Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Does Not Interline Bags Outside OneWorld?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Being Gold has nothing to do with it.....there are thousands out there.
Tens of thousands, I believe, in fact

You were travelling on two separate tickets....one not even in the Oneworld alliance.
I believe that is what the problem was. Within OW, I know for the fact that BA is happy to interline when travelling on separate tickets. In fact I had a problem having one of the outstations do this, and BA was very interested to hear about it, and it was all fixed next time I did it.

It's a bit cheeky to expect any airline to interline on separate tickets when they are not even in the same alliance. If they want that service, then it would be a good idea to write in to file a complaint about it not being offered, but I think the point is to make it easy to fly with the same alliance compared to when one is not. I see interlining as more of a concession that is offered when the flights booked on a single ticket are on a carrier outside the alliance, rather than 'not interlining' being unkind.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm Reason: some words missing
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Being Gold has nothing to do with it.....there are thousands out there.

You were travelling on two separate tickets....one not even in the Oneworld alliance.
Absolutely HIDDYous... Do you know why so many people get frustrated with the old BA guards on here defending every single bit of BA to death?

You convienently ignoring SQ's great attitude of interlining from their flight - not a OW ticket to begin with - to another carrier on a different ticket without blinking and all you can come up with is that BA must be right and the stupid customer must be wrong and that no improvement is even thinkable.

NickB is giving a great response and a balanced view. Great post! Thanks, NickB!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KVS
GDSs update many of those lists manually, so errors can (and do) occur.

Full interlining is one of the core requirements of the OneWorld membership, so it's definitely an error.
Agreed. BTW, from which GDS does KVS retrieve the list from?

Last edited by hillrider; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:06 pm Reason: Fixed close quote element
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by budgetingjew
Because the IATA was created for you to excersize your rights in traveling in one of their member airlines. Fool on you for not envoking them.
Gee, I always thought IATA was created by the airline industry for itself, rather than for us passengers... Might be that I've misunderstood that one...

Wasn't the EU created for us to exercise (note spelling) our rights?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
When on separate tickets, they will only interline to oneworld airlines. This is pretty consistent around the world.
Well as mentioned earlier, this isn't always the case and I had no trouble getting them to do this just last week.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Well as mentioned earlier, this isn't always the case and I had no trouble getting them to do this just last week.
You were lucky. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to recheck bags in HKG and other locations as BA won't through check.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You were lucky.
Sounds like it.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I have experienced BA, AC and SU interlining baggage. So far, I have NEVER had any problem. Blind luck perhaps The tags are generated electronically and the humans just move the bags as needed at the transfer points.

Heaven help you, though if you miss a flight because of the previous connection coming in late and then the baggage can take several days to get to the final destination - BUT in my experience it did/does ^
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not check bags, but the gentleman with whom I flew from JNB last week had one. The agent at the bag drop desk quickly and efficiently checked the bag to final destination, no questions asked, even though the final leg was on another airline and a separate PNR. He even went to the trouble of showing us the tag before affixing it to the bag, confirming that all airports en route had been correctly entered and prrinted. Best of all, the bag actually arrived at its destination on schedule and in one piece.

Johan
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:12 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I do not check bags, but the gentleman with whom I flew from JNB last week had one. The agent at the bag drop desk quickly and efficiently checked the bag to final destination, no questions asked, even though the final leg was on another airline and a separate PNR. He even went to the trouble of showing us the tag before affixing it to the bag, confirming that all airports en route had been correctly entered and prrinted. Best of all, the bag actually arrived at its destination on schedule and in one piece.

Johan
A vital piece of info missing though....which airline?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
So in summary:
  • Some airlines will interline bags out of alliance on separate itineraries/tickets.
  • BA won't.
  • Some people don't like this.
  • Said people are arguing with the people who think it's fine.
Am I right?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOH
A vital piece of info missing though....which airline?
JNB-LHR-CPH-ARN on BA/SK

Johan
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SMK77
Absolutely HIDDYous... Do you know why so many people get frustrated with the old BA guards on here defending every single bit of BA to death?
That got my day off to a good start. ^
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by stifle
So in summary:
  • Some airlines will interline bags out of alliance on separate itineraries/tickets.
  • BA won't.
  • Some people don't like this.
  • Said people are arguing with the people who think it's fine.
Am I right?
No, some people said BA will, and have, interlined. I'm guessing when they will and won't will depend on:

1) The connection time. In the OPs case, perhaps the agent thought that 60 minutes was too tight and would lead to costing BA if the bag missed the connection.

2) The manner in which people speak to the agent. If the OP communicated in the same manner as in this thread, I suggest the agent would not be motivated to help them.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by budgetingjew
Because the IATA was created for you to excersize your rights in traveling in one of their member airlines. Fool on you for not envoking them.

Hint... interlining is one of the IATA's regulations. If you don't understand, go to Montreal.. It's in Canada.
I logged off FT for a ouple of hours only to find this thread having exploded a bit.

Have you actually been to visit IATA's office in Montreal, budgetingjew? Ask them why and how they were established? And what did they tell you about interlining?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.