Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avoid Carry-On Bag Sizer with Online Check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid Carry-On Bag Sizer with Online Check-in?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Baconroll
What it all boils down to is the fact that we have limited space onboard an aircraft. We have no way of building extra overhead lockers, nor do we have countless wardrobes onboard (for the record, a wardrobe is for coats/jackets, not luggage).

There is no doubt that too much hand luggage delays a flight. It got to the stage where we were offloading 10-15 bags on near enough every flight on short haul. Something had to be done, and that's why the limits are being adhered to.

Considering I can pack all my flying gear, valuables (incl an ancient laptop), clothes for a couple of days etc etc into a smaller-than-the-limit bag, then I really don't see why so many others can't, especially frequent fliers.

This is not me having a BA "attitude", it's about trying desperately to get you to your destination on time. Nobody likes delays, least of all anyone heading for meetings or anything else important.
I agree, but I think the even bigger issue is that charging for fees incentivizes everyone to pack as much as possible into the carryon. And then we're surprised when people respond to economic incentives?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
What fun ,I'll take along a tape measure to T5 tomorrow and report back on gauge sizes.
Services to FT
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by OxonCantab
I agree, but I think the even bigger issue is that charging for fees incentivizes everyone to pack as much as possible into the carryon. And then we're surprised when people respond to economic incentives?
Indeed, you are correct. But, then people can't complain when their bag is refused because they have pushed the limits. They know they are pushing the limit because they don't want to pay the fee, so know that they run the risk of having the item placed in the hold.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Ok, so taking this as a situation, and say for some reason, you are the very last person on the aircraft, and all the lockers are full, where else would you expect to stow it on the aircraft?

I am genuinely curious, not trying to be antagonistic...
I'm not expecting them to add an extension! I just wouldn't check my hand luggage.

Apart from personal valuables and essentials, some companies do not allow company laptops, equipment and documents to be checked.

Connecting LH to domestic is the biggest problem. It's a bit off when you've paid for J or F and you are one of the last to board a domestic because your TATL was late arriving and it's your hand luggage that they want to check because the overheads are full of duty free and Hiddy's donkeys!

I think BA's hand luggage policy for Y is far too generous. It used to be 6kg plus a handbag or briefcase in the days when briefcases were small. CW and F got two pieces plus a handbag. Maybe smaller dimensions and lower weights for Y hand luggage?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
Is 23kg really not enough for hold luggage allowance?? Free of charge, of course. People could then bring on another 20kg (to keep to a round number) as hand luggage as long as within the dimension limits and they can lift it themselves. How many people really need to go anywhere with 43(ish) kg?
I can go hiking for a month with less than half that allowance, including my special heavy hiking boots
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by littlefish
What fun ,I'll take along a tape measure to T5 tomorrow and report back on gauge sizes.
Services to FT
For comparison, here are the AA measurements:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11974486-post26.html

The moment of truth approaches!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Baconroll
Is 23kg really not enough for hold luggage allowance?? Free of charge, of course. People could then bring on another 20kg (to keep to a round number) as hand luggage as long as within the dimension limits and they can lift it themselves. How many people really need to go anywhere with 43(ish) kg?
I can go hiking for a month with less than half that allowance, including my special heavy hiking boots
Flak jackets are surprisingly heavy, and you're supposed to pack the ceramic plates in hand luggage (along with any valuable equipment).

Flight cases save the day in those cases though, and BA is wonderful -- had to spend Ł600 with Emirates on excess baggage once, get 4x23 (32)kg bags with BA for free.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Bacon Roll - thank you, you've summed it up very well. ^

And you BBB.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:24 pm

Why do people need to carry so much with them in-flight?

Travelling for a 1 day shorthaul/domestic return for work = 1 small backpack with laptop and all business equipement I would ever need

Travelling for an overnight trip for work = 1 checked bag + small backpack for laptop

Travelling for leisure (domestic, short or longhaul) = 1 checked bag, and passport/phone/wallet in my jeans pocket.

Anything more than that is just taking the michael.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rossmacd

Shopping. Shopping. Shopping. Shopping is not taking the michael.

But I happily pay the excess baggage charges, especially at the rate that BA charges. I think it's very reasonable compared to the cost of shipping things to myself.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Shopping. Shopping. Shopping. Shopping is not taking the michael.

But I happily pay the excess baggage charges, especially at the rate that BA charges. I think it's very reasonable compared to the cost of shipping things to myself.
I would agree with this, especially when compared to airfreight rates to/from GB(outrageous!). However, this is not necessarily true for the US where you can ship 70 pounds coast to coast for about 35 dollars!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:43 pm

Travelling for a 1 day shorthaul/domestic return for work = 1 small backpack with laptop and all business equipement I would ever need

Travelling for an overnight trip for work = 1 checked bag + small backpack for laptop

Travelling for leisure (domestic, short or longhaul) = 1 checked bag, and passport/phone/wallet in my jeans pocket.

No it isn't. People travel for different reasons for different amounts of time and have to carry different stuff. Just because you don't have to carry more doesn't mean other people don't.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
No it isn't. People travel for different reasons for different amounts of time and have to carry different stuff. Just because you don't have to carry more doesn't mean other people don't.
They do, but everyone has to travel within the same limits set by the airline. Which, it seems, is impossible for some.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 3:55 pm

They do, but everyone has to travel within the same limits set by the airline. Which, it seems, is impossible for some.
It is their choice whether they stay within the limits of the airline's free baggage allowance or cough up the dosh for excess baggage fees. It only becomes my problem when a family is checking in 27 pieces of luggage ahead of me!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by sts603
With regards to the posts about BA having a more-relaxing travel experience because there are fewer bags in the cabin:

While I can't disagree with that, for those of us who (a) bill by the hour and (b) travel frequently, those minutes waiting around the baggage claim add up. And there is always the risk of misdirected bags. I can't be flying to a critical meeting and check my suit.
Ah, you've fallen into the same trap as many people who have argued the same in the past. Sorry, but a) just seems DYKWIA to me. Maybe I have just been lucky over the last few years, but I've never had to wait more than about 10-15 mins for luggage to appear on a carousel, and the upper end of that limit is normally at JFK

I travel frequently. Maybe not as frequently as you or others do, but still fairly frequently. Waiting for things comes with the territory. Waiting to board the aircraft, waiting at security etc. What becomes most annoying for all of the passengers on an aircraft is where we ALL have to wait to get a new slot because boarding has taken longer than it should have as all of these wheeled behemoths have been brought on board and, quelle surprise, they don't all fit.

So, departure time is missed, and that potential 5 or 10 minutes at the carousel becomes a 30 minute slot delay. Time is money, eh?

I have a one day trip to Germany this week, and I can fit everything I need into my laptop bag, which I carried on today. Next week I have a 3 day trip to Oslo, and my clothing will be going in a suitcase in the hold - my laptop bag will once again accompany me onto the aircraft. The other two people in my seat row will still have space to put their bags. Will I have to wait at carousel 9 (it's always 9) at OSL next week ? Possibly. Will I have to wait long? On past experience, no, given I have to walk the length of the airport from the non-Schengen area anyway.

The problem is just being pushed around, not solved. The LCCs exacerbate the issue by charging for checked bags. And Joan and Fred off on their hols have a friend, who's uncle's 3rd cousin lost a bag on a flight in 1982, and therefore just to be on the safe side they had better bring everything on board. They probably have a good mutter about how long it takes everyone to get through security too, as they load their stuff into the fourth tray...

I remember the days when BA used to be very strict about hand luggage, especially at NCL (used to be my home airport). I watched a DYKWIA gentleman trying to check in and assuring the agent that he only had hand luggage (no OLCI in those days). The agent stood up, peered over the counter, looked at his suit carrier and briefcase and asked him which one he would like to check in. Cue reddened cheeks and much debate, but she held firm and the suit carrier disappeared down the chute.

Too many blind eyes have been turned in the past few years, and it's nice to see BA doing something about it! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.