Strange 777 seating

Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Strange 777 seating

Am booked on the BA2772 TPA - LGW 2 Jan in J. MMB shows our seats in WTP (i.e. in the 2-4-2 config) and can't move them forward - but there's a whole cabin of J missing! It's the same on expert flyer. Any ideas? Presumably if they have oversold J BA wouldn't alert me to that at booking my "downgrading" me?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

I do like a mystery. The config on MMB shows First which of course they don't have on TPA. Any ideas?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...

First, I think you mean BA2166 and not 2772 (which goes to JER), second when you say you're booked in CW but it's sowing you as seated in WTP, which row is it sowing you in? You do know CW is 2-4-2 as well right?

Looking at Expertflyer I can't see anything abnormal about the seating except that First is being used for CW.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 5:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by clubman
I'm not entirely sure what you mean...

First, I think you mean BA2166 and not 2772 (which goes to JER), second when you say you're booked in CW but it's sowing you as seated in WTP, which row is it sowing you in? You do know CW is 2-4-2 as well right?

Looking at Expertflyer I can't see anything abnormal about the seating except that First is being used for CW.
I've just called up BA2166 on Expert Flyer too. It does appear to be a 4 class 777 operating a 3 class service, with the First cabin seats all blocked, presumably this cabin is closed.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for getting the number wrong (too late!) - what an idiot. It's the seat number that threw me having flown it so many times but as you say it must for some reason be a 4 class 777 with F closed. Thank you both. ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hyatt gold
The config selling in the system for that day is CW=62 WT+=40 WT=124, so they are still selling to fill the CW cabin as its a planned change.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Gatwickba
The config selling in the system for that day is CW=62 WT+=40 WT=124, so they are still selling to fill the CW cabin as its a planned change.
As you understand these things, it seems, could you clarify or enlighten on this one.

We're on BA2284 on 19 Jan, MBJ-LGW. That has apparently been switched to a 4-class 777 as well. Our original seat choices [4A/B] got scrambled with the airframe change ... the OH was then in F in 4A, and I disappeared!! So we're now nested in 10A/B ... not perfect, but the other 14 allocated pax have scattered themselves incovneniently

Anyway ... what happens to the F cabin? Is it just closed off? Or is there a chance of moving up to the front, albeit still with CW service of course? Or could we at least sleep there?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:31 am

The F cabin is left unused both befiore takeoff and during flight.

It it purely treated as 0 / 48 / 40 / 124 config in reality. The 14F is there but is to be ignored.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theflyingdream
The F cabin is left unused both befiore takeoff and during flight.

It it purely treated as 0 / 48 / 40 / 124 config in reality. The 14F is there but is to be ignored.
That's what I guessed ... it would be a PITA for the CC if it was done any other way.

Oh well, now to hope we can re-jig things avoid climb-over seats for the homeward journey nearer departure.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
That's what I guessed ... it would be a PITA for the CC if it was done any other way.

Oh well, now to hope we can re-jig things avoid climb-over seats for the homeward journey nearer departure.
Going to keep an eye on it for you. ^

These 3-class to 4-class switches happen a lot at LHR, sometimes twice a week on routes like MAA and HYD. Hopefully it could happen to BLR on the Thursday when I am flying, a seat in F would be a great way to start the journey, especially as all of the LHR 4-class aircraft that fly the MAA/BLR routes when subbed on have NF! The F cabin can be opened up and quite often is so keep an eye on MMB, especially at T-72!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Can I just say what a wonderful board this is? There I was last night thinking I had a problem - all sorts of things go through your mind - and for one reason or another I didn't get chance to call the gold line today, but I'm home to find the answer's here, and clear. The people that answer don't need to, they just do it to help - oh for more of that in the world. ^ Anyhow, now to find the best way to seat me, the OH, a 7 year old and a 1 yr old (on lap) in C behind F!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by mikey2124

These 3-class to 4-class switches happen a lot at LHR, sometimes twice a week on routes like MAA and HYD. Hopefully it could happen to BLR on the Thursday when I am flying, a seat in F would be a great way to start the journey, especially as all of the LHR 4-class aircraft that fly the MAA/BLR routes when subbed on have NF! The F cabin can be opened up and quite often is so keep an eye on MMB, especially at T-72!
Looks like a more general thing at LGW. Our flights to SKB on April 28th and back on May 12th have had the same aircraft change - now a 4 class 777 - we had been seat shifted and wife and I were not even seated together.

What sort of seat shifting plonker cannot work out that a male and a female with the same surname and on the same PNR and previously seated together might just be related - like husband and wife and so might expect to be seated together not in completely different rows and in the middle of the aircraft now, not in an aisle and window as our BAEC profiles have recorded. Of course - no notification sent and now all the decent seats in CW have been grabbed or blocked for those with a GC. Fortunately I can still change our seats and get us back together again and get an aisle and a window but not the good seats we previously had assigned.

Same thing on the return flight - shifted to different rows and in the middle!

Front cabin of F all blocked out of course.

We are also traveling as a party of four and the second couple were seated in the row in front of us - now god alone knows where they have been shifted to.

Finally thanks for the heads up to the OP - nothing in the way of info on this sent from BA - just a flag in MMB to alert me to a timing change - a change that is not a change since the timings are unchanged. Having seen the post I thought - I will just check my SKB flights in MMB to see if they are OK - glad I did!

Last edited by qwest01; Dec 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikey2124
Thanks, cyber-nephew. ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by qwest01
Looks like a more general thing at LGW. Our flights to SKB on April 28th and back on May 12th have had the same aircraft change - now a 4 class 777 - we had been seat shifted and wife and I were not even seated together.

What sort of seat shifting plonker cannot work out that a male and a female with the same surname and on the same PNR and previously seated together might just be related - like husband and wife and so might expect to be seated together not in completely different rows and in the middle of the aircraft now, not in an aisle and window as our BAEC profiles have recorded. Of course - no notification sent and now all the decent seats in CW have been grabbed or blocked for those with a GC. Fortunately I can still change our seats and get us back together again and get an aisle and a window but not the good seats we previously had assigned.

Same thing on the return flight - shifted to different rows and in the middle!

Front cabin of F all blocked out of course.

We are also traveling as a party of four and the second couple were seated in the row in front of us - now god alone knows where they have been shifted to.

Finally thanks for the heads up to the OP - nothing in the way of info on this sent from BA - just a flag in MMB to alert me to a timing change - a change that is not a change since the timings are unchanged. Having seen the post I thought - I will just check my SKB flights in MMB to see if they are OK - glad I did!
Not to worry! Best seats are the window/aisle pairs, I would choose these. F may open up at T-72 or T-24 and by then LGW will be all NF, promise!

God knows how they shift the seats... it confuses me too! For my flight to EWR next February, they had put us in 10K, 11A and 11K... we are a group of 3 on the same PNR- it is strange! Only two of us have a window seat as our preference too! We have got 10ABD- I haven't tried an aisle in CW for years so it will be nice to try something different.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by T8191

The F seats are saleable as Club so you need to hope some more people book!

Not sure exactly how things work at LGW but when the flight opens for check-in if there are more than 48 Club passengers you will more than likely be able to select an F seat as that cabin will also be opened up.

On the day, or when the flight closes if there are less than 48 Club passengers accepted it will probably be closed again and all passengers re-accommodated in the main Club cabin. This prevents the First cabin being used needlessly and makes the service much easier for the cabin crew having everybody in the same cabin section.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.