Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Solo holiday suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ponder
Really? As a solo traveller who's been to Japan several times I'd say it's a fantastic place to visit. I guess it depends what you're looking for - I like to explore, and coupled with a JR Pass (as mentioned a few posts back) it's possible to cover a lot of quite varied ground in one trip. Possibly not what the OP is after, though!
I loved it too. There is enough to see and if you are a photography nut you're in heaven. The OP mentioned something about wanting to have something approaching a social life. That is hard in Japan as you don't make 'friends' easily as most Japanese don't speak any foreign language.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by henkybaby
That is hard in Japan as you don't make 'friends' easily as most Japanese don't speak any foreign language.
Sorry, but this is not true. Many Japanese do speak English but are nervous about using it in case they make a mistake. I've found writing things down is very helpful in Japan because they are much more comfortable with written English.

Additionally, even a few words of Japanese goes a long way and it's not a difficult language to learn to speak (writing is a whole other ball game).

Further still, the Japanese have extraordinary patience and a desire to be helpful, especially to tourists who they consider to be a guest.

All of these things conspire to make Japan a very, very welcoming and easy country to visit, regardless of your linguistic abilities.

BAH
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: BA gold
SE Asia is probably a good place to go solo travelling - there are so many things to do, that if you go with someone, you'd just be arguing with each other to do whatever in whichever order.

So I agree with henkybaby
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Maybe the type of place we should recommend depends on what the OP is like?

Can the OP take an online personality test, post the results and we can make suggestions based on that? I suggest the Myers-Brigg test.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Hotels... Oman..... Mmmm. As has been posted, the Chedi is a good option, as are the three Shangri-la resorts, but they are all a little way out of Muscat....

Either of the suggested hotels in town (Hyatt and Intercon) are fine, and an easy hop to explore the old city, excursions (Wadi bashing, or a night out under the stars). Also worth considering is the Hilton Hotel down at SALALAH.

Easy BA 777 day flight out with little jet lag, usually good mfu availability...
Easy Night flight back.

You could consider one of the other Emirates, (Abu Dhabi, Ras, Fujirah ) which are less frenetic than Dubai.

Don't dismiss Agadir / Essouria in Maroc, or Lanzarote / Fueturventura in the Canary islands.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by ian001
Well, if being on holiday with hoardes of loud, drunk American college students isn't your idea of hell then go for it!
20 years ago, maybe
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Tenerife?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:26 pm
Suspended

How about Hong Kong?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OxonCantab
How about Hong Kong?
the problem with HKG is that the OP would like a beach as well. Now whilst HK has lots of beaches, the better water quality ones are further away from the city. Especially if there is some bad weather for a few days.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by irmster
If I may indulge the board momentarily.

G/f can't get time off then, so I would be going on my own.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

However in terms of sociability you may want to go to one of the traditional medium or smaller resorts of the Leeward Isalnds, in places like Nevis. Eg. Nisbet Plantation. People tend to do their own thing during the day, but there's a formalish dinner included in the rate and people mix together for that.
Nevis (and especially Nisbet ^) is fantastic, especially for a beach location...BUT...better to go with G/f than without. It is well traversed place for honeymooners; anniversary couples - and probably "unweds " - (families do go as well). It is well set up for being there not as a solo. I hope to get back their one day not too far away (with family) - was where I spent my honeymoon. Not too sure your G/f would want to miss out on that type of luxury vacation.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:45 pm

I'm going to throw down Tel Aviv as a suggestion.

Temperatures should be getting going at that time of the year, not SEA levels but usually good enough for some time at the beach or in the parks. Excellent bar and restaurant scene, lots to keep you occupied during the day and night or just relax. I find the people friendly and welcoming with a decent amount of English speakers.

That's probably where I'd head. SEA seems a bit far for a week.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury
I'm going to throw down Tel Aviv as a suggestion.
Good one! Beirut if you feel adventurous. There's no bar like the sky bar and the people are amazing.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL GM; AA; UA; BA
I would have suggested the Florida Keys if you haven't been there and if it doesn't seem loaded with "spring breakers". I think that flying into MIA and driving down to Key West on the highway is one of the best drives I've ever done. Although perhaps filled with Spring Breakers, it wouldn't hurt to spend a day and a night on South Beach. If you stay at the Ritz or one of the better hotels, you can probably avoid the drunken college students, who tend to head more to the FLL area. South Beach is a great place for just sitting around outside at a cafe and people watching, which you can do solo, or not solo. And in March, the weather is pretty reliable.

Or New Orleans might be interesting if you haven't been there. Weather should be warm, although not really "beachy". But food is great and I don't think being solo would be an issue.

Last edited by TMitch6542; Jan 4, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.