Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[BA Lounge Access for status members with 'extra' infants/children]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[BA Lounge Access for status members with 'extra' infants/children]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by 62aClubWorld
Hi all,

I have been a BA gold Executive Club member for 9 years and will of course retain my membership for next year. I recently had an experience at Heathrow which made me sick. I was flying with some friends. In total, there were 2 gold members and 1 silver member in the group. We had 2 infants and 1 child. We were effectively short of signing in an infant as a "guest". We were not allowed to use the business lounge. It was 6am, I went in the lounge on my own, there were more staff than people.
It sounds like something had gone wrong there.
If they were infants under the age of two, I thought they do not count as a guest? If they were not under two, you should still have been allowed into the GC if there were 3 adult members with status, but not to GF because one of them was a Silver card holder, so the SCH him/herself needed to be guested into GF and so could not guest anyone into GF, but then, if infants do not count, you should have been able to get into GF, with 2 GCH?

The only possibility that I can think of where the lounge agent may not have got it wrong is if one or two of the status holders were under the age of 18 and therefore could not guest people in as they needed to be guested in? But that may be unlikely based on what the OP wrote. Or that the infants were over the age of 2.

I suppose the only thing you can do for now is to write to BA customer services to file a complaint.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Poxball
I recall in Boston in 2005 myself and a colleague (both of us GCH) asked very politely if we could by exception have a 30 minute meeting with a 3rd colleague who was flying Lufthansa. We explained that we would not consume anything and would leave if room was needed. And guess what? - we got the frosty rulebook thrown at us a la some of the responses on this and other threads. If common sense was not to prevail, there are 2 ways of saying no and this was not the nice version.

Thereafter, clutching a metaphorical BAEC rule book in hand, we plucked 2 of the scruffiest backpackers off the later BA queue, guested them into the First lounge and pointed them at the champagne bottles. Not sure if the wide eyes of the backpackers or Miss Frost on the desk was the funnier sight but we laughed at how sometimes common sense is more important than slavish adherence to the rules (or at least be pleasant enforcing the rules).
Good story, yes agree most important is common sense based on how busy lounge is!

I have similar story at BKK with colleague on star alliance flight and I was on BA, the Singapore airlines lounge had no problem at all accommodating me to be together with my colleague and we were served drinks etc. I still remember and tell people the story.. It cost them one sparkling water but created lot of goodwill
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by jplondon

- For every say 250 tp's earned you get additional guest voucher

Or

- each GCH gets 3 evouchers per year or so for additional guest

Nice benefit for little cost and would furer cement my loyalty / drive more revenue for BA.
I agree with this idea ^
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
I don't think that the access policy should be at the fluffy dragons discretion as that will put them in a difficult position which is unfair.

I think the best way to approach this is to give GCHs a couple of guest vouchers a year. Easy to manage, cheap and a big ^ tangible benefit for GCHs.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I tend to think that the BA policy is quite stupid in this regard, but I can see that allowing children without exception is also a bit tricky. Who is to say how many children are allowed in with one adult? Some thought would be required before changing the policy, that's for certain.

Personally, I think that at least kids under 12 should be allowed into the lounges and not counted as a guest.

On to another point:

Originally Posted by mjack99
Having said that, its most unlikely you will have this experience anywhere other than in the UK (widely considered to be the most child unfriendly country on earth I'm afraid).
(my bolding)

Considered by whom exactly? Interested to know why you think this, although, I suppose there is a danger of going a bit OT.

Last edited by matthandy; Jan 1, 2012 at 5:37 am
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:30 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
I don't have children (and if I did I would leave them at home) but I do travel with my wife and mistress.

Naturally, I think BA is stupid and wrong not to allow mistress + wife access. It creates real tension if I have to choose

And, unlike babies/children, a mistress+wife are generally well behaved in public and would sit quietly disturbing no other lounge guests.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Lucifer UK
I have no time for the child-haters who think it only an adult lounge (I note BA provide a children's play area in all except the CCR, so the child-haters can stuff it) - the problem is that a GCH is likely to earn most miles and use most facilities on their own when travelling for business, so to deny a clear family unit, booked on one PNR into the lounge together is not too hard.
I think you'll find that the vast majority of "child-haters" are no such thing. Most people who have objected to children in lounges have absolutely no problem with quiet, well-behaved, respectful children (or adults, for that matter) who do not disturb others also enjoying the lounge. It is when children are poorly behaved and disruptive that they evoke the displeasure of others. And this, usually, is sadly the fault of the parent more than the fault of the child.

However, the fact remains that an airline lounge is no place for a disruptive child.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
I don't think that the access policy should be at the fluffy dragons discretion as that will put them in a difficult position which is unfair.

I think the best way to approach this is to give GCHs a couple of guest vouchers a year. Easy to manage, cheap and a big ^ tangible benefit for GCHs.
I absolutely agree. Some passes that could work in lieu of open doors, or to increase guest count would be a good benefit for GCH.

I've never had a problem with an extra infant in T5 but the never been successful once on a child ticket. I've never had a problem at OW lounges round the world though.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by ajax
I think you'll find that the vast majority of "child-haters" are no such thing. Most people who have objected to children in lounges have absolutely no problem with quiet, well-behaved, respectful children (or adults, for that matter) who do not disturb others also enjoying the lounge. It is when children are poorly behaved and disruptive that they evoke the displeasure of others. And this, usually, is sadly the fault of the parent more than the fault of the child.

However, the fact remains that an airline lounge is no place for a disruptive child.
^^^

BAH
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Intrigued to see how this one goes because at the moment it doesn't quite stack up.

On facts presented the OP should definitely have been allowed access to the "business class lounge" ie assuming 2 x Gold + 1 x Silver I hope the OP might come back and clarify a bit more detail. Was it the "business class" lounge, or was it Galleries First?

Personally, I also hope this doesn't descend into another "lounge rules vs discretion" argument. I think that one has been done to death!

Welcome 62aClubWorld, look forward to learning more
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by jplondon
I think would be great benefit if BA does for example:

- For every say 250 tp's earned you get additional guest voucher

Or

- each GCH gets 3 evouchers per year or so for additional guest

Nice benefit for little cost and would further cement my loyalty / drive more revenue for BA.
Agree with the above. Something along these lines would increase value of Gold, differentiate from Silver, make understanding and applying this particular 'guest' policy easier.

I'd have thought OP would have had the 'cards' in the group (as posted) to go into Galleries Club, so can't really see the problem. If denied Galleries Club access then clear, sharp letter of complaint in order. If OP was simply insisting on GF and didn't want to use Galleries Club then not much sympathy really.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mjack99
Firstly welcome to the forum.

I think you will find here a good number of people who think the lounge is for adults only but I am not one.
Hilton and Marriott have no children policy's in several London hotel lounges which I feel is ridiculous. My Son is guest as well after all. Marriott March Arch's comment was business people feel the lounge is a safe haven - so do I after a long day in the office and would like a quiet spot to sit with my son whilst we're away from home.

Now Happily sitting in T3 - have Mrs CC and Mstr CC (Gold, Silver & a prospective FF) with no issues. In fact until 10 mins ago we had more staff than passengers and at one point only ourselves in here. The staff have been superb looking after my wife and son like VIP's.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by ajax

I quite agree; the nature of a small minority of postings do however suggest there remain some true child-haters around...
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What ajax said. ^
Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:29 am

I really don't understand this; 2 golds + 1 silver = 3 guests. Unless they weren't flying on BA or a OW carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.