Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passion [LCY-JFK service]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Passion [LCY-JFK service]

I have been fortunate to use the LCY route to New York on many occasions - and in both directions. In fact a colleague has reported on my love of the service previously, but I thought it time to put pen to paper. I travelled in both directions this week and continue to remain amazed by the genuine passion and enthusiasm of the crew. I recognized the voice of one of the pilots from previous journeys and when he welcomes you on board, and before landing, he really conveys his love for the service and the plane.

I am not sure how long the route has now been running, but for him and the crew the novelty does not appear to have warn off? Yes, I am sure it has something to do with having so few people on board, but they all go about their duties wearing a big smile at all times. The 318i may not have the same appeal as Concorde, but it sports the same flight numbers and the service is nothing short of superb.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Scallops
I have been fortunate to use the LCY route to New York on many occasions - and in both directions. In fact a colleague has reported on my love of the service previously, but I thought it time to put pen to paper. I travelled in both directions this week and continue to remain amazed by the genuine passion and enthusiasm of the crew. I recognized the voice of one of the pilots from previous journeys and when he welcomes you on board, and before landing, he really conveys his love for the service and the plane.

I am not sure how long the route has now been running, but for him and the crew the novelty does not appear to have warn off? Yes, I am sure it has something to do with having so few people on board, but they all go about their duties wearing a big smile at all times. The 318i may not have the same appeal as Concorde, but it sports the same flight numbers and the service is nothing short of superb.
Well said, I'd love to try out this service some time but lcy is a pita to get too from Cornwall !!

How have the loads been on your flights ? I'm curious to see if BA will be expanding JFK or other east coast destinations ex lcy in the future

cs
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Well said, I'd love to try out this service some time but lcy is a pita to get too from Cornwall !!

How have the loads been on your flights ? I'm curious to see if BA will be expanding JFK or other east coast destinations ex lcy in the future

cs
I doubt it will be expanded, I think 2x a day is perfectly adequate. I would love to fly from LCY one day! I wish Cityflyer would take over the JER-LCY route from Blue Islands... that 7:25AM flight from JER-LCY is famously delayed. It was delayed until around 10AM yesterday and it is frequently delayed by 2 hours normally once a week! Needless to say, my Dad's work still fly to LGW on BA and won't be changing anytime soon.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Well said, I'd love to try out this service
Me too but doubt very much I will.

It does seem to offer a very good and consistent quality of service. Having great crews on the route must help a lot.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mikey2124
I doubt it will be expanded, I think 2x a day is perfectly adequate. I would love to fly from LCY one day! I wish Cityflyer would take over the JER-LCY route from Blue Islands... that 7:25AM flight from JER-LCY is famously delayed. It was delayed until around 10AM yesterday and it is frequently delayed by 2 hours normally once a week! Needless to say, my Dad's work still fly to LGW on BA and won't be changing anytime soon.
I could see 1x daily to DCA/IAD. BOS or ORD would probably be a stretch, but you never know.
Only BA knows how much $$ they make on the flights.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There was certainly no indication of expansion in the most recent investor update.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Shame... It was on Hotline in the recent £2012 promotion for a VERY good price! I could have happily done it again just for fun!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I'd love to try it too but the B6 flight from NYC to ACK leaves before the LCY one gets in and as a result you would have to fly to BOS and then down to ACK which kind of defeats the point.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It's nice that there is still a route that feels a bit 'special' - obviously not in any way comparable to Concorde, which I sadly never had a chance to experience myself, but 'special' is a pretty good start.

i too doubt any expension. I think DCA would have been great but an LCY-DCA route would not be a legal possibility right now and IAD would kill the point. I don't think ORD is the right sort of market. I could imagine DME (now that it is considered long haul and as it has a high high-contribution clientele) or perhaps DXB. Haneda would have been financially viable a few years ago but obviously not technically viable as it is well beyond range and has no 'natural' stop in the middle.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I would be keen to use the service, but LHR is much more convenient and I enjoy the GF and the UD, so will probably stick with LHR.

I may 'force' myself to use it once, however.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Been lucky enough to fly this route a few times now, and I love it too. So nice to land as a domestic pax and just walk through the terminal and out. It does help I live nearby though!

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
I would be keen to use the service, but LHR is much more convenient and I enjoy the GF and the UD, so will probably stick with LHR.

I may 'force' myself to use it once, however.
Except for the lack of privacy, it's quite similar to the UD, just with no LD to wander round.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
i've flown the route twice (only on the westbound) and love it...due to saving for a house deposit (urgh) my long haul flying will be on the hold for the next couple of years but i'll get back there one day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.