Wiki Posts
Search

BA767 OSLO-LHR 4th Jan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FenLandK
I've heard that noise more during higher-power takeoffs, and that normally has corresponded to windier days. I've noticed it before on 737s, but less often on the Airbus aircraft.
The best engine for producing that noise, I think, may have been the JT9D.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allegra1986
I will definitely try and take the fear of flying course ...
Can I add my voice to the recommendations to do this. Although I myself only joined the flight that they do at the end of the day, I did get descriptions of what the course had contained. Between that and what I saw and heard on the graduation flight, it seemed to me like it was an excellently thought out and delivered course. I think you will get a lot out of it.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:32 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The best engine for producing that noise, I think, may have been the JT9D.
They just produce a lot of noise, all of the time Like at the back of a Mad Dog. Ear plugs are essential equipment.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They just produce a lot of noise, all of the time
Aaaah - halcyon days!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
They just produce a lot of noise, all of the time Like at the back of a Mad Dog. Ear plugs are essential equipment.
Or, even worse, an ATR.

Also, it is worth mentioning that air travel is statistically the safest possible form of transportation.

Meaning, that per passenger kilometre, there are less fatalities than on trains, buses, private cars, bicycles - everything.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DWFI
Or, even worse, an ATR.
If you think the ATR is bad, you haven't lived. Try the Metroliner.*

*Said in jest. You should NOT try the Metroliner.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
First of all, it is usually the Captain that taxis the aircraft.

Secondly, If the First Officer was flying the sector, in BA it would have been the Captain landing the aircraft anyway as in BA they have a system where the one who has flown the sector does not do the final approach and landing.

Thirdly, even though a First Officer is flying the aircraft, the Captain is always in command and they are working together as a team.

I think it is great advice to do one of these 'fear of Flying' courses and BA run a course which explain all these things in great detail for you.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:10 pm

Also, it is worth mentioning that air travel is statistically the safest possible form of transportation.

Meaning, that per passenger kilometre, there are less fatalities than on trains, buses, private cars, bicycles - everything.
Yes, passenger/distance. But not for passenger/journey or passenger/time. So it's not really "statistically the safest possible form of transportation." What is? There isn't one that is statistically the safest across the board... it just depends which statistics you wish to pick... as usual.

rb211.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you think the ATR is bad, you haven't lived. Try the Metroliner.*

*Said in jest. You should NOT try the Metroliner.
Ever flown in a Shorts 360?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:22 pm

Ever flown in a Shorts 360?
I've managed to avoid that one, thankfully. Looks far too shed-like
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Ah yes the metroliner defeats even my noise cancelling headphones on the plus side it does feel like real flying.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Ah yes the metroliner defeats even my noise cancelling headphones on the plus side it does feel like real flying.
And you come off the flight with a crooked neck if you are over 5' tall.

I must apologise to the OP for this strange thread slip. We are discussing rather unpleasant and/or unsightly aeroplanes that you probably have no desire to be on, and neither do I!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Or, even worse, an ATR.

They feel like less of a commitment, you can get off again if you want!
If i'm in a car driving then no problems, I trust myself ... and if i'm not driving, I can make suggestions to the driver about how best to reach our destination, I don't think the pilots would like that
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
And you come off the flight with a crooked neck if you are over 5' tall.

I must apologise to the OP for this strange thread slip. We are discussing rather unpleasant and/or unsightly aeroplanes that you probably have no desire to be on, and neither do I!
I've been looking them up as people post - think i'll need to sort out my fear of 747 etc. before I get on any of these, especially after these comments!
Although tiny toy plane as it was, I didn't really mind a recent sea plane journey as the altitude made it feel like i'd have a chance if we went down!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Allegra1986
Although tiny toy plane as it was, I didn't really mind a recent sea plane journey as the altitude made it feel like i'd have a chance if we went down!
Actually, the lower the altitude, the less time the pilot have to sort out the problems or to pick a suitable landing place if something goes wrong with the plane, e.g. engine failure, so the altitude is a very good thing to have when you are on an aeroplane.

With Metroliner, Shorts 360 etc, they are not particularly dangerous as such, but they are uncomfortable and unpleasant to fly on. Not much fun, and I'm not sure about the Shorts but Metro doesn't even have a loo from memory, and one of its nicknames is Sewer Pipe because it's long and thin and unpleasant.

I think you are already quite a long way along getting over your fear of flying if you have managed to fly on a sea plane and didn't mind it.

All the best, I hope you try the BA course so that you can enjoy flying. (No I don't work for BA and I don't get any commission but I really think those courses are useful for people with fear of flying. For the sake of balance, I think Virgin may be running a similar course too.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.