Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA - 2012 master thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by dannyrado
I buy 10 all the time. Last time it was on i bought 10 for each clubcard in the family.
I also bought 10 at once last time around, no problems despite having already bought 2 as soon as the offer was announced. £30 of clubcard vouchers with the Tesco bonus & transferred via Avios.com for the 2K bonus there gave a grand total of 12,800 Avios

However, ebay was flooded with the cheaper cartridges for those of you considering that route
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Very environmental

Printing out travel documents is a bit lame too, use Tripit or something
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:36 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xmassheep
I also bought 10 at once last time around, no problems despite having already bought 2 as soon as the offer was announced. £30 of clubcard vouchers with the Tesco bonus & transferred via Avios.com for the 2K bonus there gave a grand total of 12,800 Avios

However, ebay was flooded with the cheaper cartridges for those of you considering that route
If you hold on to them for a bit, and use amazon rather than ebay as a selling location you can recoup most of the cost.... I bought 30 a while back, and lost about £1.80 on each one after the fees and postage were taken into account. Just set up my amazon price, left it and as and when they sold sent them out. Meant I was sitting on them for ages, but not bad at all! Considering another big purchase, but wife says no....
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
If you hold on to them for a bit, and use amazon rather than ebay as a selling location you can recoup most of the cost.... I bought 30 a while back, and lost about £1.80 on each one after the fees and postage were taken into account. Just set up my amazon price, left it and as and when they sold sent them out. Meant I was sitting on them for ages, but not bad at all! Considering another big purchase, but wife says no....
^
Ah, interesting, thanks. I use Amazon to sell the odd book so don't know why I never thought of it. Had a bad experience with ebay last time out when £20 worth of stuff got lost in the post and had to refund the buyer, so have been a bit put off the whole process
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by trickster
It's only my personal opinion but I would have thought that would be ok. I'm considering stocking up myself. Our printer takes 4 cartridges anyway, so just to double that is not unreasonable.

given that Tesco do promotions with 2000 CC points on (Galaxy Tab for example, surely it would not be an issue.
They are now offering the Galaxy Note with 3000 points but no £50 cashback offer via Samsung
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xmassheep
^
Ah, interesting, thanks. I use Amazon to sell the odd book so don't know why I never thought of it. Had a bad experience with ebay last time out when £20 worth of stuff got lost in the post and had to refund the buyer, so have been a bit put off the whole process
I too have been bitten by eBay so now only use amazon and always get proof of postage (although now having an issue on amazon with an iphone I sold - arrived fully packaged and still sealed by apple packaging - but the buyer says the box was empty - interestingly Apple say the phone is being used )
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Looks like Tesco is suggesting that people should buy gift cards for the clubcard points and use them like cash:

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubca...er-revised.jpg

As they can't make much from gift cards I think this proves Raffles (I think it was him) theory that this was just an easy way for Tesco to increase their sales figures so it'd look good to the press and investors even if it did nothing for their profits.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by layz
As they can't make much from gift cards I think this proves Raffles (I think it was him) theory that this was just an easy way for Tesco to increase their sales figures so it'd look good to the press and investors even if it did nothing for their profits.
Especially considering they've just announced their YOY profits are down 11%. Looks like they're pushing for an upswing.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Especially considering they've just announced their YOY profits are down 11%. Looks like they're pushing for an upswing.
They should never have stopped double clubcard points!

That'll teach em!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by PanGalactic

That'll teach em!
I can't stand them anyway. Our local store is always horrendous. I'd love to collect more haribos from shopping, but not if the cost is having to shop there.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:41 pm

That'll teach em!
As I have said before, there are major regrets internally in Tesco that reflect your statement.

Removed double CC points to fund the "Big Price Drop", which was a flop.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I can't stand them anyway. Our local store is always horrendous. I'd love to collect more haribos from shopping, but not if the cost is having to shop there.

Depends on the area you are in I suppose.

I mostly use their delivery service or click and collect

Sometimes I go there, it's not so bad really.

The extra haribos you earn from the 1 point per £ they give you for shopping there are the tip of the iceberg though, the real gold is in the quarterly mailings they send you and special promos like "buy this get x points" etc
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
0800 calls are supposed to be free though, the owner of the number pays for the incoming calls.

0845/0870 numbers are supposed to be more expensive because the owner of the number can can get a share of the revenue from the provider when someone calls them.

I used to make a tidy profit from running a "free" dialup internet service on 0845 numbers back in the days when that was the only way to connect to the internet and other providers were still charging £10 a month for dialup access and making money on the 0845 revenue.

Sadly those good old days are long gone
Indeed. 0845 and 0870 don't do revenue share any more; the modern equivalents are 0844 and 0871. There is also the nefarious 070.

Back on topic, I got an offer today to take out the Tesco credit card and get 2400 Avios* with my first purchase and 0% interest on purchases for 18 months. Not sure if I can really be bothered though.

*1000 Clubcard points, but you get the idea.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I got that mailshot as well. Nowhere near worth for 2400 Avios given the other signup deals at present.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Indeed. 0845 and 0870 don't do revenue share any more; the modern equivalents are 0844 and 0871. There is also the nefarious 070.

Back on topic, I got an offer today to take out the Tesco credit card and get 2400 Avios* with my first purchase and 0% interest on purchases for 18 months. Not sure if I can really be bothered though.

*1000 Clubcard points, but you get the idea.
18 months interest free seems to be a permanent offer.

The points are also a permanent ongoing offer if you get a referral, the referrer also gets 1000 clubcard points too!

Happy to refer anyone who wants one ^^

If you are referred, you don't even have to spend on the card to get the points, they just give them to you, then just use it to swipe when you buy petrol and get 1 points per £ instead of 0.5

18 months interest free not to be sniffed at either if you actually did need a loan to buy a new kitchen for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.