan 10, 12, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Montreal View Post
Thanks for the clarification on reward saver applicability on 1 way tickets as well.

I don't have Amex MR but I do have SPG points but the SPG rep said it could take up to 4 weeks to post the points to BA and I needed to book my ticket this week. I was hoping that buying points would post instantly!
SPG points post to BA once a week, but may still be too tight for your purposes.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, A3* Gold, WN A+ CP, Marriott Plat Prem (LTP), Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz PC
How about buying something really cheap through the BA store?
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Larabar View Post
How about buying something really cheap through the BA store?
It's not available in Canada.

BAH
Old Jan 11, 12, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, A3* Gold, WN A+ CP, Marriott Plat Prem (LTP), Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz PC
Ah..yeah, I didn't see that minor location detail!
Old May 5, 13, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, HH Diamond, CC Gold, MR Silver
Did you ever find out if buying avios made you eligible for the reward flight saver? I'm in the same boat now, accrued all mine in BA but the flights I want are only on avios.
Old May 6, 13, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by sferson View Post
Did you ever find out if buying avios made you eligible for the reward flight saver? I'm in the same boat now, accrued all mine in BA but the flights I want are only on avios.
It made me eligible about 2 years ago when I did it (presumably it's still the case now).

Search this Thread