Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

how difficult is it to "request" champagne in GC lounges at T5?

Old Nov 30, 11, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

I'll be using GC lounge this coming friday flying out of T5. on the BA site it says champagne is available on request - is it just a case of asking politely? Do the lounge staff get grumpy when asked?

Cheers
Old Nov 30, 11, 12:24 pm

Ask any of the waiters in the lounge and they will bring it to you. Some of them may need reminding but you will get some! A polite request is all it needs
Old Nov 30, 11, 12:37 pm

Easy. The first and subsequent glasses appear shortly after you ask them for it. Even very early in the morning you can enjoy bubbles with your dry bacon roll.
Old Nov 30, 11, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
you can enjoy bubbles with your dry bacon roll.
How true
Old Nov 30, 11, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
It's hit or miss with the response you get.

I was in there at the start of November and politely asked a guy for 2 glasses - one for me and one for my mate and he gave me the dirtiest look ever and just shoved the glasses infront of us without saying a word.

Charming.
Old Nov 30, 11, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Blue & Silver again!! Monarch Vantage GOLD!!!! HiltonHonors Gold
I always find that if you ask for 2 glasses they last twice as long
Old Nov 30, 11, 3:57 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Just ask. They are usually more concerned about knowing where you are sitting so they know where to serve it.

I've never had trouble - getting Slimline is impossible sometimes.
Old Nov 30, 11, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I got a glass on Saturday without even asking. Turns out the waiter recognised my other half from when he used to work in the CX lounge and brought us some fizz.
Old Nov 30, 11, 4:38 pm

On the topic lounge staff finding you; In GF they seem to memorise very well. Sometimes when I order at the buffet station they don't even ask where I am and still bring the food over in no time. Impressive.
Old Nov 30, 11, 5:57 pm

Does anyone know what the champagne usually served in GC is?
Old Dec 1, 11, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Generic, I believe.

Or all the dregs from downstairs poured into one bottle
Old Dec 1, 11, 1:30 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
Easy. The first and subsequent glasses appear shortly after you ask them for it. Even very early in the morning you can enjoy bubbles with your dry bacon roll.
I have always asked. I smile, ask politely, and the glass shows up. Nice with the oatmeal and OJ, but NOT too many bubblies as it will creep up on you.

I have always found that politeness, please, thank you and common-sense civilities have always broken through any perceived "grumpiness". Even asking "Are you OK as you look a bit tired or frazzled." helps things - followed by a genuine smile and a thank you.

There have been times when "management" was helping the staff and brought me the glass, even though they were obviously busy.

I am always pleased to fly BA and always thank staff for their attention and help.
Old Dec 1, 11, 2:10 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Was in the Galleries last month at 06.00 and eating actually a very nice moist bacon roll and asked a waitress for a glass of bubbles, got rather a frowned look, probably thought, gosh how early for a glass, but within a few minutes a lovely glass of cold fizz arrived, one very happy bunny, so do not feel shy to ask for a glass whatever the time of day.
Old Dec 1, 11, 3:05 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, AA PLT, BonvoyGld, LH, AI, UA, DL
personally I've never had an issue - but I have seen some surly staff. I usually seek out the smiling ones and then make my request.
Old Dec 1, 11, 4:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
I caught a brief glimpse of the bottle in Galleries North last night and it had a red sash on the top - i could have sworn it was Ayala

It tasted good though so i was a happy bunny!

Aks120

Last edited by aks120; Dec 1, 11 at 9:32 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: