Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status - is there any value in it for me?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Status - is there any value in it for me?

Apologies if this has been asked a 1,000 times before (or more)

The vast majority of my frequent flyer trips are domestic in the UK. Eastern Airways is my main carrier.

My trips further afield are usually for holidays.

Thanks to the advice I have received on this forum, my Avios stash is accruing nicely (even after F redemption to SYD)

I intend to fly CW or F using mainly redemption fares in future, so assume I would get lounge access.

Are there any reasons for me to aspire to Silver of Gold status?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:29 pm

Unless you fly on BA or OneWorld regularly, then probably no. You get all the benefits (apart from bonus Avios) that a status card holder would get.

Unless you just want a shiny card to flash
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If you never use BA for revenue tickets, then you're right you'd not get much out of them.

As soon as you start flying BA (e.g. domestic or holidays), then Silver will get you a useful 100% mileage bonus and of course lounge access for any Y fares.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Unless you fly on BA or OneWorld regularly, then probably no. You get all the benefits (apart from bonus Avios) that a status card holder would get.

Unless you just want a shiny card to flash
I agree.......quite a few people on here spend money going on tier point runs just to get the shiny card. Never understood it myself but if you like flying as a hobby then why not.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:50 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Free advance seat reservation in CW. At time of reservation for silvers; 7 days in advance for bronzes. If sitting together or in specific seats is important enough that you would pay for advance seat resevation rather than leave it until OLCI, it may be worth changing flying patterns and or paying a little more to achieve status.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:01 pm

Better chance of op-ups? Better treatment in the case of operational difficulties?

rb211.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by HilFly
Free advance seat reservation in CW. At time of reservation for silvers; 7 days in advance for bronzes. If sitting together or in specific seats is important enough that you would pay for advance seat resevation rather than leave it until OLCI, it may be worth changing flying patterns and or paying a little more to achieve status.
Well if the cost of flying BA to earn the tier points to get the status is less than the cost of paying for seats, then yes.

Originally Posted by RB211
Better chance of op-ups? Better treatment in the case of operational difficulties?

rb211.
I'd hope someone in CW or F would get pretty good treatment in the case of operational difficulties. There is a point where status should not smooth the way.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Well if the cost of flying BA to earn the tier points to get the status is less than the cost of paying for seats, then yes.

I'd hope someone in CW or F would get pretty good treatment in the case of operational difficulties. There is a point where status should not smooth the way.
Right, but, following irrops, if the next flight out has only one open seat and there are two waiting to get that seat and only one has status, you tell me what the deciding factor would be!

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.