Ask the BA Staffer and Heathrow ATC

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
I think we dress for comfort, suit and tie not ideal sat in front of a radar display in a warmish room.
They didn't get that part of spec right?

Still, at least you have "Mother Earth" tones in the decor, thanks to an old NATS colleague!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

Still, at least you have "Mother Earth" tones in the decor, thanks to an old NATS colleague!
The colour scheme in our room is pretty much identical to how it was back at West Drayton.

Mother Earth is conspicuous by her absence in AC next door, your old NATS colleague must have missed working on that one!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
The colour scheme in our room is pretty much identical to how it was back at West Drayton.

Mother Earth is conspicuous by her absence in AC next door, your old NATS colleague must have missed working on that one!
Oh, Ken R was much seized by the colour scheme for Swanwick. Indeed, the OH actually had to go to meetings on the subject. It's all about keeping you guys cool, calm and relaxed ... Apparently
ISTR he wasn't that interested in technical issues, though. That's why LATCC Comms sat on my desk! When I left the fat files ran to 12 volumes!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:05 am

positioning flights

Forgive me if this has been asked however using the nonexistent search function on my mobile device is a challenge.

If there is an aircraft swap between LHR and LGW, my understanding is that there is a skeleton crew who ferry the plane for the short hop. What prevents BA from using outstations served by both airports to facilitate swaps. E.g. AMS for 320s. I guess it involves more logistical planning but wouldn't there be benefits too such as fuel savings, crew pay and slot usage?

Edit: Are there any Long Haul destinations served by both London Airports?

Last edited by evanderm; Oct 17, 2012 at 11:14 am
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by evanderm
If there is an aircraft swap between LHR and LGW, my understanding is that there is a skeleton crew who ferry the plane for the short hop. What prevents BA from using outstations served by both airports to facilitate swaps. E.g. AMS for 320s. I guess it involves more logistical planning but wouldn't there be benefits too such as fuel savings, crew pay and slot usage?
Firstly the short-haul fleets are different types, they're A320s at Heathrow and 737s at Gatwick. Long-haul serves different destinations from the two airports.

Secondly, this only works if you really want another aircraft back. A review of the ferry flights between Heathrow and Gatwick shows it's almost unknown for an aircraft to be moved each way on the same day. There are only a handful such movements a month (disregarding things like repositioning weather diversions) anyway. They generally accompany aircraft at the beginning/end of heavy maintenance, or fundamental changes in the fleet size.

Lastly, the schedules at overseas points are constructed independently, so the opportunities for two aircraft being there simultaneously are limited in any event.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Edit: Are there any Long Haul destinations served by both London Airports?
LAS from the end of this month. Can't think of any others.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC
Are there any Long Haul destinations served by both London Airports?
Korean Air to ICN.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by destere
Korean Air to ICN.
I assumed BA routes only
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dunk
I assumed BA routes only
I read the question out of context. A little to eager maybe?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Here's one for the crew: Who decides who whether the drop down screens get used for the map/inflight data?

Tuesday night flew LHR-ABZ on G-EUUJ (BA1316), and the screens were used for both safety video and for the moving map, etc.; came back on G-EUUR (BA1315) last night, and the screens were used for the safety video and then not dropped down again.

Any SOP or was there another reason (inc, but not limited to 'not being bothered') that they weren't used during the flight?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They should be used, maybe the moving map wasn't working, it happens occasionally?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Can I help you
They should be used, maybe the moving map wasn't working, it happens occasionally?
Or they just forgot, which sometimes also happens. If you had asked them, they may have deployed them for you and thanked you for reminding them, that is if the system was working.

It wouldn't be because they couldn't be bothered though!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Right - now here's something that's dear to my heart after recently having two EU delays that have been significantly longer than the flights themselves...

Why is it that the ground staff/screens always seem to say/display 'delayed 30 mins' followed by 'delayed an hour' followed by 'delayed 90 mins' followed by 'delayed 2 hours' and so on, when it is obvious that the aircraft carrying out said flight has not even left LHR/LGW yet?

It drives you mad, as if you know the plane is nowhere near, why do that? At least if they were honest then you could plan accordingly.

Bizarrely, I even showed ground staff at LHR recently that there was no way the flight could be on time, since they told me the AC reg and I looked at it on flightstats and could see it had only just left its destination!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Marriott Gold
The reason you get a creeping delay is because BA are trying to improve on the situation of the inbound flight being late. They need to find an appropriate and available aircraft plus flight crew and cabin crew. Sometimes this works out by getting a stand by aircraft or one coming off maintenance and by finding standby crew. Sometimes it is not possible to resolve. If they immediately posted a 2-3 hour delay then found crew and aircraft you can guarantee passengers will go missing causing further delay.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:09 am

Smile

"Are there any Long Haul destinations served by both London Airports?"
BA serves JFK from two London airports.
I think the use of "both" in this question is a bit odd. London has at least six major airports - and BA serve three of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.