Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA - 2012 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I don't drive, but if I did I expect I would use Shell.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I stopped using Tesco when the bonus point opportunities largely vanished. Waitrose gets my business now. Maybe, just maybe we have had an impact on Tesco's business?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:30 pm

2 Tesco Direct spend Ł75 get Ł10 off codes
TD-MXTN ( until 28th Oct ) and TDX-RNTW ( until 14th Oct)
These could be very useful for cartridges purchase:-)
Not sure if these will work for everyone or not, but I have managed to bank them without any problem.
Don't forget to go through the estore or cashback site, the purchase may not get tracked due to the discount code, but worth to give it a try anyway! I find them often work fine together.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Tesco Photo

I finally got around to registering for Tesco Photo and claiming my 150 points for a first spend over Ł5. Was delighted to find their photo canvases are half price until 16 Oct, as I'd been considering printing up some photos from my last holiday Even more delighted to discover that there is a code for 20% off your first spend (SIGNUP20), so I picked up four canvases worth over Ł150 for Ł61 and over 200 points - which will tip me nicely into avios.com's final quarterly bonus Plus Quidco too.

I have since found an offer on their website for 20% off my next order for signing up to their newsletter which I didn't do when registering, so if these ones turn out well I may order some more
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:05 am

I have approximately 3000 club card points. Once I get my vouchers through at the end of this month, am I right in thinking that if I redeem 1500 Avios worth to my Avios.com account and another 1500 Avios worth to my BAEC account, then I should get 2000 bonus Avios in each account? I guess it's then worth holding on to what's left in case Tesco do another 50% bonus some time soon. I've not collected Avios via Tesco before and so I think that I should be eligible if I've understood it correctly.

I don't think I quite understand the 'collect in a new way' business though, because it then refers to being able to collect up to 8,000 bonus Avios every year. Surely you're no longer collecting in a new way after you're first quarter?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by AllTheNines
I have approximately 3000 club card points. Once I get my vouchers through at the end of this month, am I right in thinking that if I redeem 1500 Avios worth to my Avios.com account and another 1500 Avios worth to my BAEC account, then I should get 2000 bonus Avios in each account? I guess it's then worth holding on to what's left in case Tesco do another 50% bonus some time soon. I've not collected Avios via Tesco before and so I think that I should be eligible if I've understood it correctly.

I don't think I quite understand the 'collect in a new way' business though, because it then refers to being able to collect up to 8,000 bonus Avios every year. Surely you're no longer collecting in a new way after you're first quarter?
You have to have earned an Avios some other way previously through that program. If you haven't earned through Avios.com previously you will not get the bonus. Check the T+C for the full terms. BAEC has the same offer.
You may qualify for both if you are lucky by sending Ł6.50 each to Avios.com and BA.

Yes, you should hold on to the excess clubcard points incase of another transfer bonus.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:16 am

Its up to you - I worked out that as I don't earn many Clubcard points regularly, the 2000 avios flat bonus is more valuable to me than what I'd get from a 50% bonus rate. So last quarter when I'd managed to earn a lot of Clubcard points (thanks primarily to Raffles and his blog) I held back Ł3.50 in Clubcard points so that I could guarantee having enough points to earn another 2000 bonus this quarter, rather than taking the extra 400 odd extra the 50% bonus would have earnt. I haven't tried the BAEC route (only just discovered it) but I would assume it would work too.

That doesn't seem to matter. As long as its not your first method of the four on offer it seems to work - I have a mostly unused Lloyds Avios duo which is my '1st way' - so I have had the bonuses from Shell and Tesco, despite not managing to collect every quarter. Ours is not to reason why...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

When the promo launched last year, it made sense. The original rule was that if you hadn't collected with Tesco etc between Nov 2010 and Nov 2011 then you qualified to earn the bonus in each of 4 quarters in 2012.

However, as the promo went on and lots of new people joined Avios, they were forced to change the rules to include them. The rule for new joiners is that once you have collected 1 Avios by any means (except transferring it) you then qualify for the 2k bonuses for the rest of the year.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by layz
Looks like Tesco is suggesting that people should buy gift cards for the clubcard points and use them like cash:

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubca...er-revised.jpg
I use this to top up my Starbucks card. Using the iPhone app, you can add the new cards and merge the credit onto your primary card. Points for spend I would have otherwise nothing (other than BA Amex points of course).
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:41 am

Excellent advice as always.

Fortunately I booked my latest airport car park through BAEC (it was exactly the same price as I found on comparison sites, but I thought that the 100 Avios I earned would then help me to qualify for the 'earning in a new way' T&C's). I've also earned 50 Avios on my Avios.com account for registering my Shell card, and so that should qualify me for the bonus there too.

My girlfriend has her own clubcard with approx 1000 points, but so far her Avios balance on BAEC is only made up of miles transferred from Bmi. Would it make sense for her to buy something for a couple of Ł from Tesco Direct on the eStore so that she earns 2 Avios and would then qualify for the 2000 bonus Avios too?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by williemaykit
I use this to top up my Starbucks card. Using the iPhone app, you can add the new cards and merge the credit onto your primary card. Points for spend I would have otherwise nothing (other than BA Amex points of course).
Interesting, thanks. Would you mind spelling it out to the technologically challenged (me ), exactly the steps you took to do this?
[I guess it boils down to is this only doable via iPhone app?]

MrsFish has a Starbucks card (she's very proudly top-tier in that programme ), but we were unable to work out how to 'merge' in the Starbucks Gift card Ł to top-up her normal card.

Last edited by littlefish; Oct 4, 2012 at 6:51 am Reason: clarify my Qn
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Excuse the blatant ignorance, but what is this 2000 Avios 'collect in a new way' bonus? I can't seem to see anything about it on Avios.com or BA.com... How do I trigger it?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by pianoamit
Excuse the blatant ignorance, but what is this 2000 Avios 'collect in a new way' bonus? I can't seem to see anything about it on Avios.com or BA.com... How do I trigger it?
http://www.avios.com/collect/get-more
Hard to find this link on the site but Google is useful in these situations
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
thanks
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I have now had 2 Samsung Tabs delivered to my local store, with a view to collecting the points and then re-selling, but both have had broken seals on the box, ad today's arrived with some quite significant damage to the box. I have also read of other receiving boxes with the seals broken. Mine were Yodel deliveries in a flimsy blue plastic bag. Are home deliveries a better bet for getting a properly sealed package ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.