Cancelling and changing avios flights

Old Dec 8, 11, 5:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Cancelling and changing avios flights

Since the changes last month, I vaguely remember that there are charges to change reward flights now, although waved for GCH.

If I were to book a Amex 241 flight for next year, and I have to cancel it nearer the time, do I get my miles, taxes and 241 voucher back? Is there a charge? Would there be a charge for a non gold card holder?

The next question is where. I really want to go somewhere warm in Feb/early March. There are flights to St Lucia available, which looks like it ticks the boxes, but a 747 (1A/K) and/or LHR departure (CCR) would be nice.

Thanks. It seems amazing that I'm even considering a first class flight to the Caribbean, and have enough miles to do it again a year later!

2 years ago I'd have been looking at easyjet flights to Europe, so ^ Flyertalk
paulwuk is offline  
Old Dec 8, 11, 4:14 pm
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Never mind, seems that the answer is "yes, cancel before 24 hours and you're fine, full refund of taxes, miles and voucher"
paulwuk is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 9:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TBD
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Never mind, seems that the answer is "yes, cancel before 24 hours and you're fine, full refund of taxes, miles and voucher"
But can you share how long it takes for Avios to be redeposited in your account after canceling?
onfo is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 9:16 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 29
Cancelling and changing avios flights

I changed a first redemption with 241 and paid £25 per person, plus a couple of pounds difference in charges (total came to £53, which seemed reasonable so I didn't query). All very quick and easy online. I'm a mere Bronze ATM, but I believe the change fee is waived for Gold.
Last time I cancelled a redemption (last year), re deposit was instant.
icw24 is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 9:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 250
Don't forget the voucher will still have the original expiry date.
oxmatt is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:09 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Originally Posted by onfo View Post
But can you share how long it takes for Avios to be redeposited in your account after canceling?
Old thread! As it happens I cancelled 2 flights last night, wasnt instant, but certainly in the account today
paulwuk is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:19 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: TBD
Posts: 814
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
Old thread! As it happens I cancelled 2 flights last night, wasnt instant, but certainly in the account today
Yes, figured it was better to continue an old on-topic thread than start a new one.

You have to log-out and log-in to have the redeposited Avios show in your account.
onfo is offline  
Old Feb 21, 13, 3:17 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hong Kong + Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver, BMI Blue, Flying Poo Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 358
Cancelled Amex 2:1 on Sunday as Mrs MetalDoggy says I can't go to see the British Lions with my Dad in case Baby MetalDoggy appears a couple of weeks early.

Reservation still showing on my "flight bookings" page and when I click on the reference I get this message:

"We are currently processing a cancellation and refund for this booking. Please contact us if you wish to discuss this booking."

I'd actually quite like my Amex voucher back so I can use it to book us to go and see Mrs MetalDoggy's sister with Baby in November or December but I don't want to be any trouble... Also it was a free cancellation as they cancelled one of the connecting flights which was nice of them so I don't want to take the proverbial peepee either given how fortuitous it was.
MetalDoggy is offline  
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:23 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Posts: 2,942
Originally Posted by MetalDoggy View Post
Cancelled Amex 2:1 on Sunday as Mrs MetalDoggy says I can't go to see the British Lions with my Dad in case Baby MetalDoggy appears a couple of weeks early.

Reservation still showing on my "flight bookings" page and when I click on the reference I get this message:

"We are currently processing a cancellation and refund for this booking. Please contact us if you wish to discuss this booking."

I'd actually quite like my Amex voucher back so I can use it to book us to go and see Mrs MetalDoggy's sister with Baby in November or December but I don't want to be any trouble... Also it was a free cancellation as they cancelled one of the connecting flights which was nice of them so I don't want to take the proverbial peepee either given how fortuitous it was.
I also had this message on a reward booking (not a 241) that I cancelled and ir stayed there until I called to get it removed. It seems to be some sort of system glitch. A call to BAEC should get it sorted.
johnaalex is offline  
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:44 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hong Kong + Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver, BMI Blue, Flying Poo Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 358
Just called - five working days on and it's still sitting in the queue. Must be a very complex process!
MetalDoggy is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 12:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CMH
Posts: 231
Cancel and rebook with Avios

I booked a flight with Avios a few weeks ago and the flight out is supposed to occur next week but I have a slight change in plans and need to change the flight to another further date. I've tried calling in but get no response. I'm fully prepared to buy another ticket with Avios, but if I cancel my current one should I expect to get my miles back?
iruvmattree is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 12:34 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,865
Originally Posted by iruvmattree View Post
I booked a flight with Avios a few weeks ago and the flight out is supposed to occur next week but I have a slight change in plans and need to change the flight to another further date. I've tried calling in but get no response. I'm fully prepared to buy another ticket with Avios, but if I cancel my current one should I expect to get my miles back?
As long as you cancel at least 24 hours before commencing your journey you should get your avios (and taxes and surcharges less the cancellation/avios redeposit charge).

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...sh-refund.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-booking.html
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 12:52 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CMH
Posts: 231
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
As long as you cancel at least 24 hours before commencing your journey you should get your avios (and taxes and surcharges less the cancellation/avios redeposit charge).

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...sh-refund.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-booking.html
Thanks for the quick reply!

This is actually the return leg of the flight... maybe I should book 1 leg at a time next time, but does that make a difference? because I guess technically I've already started the journey
iruvmattree is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 12:55 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,865
Originally Posted by iruvmattree View Post
Thanks for the quick reply!

This is actually the return leg of the flight... maybe I should book 1 leg at a time next time, but does that make a difference? because I guess technically I've already started the journey
If you booked it as a round trip, then no return of avios (you could get taxes back). See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...sh-refund.html
If you had booked your trip as two one-ways then you could get your avios back for the second flight.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Jul 10, 14, 6:38 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA
Posts: 9,505
But if you book as 2 one ways you get two sets of change/cancellation fees
BA6501 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: