Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to turn down an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
I turned down an upgrade on CO from EWR to DEL. My wife and two kids were in the back and I did not want to sit in front with her managing two kids (4yo and 6mos). For the sake of my marriage, I still think I made the right decision
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:06 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:57 am
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by YClass
... On a flight with the other half. Am in F (upgraded) and she's in WT+ (hoping to score miles u/g). Do I d/g to Club if she gets the u/g, and do I swap my F for her WT+ if she doesn't! Does chivalry exist on a 747?
Boy, to even contemplate booking that would get me in trouble with my wife!

I'm sure you'll do the right thing, I find us chaps need as many 'brownie points' as we can get.

Good luck!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Skywards, Hilton Honors and lots of other under-utilised Hotel Schemes
Smile

Sitting now in the lounge having just received my first upgrade to New First - didn't take me long to accept BA's generous offer (particularly as I am on Saturday Night discount CW fare). I can live without the working laptop plug.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Boy, to even contemplate booking that would get me in trouble with my wife!

I'm sure you'll do the right thing, I find us chaps need as many 'brownie points' as we can get.

Good luck!
Quite ot but reminds me of a time I was flying out of hong kong with virgin. I was in UC and a guy I work with was "down the back". I asked if it would be possible to get a glass of champers for my friend in y. The FA said no problem. Just then the guy in the next seat said that was a good idea could he get one as well. The FA asked if he had a friend in Y as well. His response was, and I quote, "oh no, my wife is down there, better do something nice for her". It took a good 30 minutes to stop laughing. Had a great flight with that guy at the bar!

If I did something like that I would be shot, and I am not even married yet!!!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by johnashw
Sitting now in the lounge having just received my first upgrade to New First - didn't take me long to accept BA's generous offer (particularly as I am on Saturday Night discount CW fare). I can live without the working laptop plug.
New First - well that's different, best plugs on the vessel!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Culottes....that's what you need.
I would only wear them for playing golf!

P.S. It's actually not a bad idea but finding a decent looking culottes is very, very difficult. I don't want to fly looking like I'm about to play golf.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I don't want to fly looking like I'm about to play golf.
Unless you were carrying a nine iron and wearing a peaked cap I don't think you'd look like you were about to play golf......as long as you remember not to go about shouting FORE!!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 8:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Unless you were carrying a nine iron and wearing a peaked cap I don't think you'd look like you were about to play golf......as long as you remember not to go about shouting FORE!!
I suppose the heels would be a contra-indication (?) of playing golf, too.

I had better remember your advice about culottes since I have two window-seat CW flights coming up. They are not too challenging to get out of, but still involve hopping over a pair of legs as you know.

I must go shopping. I suppose I could wear a loose skirt as an alternative, too. After a couple of silly experiences of being trapped in the seat due to my reluctance to wake up the sleeping neighbour (no such sympathy when my husband is my seat neighbour, however ), I am much more wary of window seats but I just could not resist the private feel of them. Those seats also do not suffer from the 'aisle effect' from stomping people, either.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Mrs. Stifle swears by this odd garment called trousers
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:43 am

I once politely turned down a middle exit row seat on MEL-LHR (Qantas, not BA) because it's not my idea of a good seat and I already had a window seat towards the back with "bonus" space to the side.

Everyone has their own opinions on what constitutes a good seat I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.