Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do last minute award seats open up?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

When do last minute award seats open up?

Hi all. I am flying to London on the 13th of January and am currently booked CW out of Phoenix. I would prefer to fly out of San Diego but currently there is no availability. How soon before flights does BA typically release seats for award travel? I don't have any way to check loads but when I made the booking originally and asked about San Diego they said although there were no seats available they said the load factor was very low.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Currently as follows:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing SAN on 13/01/12 0:00 for LON
Flying BA  

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 272        0      SAN                LHR                777       Unavailable     J9 C6 W2 E2 T2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9 
                     13/01/12 21:00     14/01/12 15:20               75% / 20m
Revenue management is an unpredictable dark art as has been discussed here recently, but you could surmise ...

- BA are prepared to sell at least 9 seats in CW but only in J or C ex-US (so not lower buckets)
- WT+ is pretty busy, so they may expect to roll people forward
- and as T is still open, they may be actively encouraging this

Depending on how the situation develops over the next week or so, they may open up redemption seats but who knows ? Keep looking !

hth
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by radelow
Hi all. I am flying to London on the 13th of January and am currently booked CW out of Phoenix. I would prefer to fly out of San Diego but currently there is no availability. How soon before flights does BA typically release seats for award travel? I don't have any way to check loads but when I made the booking originally and asked about San Diego they said although there were no seats available they said the load factor was very low.

Thanks for any advice!
I can only tell you my most unscientific study of this. I'm currently in Cape Town and want to rebook my ticket back to LHR. I can see award availability on the flight today and tomorrow. Then it's a gap to end of January.

I'm pretty sure that Thursday flights will show award availability when I wake up in 7-8h

So it seems 48h before departure is when additional award seats are released.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It depends on route. Cape Town is famous for operating as you discuss above - indeed, I am hoping to snag 5 CW seats on the direct CPT-LHR flight at the end of Jan instead of the currently booked 5 CPT-JNB-LHR. Other routes don't do the same, though.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
It depends on route. Cape Town is famous for operating as you discuss above - indeed, I am hoping to snag 5 CW seats on the direct CPT-LHR flight at the end of Jan instead of the currently booked 5 CPT-JNB-LHR. Other routes don't do the same, though.
And sure enough, now when I look at award availability (lunch-time), 5 seats available in CW (JNB-LHR) Thursday Also on the day-flight CPT-LHR.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I am looking at options for upgrading from CW to F on the LHR -CPT route. As above I have seen lots of seats opening up close to time but only on the afternoon departure fromLHR and morning from CPT. Yet to see anything on the evening flights in the past couple of months of looking.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I am looking at options for upgrading from CW to F on the LHR -CPT route. As above I have seen lots of seats opening up close to time but only on the afternoon departure fromLHR and morning from CPT. Yet to see anything on the evening flights in the past couple of months of looking.
Yes but if you go: LHR-JNB-CPT 5th January there are plenty of F award availability. BA55 (6 seats), BA57 (5 seats) and that's 8.45pm.

It's not very FT-style to go direct when you can connect for the same price
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is normally a "shakedown" of seats 2-5 days before departure. This is when waitlists often clear, cheaper inventory opens up and also award space.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by Lobengula
How is it the same price, post Avios change?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
How is it the same price, post Avios change?
True, It will depend on the flexibility of the CW ticket and possibly change fees. But for the upgrade to F it will be same amount of Avios as long as you sit in economy on the short hop JNB-CPT.

Edit: And of course it's Club on JNB-CPT as it's a paid CW ticket

Last edited by Lobengula; Jan 3, 2012 at 5:15 am
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Lobengula
Yes but if you go: LHR-JNB-CPT 5th January there are plenty of F award availability. BA55 (6 seats), BA57 (5 seats) and that's 8.45pm.

Already have direct flights booked CW (BA 59/58). Mrs pomkiwi is not a member of FT
The nice people at BA are prepared to sell me an upgrade to F but not a price I would want to pay. I'm just interested in the big difference between upgrade availability for the earlier and later flights (I will be more than happy to keep the seats I have).
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by dunk
Currently as follows:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing SAN on 13/01/12 0:00 for LON
Flying BA  

Frequency
Flight        Stops  Depart             Arrive             Aircraft  Reliability     Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 272        0      SAN                LHR                777       Unavailable     J9 C6 W2 E2 T2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9 
                     13/01/12 21:00     14/01/12 15:20               75% / 20m
Revenue management is an unpredictable dark art as has been discussed here recently, but you could surmise ...

- BA are prepared to sell at least 9 seats in CW but only in J or C ex-US (so not lower buckets)
- WT+ is pretty busy, so they may expect to roll people forward
- and as T is still open, they may be actively encouraging this

Depending on how the situation develops over the next week or so, they may open up redemption seats but who knows ? Keep looking !

hth

I thought Expert Flyer did not support BA award travel/upgrades?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Homer15
I think dunk is trying to outline the revenue seat availability obtained from EF to illustrate what may happen with redemptions opening up nearer the time?
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Homer15
No, but every BAEC member can get current BA award availability from the BA website.

What may possibly help with the crystal ball gazing is knowing what cash availability looks like, which is what dunk posted.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:18 am

Thanks for explaining things to the newbie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.