Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can you get more than one Amex card to get more 2-4-1's??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:49 am
Original Poster

So my wife and I will both be able to trigger the 2-4-1's with our new BA Amex Premier Plus cards in the next couple of months.

Trouble is - once we've reached that trigger point - then the incentive to use these cards is somewhat diminished (aside from the regular miles collected).

So is it possible to apply for a separate Platinum card or another type of Amex and do the whole thing again to trigger an additional 2-4-1 voucher?? Or do Amex limit the number of Amex cards an individual can have - or the number of 2-4-1 vouchers that can be qualified for?

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by darrenkell
So my wife and I will both be able to trigger the 2-4-1's with our new BA Amex Premier Plus cards in the next couple of months.

Trouble is - once we've reached that trigger point - then the incentive to use these cards is somewhat diminished (aside from the regular miles collected).

So is it possible to apply for a separate Platinum card or another type of Amex and do the whole thing again to trigger an additional 2-4-1 voucher?? Or do Amex limit the number of Amex cards an individual can have - or the number of 2-4-1 vouchers that can be qualified for?

Thanks!
I'm not aware of another AmEx issued card which offers the 2-4-1 voucher. However, I understand the Lloyds card offers a companion ticket at £15K spend.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I'm not aware of another AmEx issued card which offers the 2-4-1 voucher. However, I understand the Lloyds card offers a companion ticket at £15K spend.
Hmm...so if I was to get LLoyds card - would Amex somehow cut up rough ? Or would they be OK and issue the companion at £15K???
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
However, I understand the Lloyds card offers a companion ticket at £15K spend.
But only for economy flights, not in premium cabins.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC
I'd be surprised if you can hold more than one BA card each and as far as I know, it is only the BA Amex cards in the uk that offer the 241 voucher.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Hmm...so if I was to get LLoyds card - would Amex somehow cut up rough ? Or would they be OK and issue the companion at £15K???
Not sure why they would cut up rough.

Last edited by weirdfish; Dec 14, 2011 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louie-m
But only for economy flights, not in premium cabins.
Oh...thats of no real use to me then unfortunately....

Originally Posted by weirdfish
Not sure why they would cut up rough.
agreed...though in light of the above I probably won't bother....

...so there's no other Amex card (or any card) that does Companion seats/2-4-1's with BA other than the BA Amex Premier Plus then?? (aside from the Lloyds which is no good for me due to the Economy seta restriction!)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club

Call them up and say those exact words and they may, depending on your spending habits offer you a bonus accelerator.

(In November I got 2.25 Avios for 3 months just for calling up and having a moan)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold

Thanks!
Isn't the regular miles accrual worth keeping using them for? I got the SPG Amex this year as they had the 20000 points offer, but next year there'll be no point.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've just received my second premium BA card for 2-4-1 purposes, the only sting in the tail is the £150 fee but I can live with that I suppose
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
I've just received my second premium BA card for 2-4-1 purposes, the only sting in the tail is the £150 fee but I can live with that I suppose
When you say second do you mean an additional card, or you have opened a second account?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
This is most interesting. I assume the OP and his wife already do what my husband and I do - have two principal cards one in each spouse's name plus one subsidiary card each for the other's principal card (with the trigger points six months apart, obviously), thereby limiting us to two 2-4-1s each year.

I had not thought that if I rang them and asked nicely with a vague hint of taking my custom elsewhere the household might get a third, or presumably even a fourth, card. Is that what others have succeeded in doing? If so I must get on the phone asap...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Lots of folks get their partner to get an account and alternate the spend, as do we... so each of us has a partner card on the other's account. We spend up to 10k on one account, then swap to the second account and spend 10k there. voila, second 2-4-1 per year. however we have begun to find we can't use them all! it's a shame that they are only ex-UK as we would love to be able to use them for friends and family in the US and Canada to come over here.

(edited to add--jinx, hsmall! )
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hsmall
This is most interesting. I assume the OP and his wife already do what my husband and I do - have two principal cards one in each spouse's name plus one subsidiary card each for the other's principal card (with the trigger points six months apart, obviously), thereby limiting us to two 2-4-1s each year.

I had not thought that if I rang them and asked nicely with a vague hint of taking my custom elsewhere the household might get a third, or presumably even a fourth, card. Is that what others have succeeded in doing? If so I must get on the phone asap...
Originally Posted by Expatbear
Lots of folks get their partner to get an account and alternate the spend, as do we... so each of us has a partner card on the other's account. We spend up to 10k on one account, then swap to the second account and spend 10k there. voila, second 2-4-1 per year. however we have begun to find we can't use them all! it's a shame that they are only ex-UK as we would love to be able to use them for friends and family in the US and Canada to come over here.

(edited to add--jinx, hsmall! )
Yes my wife and I have a card each - and we will both reach the £10k spend at a similar time.....which works well for us....as with two kids having the two 2-4-1's means we can get 4 seats for the price of 2 !

But trouble is still that there is now no incentive to spend more than £10k on the respective cards. I wonder if we can get an extra card each.......or just cancel the cards and re-open two new accounts?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
When you say second do you mean an additional card, or you have opened a second account?
Apologies, a second account but no opening benefits as this is excluded under the Amex terms and conditions...existing account holder etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.