Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Actually, they are not as weird as I expected them to be. I thought there would be something a lot more outrageously strange ( ), although I have no idea what that could be.
Well the sex toys don't normally make it to the aircraft as I've often seen the security people pulling out rabbits of the rampant variety and disposing of them.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:22 am

Not sure why I've just thought of this one. But here goes:

- are you trained to pass CC colleagues in the aisles crotch to crotch, rear to crotch or rear to rear?

I confess to not knowing which one is the least offensive to do when passing fellow passengers
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:22 am

One from me: What's the weirdest/funniest attempt at trying to get an onboard upgrade that you can recall?
"I'm very important, you know, so I'll just sit here" (1F on 737)

"The gate staff said I could have an upgrade - they obviously forgot to tell you"

"I'm a GCH so I have to be upgraded. I don't want to sit with my family"

At what age do BA's cabin and flight crew have to retire?
For us CC it's when we fall over and can't get back up again

Can you tell us about a time when you felt like saying 'to hell with this' and 'im not coming back'?
When someone threatens with violence, yes. I just want to walk out, but I've gotten over it every time. Luckily it doesn't happen too often.

What is the weirdest object (food, implement, rabbit, light bulb etc etc - any object, basically) that you have ever been asked for in flight?

MP3 chargers, Portable DVD players, apricot juice, caviar, stuff like that. All terribly innocent, really.

When you have stops, what do you like to buy to take back home?
Herbs and spices, sauces, sunscreen, rum, wine and tomatoes. The latter from Italy only.

That's all for now. Can I take a break now please? My roast dinner isn't going to cook itself, you know
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Not sure why I've just thought of this one. But here goes:

- are you trained to pass CC colleagues in the aisles crotch to crotch, rear to crotch or rear to rear?

I confess to not knowing which one is the least offensive to do when passing fellow passengers

That made me laugh, sorry. There isn't a module about passing in the aisles at CC training school, I'm afraid. We just pass each other one way or the other. The most non-offensive way is rear to rear, I reckon, as otherwise you might get too close to each other's faces and if you're passing a female you might inadvertently touch something you shouldn't ...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

But just a few weeks ago I had a passenger demand he be upgraded as he was a gold card holder and Willie Walsh had arranged an upgrade on every one of his flights with BA, of which he'd taken 20 this month alone.
If I didn't do it I wouldn't have a job by the end of the day after he'd spoken to Willie.
The passenger was a blue card holder, had no other flights booked with BA (nor any flights taken in the previous few months) and flew in the cabin he'd paid for, ie. economy. I still have my job I'm pleased to say.
I do have Sir Martin Broughton in my contacts (don't ask) and did once almost threaten to fish out the number and make the day of somone, who was manning the F checkin at LHR T5, as bad as they were making mine. It was my first F, so very excited, and this person wasn't going to check us in because of a computer problem with our details.

Fortunately for them the person concerned got on the phone to IT to fix the problem, but only after I suggested that I wasn't budging from where I was until we were checked in, even if it meant we missed the flight. Bit rich to start demanding upgrades (which I've never done), even if you do know the people concerned, which he patently didn't.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Well the sex toys don't normally make it to the aircraft as I've often seen the security people pulling out rabbits of the rampant variety and disposing of them.
Oh my goodness, I was thinking of something more innocent, like a tin of sardines!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Oh my goodness, I was thinking of something more innocent, like a tin of sardines!
Ah, fish - that goes to Kingston!!!

I have vague memories of someone who had an entire case full of tea bags. Can't remember where they were going.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by JetSet Lady
Apologies for returning to such a depressing subject, but a couple more points to the question of getting out of an aircraft in an emergency. Sorry if this is a bit too detailed and graphic but as has already been said, forewarned is forearmed.

1. Keep your shoes on for take-off and landing. It never fails to amaze me how many regular fliers take their shoes off as soon as sitting down. Even in a "semi-normal" evacuation, you do not want to be running around the tarmac in your socks.

2. If you are in a window seat, keep the window blind open. What is happening outside the aircraft could be a big clue on which way you need to go. It may also let extra light into the cabin.

3. Headphones. Don't just take them out of your ears and leave them hanging. Take them out completely and tidy up and stow the cables. If you need to get out of there in a hurry, you do not want to find yourself tangled up in the arm rest. In a fire situation, even a small delay can make a difference. Same for other electrics.

4. Keep the floor clear. No papers discarded as you read them. Bags tucked well under the seat if applicable. No bag handles trailing from under the seat.

5. Back to awareness. Don't just count the rows to the nearest exit. Make sure you know how far it is to the alternatives both, in front and behind.

6. During an evacuation, if fire is present, grab something to cover your mouth and nose. If nothing is available, use the head rest cover. 99% of the time, the fumes will kill before the fire does.

7. Again, in a fire situation, try to keep as low as is safely possible without risking being trampled.

8. I always keep my jacket on for take off and landing, not only because I could suddenly find myself running around in the cold outside, but also because it offers some protection from flying debris.

9. And yet again, awareness. What can you see happening around you? Is one exit obviously blocked? Is there another you can use? Are the seats in front of you empty? If need be, can you push the backs down and go over the top? Bear in mind you may not be able to hear instructions from the crew. Apart from hearing being one of the first senses to go in a traumatic incident, the noise and confusion will possibly/probably be overwhelming.

10. And finally, I know it's something we bang on about all the time, but watch the demo. Make some plans. Ask questions about anything you are unsure of. Have a look at one of the main doors. How do they work? Could you open one if the crew are incapacitated? Know the aircraft you are travelling on. No crew member worth their salt will have any problem with answering your queries if you explain why you are asking.

Once again, apologies for being so graphic and possibly stating the obvious in some areas. The above tips, in most part, cover the possible worse case scenarios, something which thankfully, the vast majority of people will never encounter. They aren't intended to frighten people. But if, God forbid, one of us should find ourselves in that situation, they may just help
Thanks that's extremely useful to know.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Really? Why would they pull out and dispose of such an item? Surely there is no law against it, or rule disallowing carriage, even in hand luggage?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be interested to know how someone was going to take control of a plane using a "rabbit of the rampant variety".
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
On what basis? A dangerous weapon? Do they think it will be used to incapacitate cabin crew....
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:36 am

I have vague memories of someone who had an entire case full of tea bags. Can't remember where they were going.
That may have been me I often carry product samples and I do get a few funny looks from security

Another question for me - directed at the ground staff...

I love to travel for holidays and love experiencing new cultures and different types of people all over the world. This makes me very excited to go on holiday. When travelling on business, I am usually a right grumpy b@st@rd (). Is it obvious on check-in, at the lounges, and coming onboard the reason for people's trips? (Note: when travelling for work, I am often dressed the same way as if I would be travelling for leisure )

Last edited by rossmacd; Nov 20, 2011 at 7:58 am
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Another question: what's the weirdest attire you've ever seen at checkin or on-board?

^ to ColdWalker for this thread. A great break from the Avios stuff.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Another question: what's the weirdest attire you've ever seen at checkin or on-board?

^ to ColdWalker for this thread. A great break from the Avios stuff.
OT
during the LeMans 24hr there was a guy running down Arnage main street in a mankini and flipflops, that has stuck with me for years
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

I saw on a BA flight the other day a passenger with a huge box of PG Tips.

Some time ago I also saw a passenger with lots of tins of tuna and bags of rice at LHR who was stopped at security, presumably for the liquid in tinned tuna. I was a bit confused as to why she was carrying them in hand luggage, but I suppose her hold luggage may have been full.

I suppose she didn't need to ask for them from cabin crew, assuming the security let her through with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.