Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Destinations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I actually flew to Zurich and stayed overnight last year in order to pick up a £5k watch in T1, so the OP got it easy! (I did fancy a night out of the country away from the kids, though )
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Exactly meester, but the woman gets what the woman want's overpriced or not! lol

Have you seen the mark up on handbags and shoes. Makes jewellery look like penny sweets!

And raffles, if I had kids, I would have probably done the same thing!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:27 am
Original Poster

And the price increase is not speculation, it's confirmed.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well done mdj1, sounds like creative shopping to me! Winners all round
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:02 am
Original Poster

why thank you BErbound
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by mdj1
Exactly meester, but the woman gets what the woman want's overpriced or not! lol

Have you seen the mark up on handbags and shoes. Makes jewellery look like penny sweets!
The thing with handbags is that 75% of the value is in the logo (more with some brands). I sold one of my wife's bags on ebay, it was admittedly bought in the sale, but I got back £350 out of £400 (£600 RRP). While the bag might only be 'worth' £50, they are not really a commodity, because nobody else can legally copy the design, so the resale value is determined by the retail price, not the cost of design. It's no different from saying that the components in an Ipod cost £30 but they sell for £400 - interesting to know, but not necessarily all that important.

OTOH if you buy a piece of jewellery from a UK jeweller, the markup is about the same as on a handbag, but if you want to sell it, for most items you only get scrap (bullion value).

So I'm actually happier to buy a handbag than I ever would be to buy jewellery in this country. Jewellery, in my book, should be (and is, in many countries) sold by the cost of gold + cost of stones.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat

Last edited by ukgooner; Dec 28, 2011 at 9:14 am Reason: Repeated someone else's advice
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
What are the laws behind this? Can one do a day trip to Zurich and buy a watch from duty free?

Mods sorry I bumped a really old thread but this was the only thread to ask this question.

Last edited by onlysuites; Jun 3, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by onlysuites
What are the laws behind this? Can one do a day trip to Zurich and buy a watch from duty free?
So long as you don't forget to declare it if it is worth more than £390 when you re-enter the UK so that you pay the duty due to HMRC, I can't see why not.
onlysuites and KeaneJohn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.