Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What is the weirdest, strangest thing you have ever been asked by a passenger?
Sadly far too personal and odd (think restraining order) to put on here....

Originally Posted by Paralytic
For checkin staff, what is the best/worst excuse you've ever been given for someone arriving late for checkin.

Also, what's the worst reason you've ever been given for why someone must have an upgrade.
People never give good excuses for being late, it is somehow always my fault! I did once ask a customer if he wanted to complain about my absence last night. He looked puzzled and I pointed out that clearly his expectation was that I would be there the night previously to pack, feed the cat, book his taxi and set his alarm clock! He took my point then.....

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Originally Posted by ardboe
Has anyone ever asked you out or for your phone number?
Twice...

Once was business card, which turned out to be someone actually wanting me for a job, but I did not want to move to PRG...

Other was a phone number for other purposes, but that was swiftly popped into the bin...
Now I know why you didn't call

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Ok one for the cabin crew and flight deck, whats the best and worse crew meals ?

cs
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:39 am

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Apart from that, I have done a flight with 1 passenger too...
I've been that passenger - on a BA flight back from Oslo, after a snowstorm, where all of the other passengers got rebooked onto an SAS flight because the BA flight was many hours late in. I had been stuck in a taxi that crashed on the way to the airport, finally got to the airport expecting to spend the night there, and I was told the plane and its crew had waited just for me ;-). Was the most pleasant flying experience of my life!

-simon
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Ok one for the cabin crew and flight deck, whats the best and worse crew meals ?

cs
The best one we have on Short Haul is Sausage and Mash... it is yum yum yum... Has this white cheese sauce with it too, which I would have never thought to put on sausage and mash, but some clever person at DHL did, and I love it...

Worst one... Um... "Roast Chicken"... I think they certainly find the lesser bits of chicken to roast for us...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
NEVER ask!!! Bring the agent chocolates, wine and flowers and look like George Clooney

Seems like that explains your bad luck in that area.

Seriously though if cabins at the rear of the aircraft are overbooked, we have a note in the page for that flight which asks us to comment passengers who are SFU.

Those who get the comment tend to be dressed nicely, (ie. nice trousers/smart jeans and top/jacket. Trainers and trackies, or a Rooney shirt don't qualify!), sociable and friendly on check in, if you ask to pay for an upgrade, no special meal requested, etc. It tends to be a bit of a gut instinct and we all approach it slightly differently. Most colleagues get annoyed when asked for a free upgrade and won't put SFU but a few don't mind at all and will put the comment in
presumably this advice applies to pax without BAEC status (gold/silver)? Or is that also at discretion of agent?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Just a couple of questions:

What's the most difficult route to operate on? I don't mean necessarily the busiest but is there one that that the flight/cabin crew really hate for demanding passengers, lots to get done in 30 minute flight time, difficult approach, nasty approach controllers, etc, etc.?

Also, how many of the cabin crew hold PPL or CPL? I can imagine this being a route to the flight deck but maybe it doesn't work like that? (I recal a great story of an Air Canada FA taking over the FO duties when he became ill, she had a CPL and did a good job I remember).

Cheers!

p.s. awesome thread idea! ^
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimonsMiles
I've been that passenger - on a BA flight back from Oslo, after a snowstorm, where all of the other passengers got rebooked onto an SAS flight because the BA flight was many hours late in. I had been stuck in a taxi that crashed on the way to the airport, finally got to the airport expecting to spend the night there, and I was told the plane and its crew had waited just for me ;-). Was the most pleasant flying experience of my life!

-simon
Similar situation for my single passenger... I think it was a VIE flight, snow disruption and there was one passenger to come back. Everything was late or cancelled, and this one guy would have been left in VIE over christmas if he did not come with us, so, seeing as we were going to be late back, we waited and he was brought out in a car by himself... He was booked in Traveller, but was put in Club and he was so happy bless him. He got home to his family for Christmas, we all got home and everything was good...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

cs
I don't eat crew meals and normally bring something from home, if away I eat before the flight. I do have a sweet tooth so might try one of the passenger desserts.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VolcanoMan
Also, how many of the cabin crew hold PPL or CPL? I can imagine this being a route to the flight deck but maybe it doesn't work like that? (I recal a great story of an Air Canada FA taking over the FO duties when he became ill, she had a CPL and did a good job I remember).
Interesting question...

There are a few that I know of, and indeed one Short Haul chap who is a PPL instructor... So, they are about.

In the case of Pilot Incapacitation, we have VERY strict rules at BA/in the UK, about how much we would be allowed to do in the flight deck in such situations, I suppose even with a PPL/CPL.

As for "demanding routes", I may refrain from that one as I don't want it to be misconstrued into some sort of anti this or that country or people, as it has been before...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Paralytic
For checkin staff, what is the best/worst excuse you've ever been given for someone arriving late for checkin.

Also, what's the worst reason you've ever been given for why someone must have an upgrade.
A few years ago I had someone tell me they were late as they'd been hang gliding and the glider had got stuck on somebody's roof and he had to wait for the fire brigade to arrive and free him! I have no idea whether it was true or not, but he still missed his flight!!

Unfortunately we get a lot of people late for flights due to issues with the trains. Sadly a lot of people throw themselves under trains (far more than you'd ever think) and the lines get closed as a result. Terribly, terribly sad for all concerned.

Whenever there are issues with the trains, or big crashes on motorways (in our immediate area or not so near) we are advised by the airport so that we're on alert for late passengers.

Hmm, upgrades - lots of different excuses (wedding, honeymoon, anniversary, birthday, etc tend to be the most common) and hard to remember some of the best/worst.
But just a few weeks ago I had a passenger demand he be upgraded as he was a gold card holder and Willie Walsh had arranged an upgrade on every one of his flights with BA, of which he'd taken 20 this month alone. If I didn't do it I wouldn't have a job by the end of the day after he'd spoken to Willie.
The passenger was a blue card holder, had no other flights booked with BA (nor any flights taken in the previous few months) and flew in the cabin he'd paid for, ie. economy. I still have my job I'm pleased to say.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Very interesting, thanks BingBongBoy!

I guess BA/CAA don't want to risk someone not be rated on that particular type making things inadvertently worse even if they have all the general handling skills etc... and perhaps single pilot operation is statistically better in those situations.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by botham
I find it very difficult coming to terms with turbulence, so much so that even with a flat bed I am reluctant to lie down, as I feel I would feel disorientated if turbulence struck.

Have you any tips on dealing with / understanding turbulence and which, if any routes, are more likely to be subject to this phenomenon?
I'll just bump this question. Difficult to answer, but a very common concern of people.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by shogan1977
presumably this advice applies to pax without BAEC status (gold/silver)? Or is that also at discretion of agent?
If upgrades are required our Flight Control department will always look at any status passengers travelling and move them first.

However, sometimes there are no status passengers on a flight - this happens more at LGW than LHR as our routes tend to be more leisure ones. Sometimes the amount of people needing to be moved doesn't correspond with the status passengers travelling, ie. we need to move 3 single travellers and the only status passengers are in groups.
Remember if upgrades are done due to oversales they are often at the last minute, ie. less than 5 minutes before flight closure, and it's easier to move single passengers than a family which will then require seats to be moved to get them together.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I'll just bump this question. Difficult to answer, but a very common concern of people.
Indeed - I get nervous during turbulence and sometimes wonder how the aircraft can take that strain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.