Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Is the h silent or voiced, in "whinging"? I've never heard the word outside FT.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Ah har! ATC - now you so shouldn't have posted I have a feeling, Heathrow Tower, you're in for a few questions, if you're up for it?

Programs: BAEC Silver
ColdWalker, fire away! ^

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Ah har! ATC - now you so shouldn't have posted I have a feeling your in for a few questions, if you're up for it?
Sorry, my fault

(s)he posted on another thread and I asked him/her to come over here and share experiences. I can guess they won't be able to share the best stories though
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
LHR Air Traffic Controller here:

Funniest thing (albeit unintentionally!) flight crew ever asked me, was at about 1330 on 18th December, 2010 at.......

"Errr, Tower, the snow doesn't look too bad, do you think the runway will be closed for long?"
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
This is a little surprising, so maybe I misunderstood your answer.

Many years ago I worked for CO, back in the Frank Lorenzo days (note to youngsters: google him and see ). I wasn't flight crew, but I dealt with a lot of them. The airline had arrangements with hotels in every city they served, and when finishing a flight they usually headed off to said hotel where the room was paid for, or at least reimbursed. The price may or may not have included any meals.

As a side benefit, we all had company ID's, and that was usually good for an 'airline rate' at most hotels, car rentals, etc. that the airline had arrangements with, so I often used my ID on vacation to keep the cost down.

PS - never heard of 'Delsey dining', but I can imagine ...
Sorry, to clarify:

The company pays for the hotel rooms. We don't have to worry about that. The company has contracts with hotels for x amount of time. Crew pay for food/drinks/extras. Apart from breakfast on LGW routes (bar USA destinations). Flight crew don't get "free" breakfast". We do tend to get discounts on food (and sometimes beverages) in the hotels we stay in, usually 10%, which in most places is the equivalent of the dreaded "service charge".

Re Delsey dining - it's amazing what one can make with a kettle and an iron
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by MJLouise
Is the h silent or voiced, in "whinging"? I've never heard the word outside FT.
As in win-jing!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Depends what you define as 'best stories!'

Getting stuck in our outside lift for 4 hours on December morning half way up the tower, by the end of which flight crew were commenting on me to my colleagues on the radio, and ground staff were waving up at me?

Or agreeing to take over the Tower Supervisor's position as a favour to the incumbent for a few minutes on my Brithday to allow him to grab a coffee, and then having to react to the biggest incident in LHR's recent history?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Sorry, my fault
Opening post altered accordingly!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Baconroll
Re Delsey dining - it's amazing what one can make with a kettle and an iron
So, in the spirit of this thread, what's the best thing you've made with a kettle and and iron

And, what's the most revolting thing you've had to make do with when doing self-service (keep it clean please)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

fire away! ^
How come after waiting ages to enter the runway at LHR some bugger comes from nowhere and without waiting enters the runway further down and takes off?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:58 pm
Suspended

What I love about this thread - 11 pages so far, no whinging or whining just lots of laughs and us all getting on again. Brilliant ^
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
How come after waiting ages to enter the runway at LHR some bugger comes from nowhere and without waiting enters the runway further down and takes off?
Lufthansa?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
LHR Air Traffic Controller here:

Funniest thing (albeit unintentionally!) flight crew ever asked me, was at about 1330 on 18th December, 2010 at.......

"Errr, Tower, the snow doesn't look too bad, do you think the runway will be closed for long?"
Welcome to the BA board.^

That Pilot/FO must have worked in the press department for BAA then as I remember a BAA staffer on tv that day, saying everything was running as normal when the snow was coming down thick and fast behind him and it was obvious that things wouldn't stay that way.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Lufthansa?
I expect the had pit their towels out earlier.

I've hear other crew saying BA get to barge in because BAA give their biggest customer priority at h/row. True?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.