Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Late at night they run the shorter HEX trains, and I once leapt into First as the doors were closing. I then turned into "Express" class, hotly pursued by a member of staff to remind me to do that which I had already done. One can travel First within LHR but it will cost you Ł26 for the privilege.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 5mSvGlow
Actually BMI won't even interline to star alliance unless on same ticket, they are even stricter than BA.
IIRC, BMI won't even online to BMI unless on the same ticket!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

To those saying I should not have jumped in F, two things:

1) The lady said "take the frontmost car you can, that will be closest to T1."
2) There was a conductor standing next to us on the ride from T5 - T1/3, and he said nothing.

Thanks for the advice. Enjoying FCT FRA now...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
It has been the rule for at least 5 years, unless the flights are all ticketed together. One of those UK airline things as VS have the same policy.
Obviously not always strictly enforced though...

Had no trouble getting BA to interline my luggage last week on my way to ZRH, with my onward flight with LX later that day, and last I checked LX were certainly not part of OW...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by clubman
Obviously not always strictly enforced though...

Had no trouble getting BA to interline my luggage last week on my way to ZRH, with my onward flight with LX later that day, and last I checked LX were certainly not part of OW...
BA is pretty bad on interlining to other airlines: I was refused to check bags through from BA to LH (two separate tickets). BA Gold at that time, I was furious about this but was turned down by staff and supervisor. My connecting time was 60 minutes and was basically set up to fail. I still made it on the LH side because of my HON Circle status...

No issues checking through from SQ to BA (again, two separate tickets).

BA, wake up!

Was told BA doesn't do it because they remain responsible for the whole journey for the luggage in case it gets lost.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Globaliser
IIRC, BMI won't even online to BMI unless on the same ticket!
Yes, that's right. They are the meanest of them all.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SMK77
BA, wake up!
But if anything, the world is moving away from interlining on two separate tickets and towards BA's position.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by SMK77
BA is pretty bad on interlining to other airlines: I was refused to check bags through from BA to LH (two separate tickets). BA Gold at that time, I was furious about this but was turned down by staff and supervisor. My connecting time was 60 minutes and was basically set up to fail. I still made it on the LH side because of my HON Circle status...

No issues checking through from SQ to BA (again, two separate tickets).

BA, wake up!

Was told BA doesn't do it because they remain responsible for the whole journey for the luggage in case it gets lost.
Where does it say though that any airline should interline bags to another airline on separate tickets? They can't check the MCT, so they wouldn't know if your connection is legal and set themselves up for a possibly costly failure.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually the HEX "First Class" car is NOT free for inter Terminal travel. You are supposed to travel in peasant class!
Which is why I always sit in it during those transfers... out of my own anti-authoritarian pig-headedness . I loathe this aspect of LHR; that a T4 to T5 airside transfer involves 2 Heathrow Express trains which I've invariably waited 12 minutes for... twice... whilst being literally SHOUTED at on the tannoy 'do NOT board this train until the security checks have been carried out!'... 'this train is free in express class only!'. It's a disastrous way of connecting airport terminals, and every time I see poor foreigners without a good grasp of English terribly confused. Why can't LHR have a nice, well-planned air train like JFK or every other airport I can think of!?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Where does it say though that any airline should interline bags to another airline on separate tickets? .
Indeed....it was a ridiculous assumption to make especially when connecting on to LH on a separate ticket. One would have thought a Gold card holder would have known better.

Think SQ did or still has an interlining agreement with BA.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed....it was a ridiculous assumption to make especially when connecting on to LH on a separate ticket.
Well in my case I didn't assume at all, but thought I would ask, and in fact I was surprised when the check in agent (First Check in) said sure sir I should be able to do that for you and a minute later I had a baggage receipt showing my onwards flight with LX too! ^
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Putting a question mark at the end of a statement turns it into a question?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Well in my case I didn't assume at all, but thought I would ask, and in fact I was surprised when the check in agent (First Check in) said sure sir I should be able to do that for you and a minute later I had a baggage receipt showing my onwards flight with LX too! ^
Assuming you had separate tickets maybe they looked at you connection time (which was how much?), and figured that was enough, while the 60 minutes for SMK77 was deemed not enough? So maybe they do have some leeway?

I'm sure BA has interline arrangements for many airlines - in fact there used to be an IATA Multilateral Interline Agreement. On full fare tickets, where you may have a BA and LH flight on one ticket (and with therefore a normally legal connection) they do interline bags - but these full fares are rather expensive and it is worth taking the risk for the airline on the bags getting inadvertently lost.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But if anything, the world is moving away from interlining on two separate tickets and towards BA's position.
Doesn't mean as a customer, I should be happy to accept a deterioration of service!

Actually, given that LHR is a particularly nasty airport to transit at with bags, one would have thought BA would be more understanding, not less.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:58 am

But that 'service' is not something that is included in the services that BA (or many other airlines) will provide you by agreeing to transport you and your bags from AMS to LHR. It doesn't state anywhere they should deliver your bag to a different airline in a different terminal. If you wanted that service, you should have booked the itinerary on one ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.