OT - bridal jewellery at lhr.

Old Jan 2, 12, 1:27 pm
hcw
Original Poster

OT - bridal jewellery at lhr.

Hi all

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring at lhr as it is "duty free" (and reduced chance of getting caught ) but am not too keen on tiffanys or bvlgari. As I understand Cartier doesn't have bridal jewellery at heathrow. Are there any other choices?

I've done some homework on the high street and have been more keen on some designs at chaumet and de beers. I wonder if you well travelled lot have seen any of their stores around Europe that may also offer a duty free discount. Shall I say I'm prepared to do a diamond tax run?

Many thanks
Old Jan 2, 12, 1:58 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by hcw View Post
I've done some homework on the high street and have been more keen on some designs at chaumet and de beers. I wonder if you well travelled lot have seen any of their stores around Europe that may also offer a duty free discount. Shall I say I'm prepared to do a diamond tax run.
De Beers being that common high street shop.

As far as I know they don't have many stores in Europe outside London and Paris. Maybe Moscow and Kiev?

Perhaps DXB would be a better bet although presumably you still have to pay tax when you return to the UK. I don't know what tax set diamonds are liable for.

Otherwise maybe JNB?
Old Jan 2, 12, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
I don't know what tax set diamonds are liable for.
I believe it's something like VAT (20%) + 2.5% on all goods obtained outside of the EU, including UK airport duty free. If you don't declare at customs you risk confiscation plus a fine.
Old Jan 2, 12, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
You can likely ask Cartier to order-in the item you require if not held in stock - most Duty Free stores in the terminal will do something similar, and have even arranged an exchange of a faulty item for me in person, landside, when required (cleared with Customs)
Old Jan 2, 12, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Try Mappin and Webb. They stock other brands, and have a good selection. They are also high quality. My understanding is that they can't technically order stuff in for you but if you ask nicely...
Old Jan 2, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat/Titanium
Originally Posted by hcw View Post
Hi all

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring at lhr as it is "duty free" (and reduced chance of getting caught ) but am not too keen on tiffanys or bvlgari. As I understand Cartier doesn't have bridal jewellery at heathrow. Are there any other choices?

Many thanks
There is a Mappin and Webb with loads of rocks and watches.
Old Jan 2, 12, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink View Post
Try Mappin and Webb. They stock other brands, and have a good selection. They are also high quality. My understanding is that they can't technically order stuff in for you but if you ask nicely...
http://www.mappinandwebb.com/categories/diamond-rings

Search this Thread
Search Engine: