Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Old May 22, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here's one for the ATC boys and girls..(are there any girls?).

What's the smallest aircraft to land at LHR?
Routinely? Probably a bizjet such as the Citation.

Smallest I've seen was a bunch of flex wing microlights a number of years ago who positioned in to recreate, from memory, the first London to Paris flight. They left LHR on the day in miserable weather. In order to keep the normal traffic flowing they didn't actually use the runway but a part of the taxiway to the south of 09R.

A bit of googling just turned up this page, with some video...

http://www.brian-milton.com/video/london-paris-pt.shtml

The chap waving the flag to see them off was the then Manager ATC at LHR, RT.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

Although there is, of course, the legendary Chipmunk.....dawn broke one day and the was a Chipmunk on the grass by the northern runway, nobody knew how it had got there.........
Though some have a good idea...
Old May 22, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: BA
Does the King Air actually land ? It doesn't appear to do so when it comes to calibrate London City.

Yes, small Citation business jets are regular, plus the very occasional exec twin prop owned by someone with more money for fees than sense to go nearby.

Quite some years ago (1990s ?) I also seem to recall that, one Christmas morning, when the airport loses most (though not all) of its scheduled flights, there was a whole group of light Cessnas etc landed for a few minutes.

Regarding looking at Concorde, this was a never-ending fact, it was even more prevalent at JFK, where on taxi out every ramp worker from every airline, and anyone near a window, was looking at you. And I can remember being on Cathay awaiting departure from Heathrow 27R one evening when Concorde came out from T4, passing us all without stopping, and the Cathay skipper giving us all a non-stop commentary on every aspect of it. Yes, it did shake up our 747 as they opened up for the take-off roll, and we needed to do another cabin secure call after it had gone from sight, to be sure everyone was sat down again ! Another recollection must have been about 1980, in the dining room of the old Excelsior Hotel on the A4, with departures from 27R somewhat visible from the windows. Someone shouted "look, there goes Concorde" and about half the diners threw down their cutlery and rushed for the windows. If you were in the Business car park on the northside when it went, that was the best, it used to set off several hundred car alarms !
Old May 22, 2012, 10:52 am

On the theme of Concorde jumping the take off queue...
On one of my very few journeys onboard, we pushed back from T4 and I noticed a significant queue at the end of the runway. We taxied around the entire lot right to the runway, and the captain came over the mike to announce "oh how fortunate, ATC have found a slot for us". Wonderful.
Old May 22, 2012, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks chaps.

I bet the story behind that Chipmunk must be an interesting one.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by WHBM

Quite some years ago (1990s ?) I also seem to recall that, one Christmas morning, when the airport loses most (though not all) of its scheduled flights, there was a whole group of light Cessnas etc landed for a few minutes.
Back when I started at LHR it was routine on Christmas Day to get a few of the local light aircraft fraternity calling up for a touch and go or low approach and go-around. In the summer, airshow season, if anything interesting called up for a zone transit we'd ask if they wanted to do a fly-by down one of the runways. Saw all sorts from Stearman, Spitfire, F-111 etc do that.

The airport authority eventually told us to stop anything and everything fun.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
Does the King Air actually land ? It doesn't appear to do so when it comes to calibrate London City.
Not during the actual calibration process itself.
Old May 22, 2012, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I bet the story behind that Chipmunk must be an interesting one.
An interesting story indeed. Stolen by a "competent lunatic".

Old May 22, 2012, 11:38 am

Was there a reason why concorde jumped the queues - i.e. trying to reduce engine time or fuel wastage etc? Or was it simply a matter of respect for such a great machine? I did notice that it didn't always get this privilege though?
Old May 22, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by exiled tyke
Was there a reason why concorde jumped the queues - i.e. trying to reduce engine time or fuel wastage etc? Or was it simply a matter of respect for such a great machine? I did notice that it didn't always get this privilege though?
As soon as it pushed back from stand it was tight on fuel, especially on the Barbados run, so an expeditious departure was always appreciated. It also occasionally had to depart at a specific time to deconflict with the AFR Concorde departing from Paris. There were only, from memory, a couple of supersonic tracks across the North Atlantic (they were above the weather that affected the subsonic traffic so the SST tracks were fixed, they didn't move on a daily basis as the other tracks do).

It wasn't unusual to get a call in approach from BA, within minutes of the aircraft departing Barbados back to LHR, to advise it would only have minimal if any holding capacity back in London. The JFK flight could usually manage 15 to 20 minutes or so if necessary.

Then there were the calls to say it was on for the record time crossing and any chance of a no delay approach to see if they could break it...

In the terminal area it was an impressive performer. Could fly exceptionally quickly to relatively short final, or could fly really quite slowly as well, though the latter at a tremendous fuel and noise penalty. When light it went up like a lift and could also do a good impression of a brick on the way down.

Sadly missed from an ATC perspective.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:30 pm

An interesting story indeed. Stolen by a "competent lunatic".
Didn't do the tower controller's career any harm, he went on to be a NATS General Manager.
Old May 22, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brilliant stories and insight guys - thank you.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Standard track Sierra Mike was the usual BAW1 or BAW3 oceanic clearance. However, if there was something preventing it (conflicting with AFR Concorde, or airspace closure/military exercise), we used to have to read out the latitude, longitude, flight level and sometimes speed for each oceanic waypoint, of which there were at least eight.....not good when the frequency is going like the clappers already, and you know from talking to Sector 23 Bristol that it's going to be a non-standard one, when you hear "Good morning Delivery, Speedbird Concorde One is half an hour to start, requesting Oceanic Clearance......."

Hey, Supervisor, I must be next for a break!
Old May 22, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I remember driving past Heathrow once when Concorde took off on my right hand side, the noise was deafening even in my double glazed car

Lovely sight, though, to be overtaken by Concorde

Can't remember exactly where I was at the time, but I assume it must have been the Bath road at a location where there was enough of a gap in buildings to see the northern runway.,,
Old May 22, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by MNManInKen
I remember driving past Heathrow once when Concorde took off on my right hand side, the noise was deafening even in my double glazed car
Not sure how they got the tower number, but took a call from an irate motorist once who said Concorde gave them such a fright there should be traffic lights on the M25 to stop the traffic before it took off...

As the roar of Concorde subsided on departure it was replaced by the sound of numerous car alarms going off in the car parks adjacent to the runway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.