Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Award Booking Difficulties - Constructive Help Thread

Old Nov 19, 11, 6:17 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

I am starting this thread in order that we can try to offer constructive suggestions to each other on award booking difficulties.

Topics to be covered in this thread include (but not limited to):
- I cannot find redemption seats for A-B, help! Can you suggest something please?
- Is there a better way to book my award flights so that I can use fewer Avios?
- Booking system is not doing what I think it should be doing. What can I do?

etc.

Please note that this thread is not a place for rants. Rants are to be posted to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vios-baec.html please.

For general questions about Avios changes, please see the official Questions and Answers thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ns-16-nov.html

As a general rule, when you encounter a difficulty, the less ranting your post is, the better help you will get. So I suggest the following formula:
1. Calmly outline the problem you are encountering.
2. Outline the outcome you want to achieve
3. Politely request help (remembering the "please" )

With the collective forum wisdom, I hope we can get to help each other find what we are looking for.

Now over to you. Good luck with your trip planning!

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum
Old Nov 19, 11, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Threads discussing technical issues with the website (blocking searches/booking):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ease-read.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-thanks.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...om-issues.html <-- Mostly issues with the pre-Avios site, but it includes newer posts as well.
Old Nov 19, 11, 12:14 pm

I will start--I'm looking for some suggestions for 2 SCL-IPC redemptions.
My date is not very flexible--it has to be Jan. 28 or 29th. I can find no availabilty for the 28th and only J for the 29th, which would be 25,000 Avios per person. I may wind up doing this as the same redemption on AA would be 50,000 per person.

One twist--my husband is booked under the old BA miles IPC-JFK in Y for 20,000. If I call, do you think there is a chance I could pay a change fee to start from SCL, making it SCL-IPC-JFK? Any ideas on if/what additional Avios points would be if this was allowed? (And this would mix J and Y so may not be a great solution anyway)

I thought I had a good LAN paid flight going SCL-EZE-IPC, but it has been nothing but problems trying to actually purchase and isn't going to work out so now I am scrambling to get us between SCL-IPC.

I'd appreciate any suggestions very much.
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
I will start--I'm looking for some suggestions for 2 SCL-IPC redemptions.
My date is not very flexible--it has to be Jan. 28 or 29th. I can find no availabilty for the 28th and only J for the 29th, which would be 25,000 Avios per person. I may wind up doing this as the same redemption on AA would be 50,000 per person.

One twist--my husband is booked under the old BA miles IPC-JFK in Y for 20,000. If I call, do you think there is a chance I could pay a change fee to start from SCL, making it SCL-IPC-JFK? Any ideas on if/what additional Avios points would be if this was allowed? (And this would mix J and Y so may not be a great solution anyway)
Not sure I understand you.

So you want two SCL-IPC and one IPC-SCL-JFK redemption? Plus, you want to change your husbands IPC-SCL-JFK to SCL-IPC-SCL-JFK?

You won't be able to do the last one all as a one way as it's backtracking through the same airport....SCL twice.
Old Nov 19, 11, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Not sure I understand you.

So you want two SCL-IPC and one IPC-SCL-JFK redemption? Plus, you want to change your husbands IPC-SCL-JFK to SCL-IPC-SCL-JFK?

You won't be able to do the last one all as a one way as it's backtracking through the same airport....SCL twice.
Thanks for responding. OK, I will try to be clearer.

I currently need a total of 2 one-ways, SCL-IPC.

My husband already has a pre-Nov.16th Y BA award ticket IPC-LIM-JFK. Is there any way I could call and pay a change fee to have him start from SCL instead of IPC--ideally SCL-IPC-LIM-JFK (I think this would have been allowed when I booked his ticket). That way I would only need to redeem Avios points for 1 SCL-IPC award for me.

Questions I have trying to do this:
Would it be allowed and how much would it cost?
His original flight is in Y but I can only find the SCL-IPC leg in J. What kind of increase in miles would this cost and would it be using the BA redemption values or the Avios redemption values?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Nov 20, 11, 12:16 am

Well, I think I may be well and truly screwed. While pondering what to do and checking other options, award availability SCL-IPC dropped to 1 seat.

LAN still shows award availability--do they ever release any more award seats to BA, or once LAN awards are gone, that's it??

I have transferred SPG points over to LAN as a backup, but apparently that takes 7-30 days. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Where is HG Wells when you need him?
Old Nov 21, 11, 12:59 pm

I already booked a flight WAS-MIA-GRU for 12/23 in First (Any class works), however was wondering if there was a better way to use the miles for getting to GRU by 12/23, perhaps do something more like WAS-LIM-GRU if there's availability? I think I can still modify the trip under old rules since that's when it was booked. I'm open to suggestions.

I am still in need of a flight 1/2 GRU-WAS (any class), anyone know of availability or ways I can maximize my miles on this leg as well? I'm open to starting/ending the trip at JFK if it can lead to a better use of the miles.

Thanks for the help! Still learning the tricks to maximizing my miles.
Old Nov 21, 11, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
Why is it that AA.com shows awards available in all three classes between JFK - LAX at all award levels, including full-retail Anytime Awards, yet BA.com shows absolutely zero availability on those flights on the same dates?
Old Nov 21, 11, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
Why is it that AA.com shows awards available in all three classes between JFK - LAX at all award levels, including full-retail Anytime Awards, yet BA.com shows absolutely zero availability on those flights on the same dates?
BA only shows the saver fares. To my knowledge you can't book the anytime awards using BA, only using AA.
Old Nov 21, 11, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Tupelo
AAnytime awards will always be available on aa.com as long as a seat is available for sale, but those seats can never be obtained with partner miles.

MileSAAver award seats should be bookable with Avios points, but ba.com does not always accurately display AA award-seat availability, especially if a connection is involved.
Old Nov 21, 11, 10:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post

- Booking system is not doing what I think it should be doing. What can I do?
I don't think the booking system is doing what it's supposed to do. I know it's a new system but has anyone managed to get it to work? I've tried using Chrome and Firefox and I get the same results for the mapping portion. Using IE it tends to come up with a 'temporary error'.

Can someone confirm that what I'm trying to do (which is what I used to do on the old system) is in fact sensible.

(1) I log in and go to 'Explore and check availability'. This brings up the zonal map. It sometimes hangs at this point but assuming it doesn't, I then search for a booking that meets my criteria. For example, NYC->ABZ outbound around 14/15 May in CW, return about 29 May in CW. It comes up with several options available for those days (take 15-29 May).

(2) Out of interest, I try to go to the next stage to see the cost but I'm not really interested as I want to book with cash and use points for the upgrade. I'm just using this exercise to check availability. It doesn't tend to let me through to the next stage and comes up with 'our servers are not responding, try again' although it did look like at one point - before the choose flights screen - it came up with around $1050 plus 40,000 avios as a part-cash part-points option. This raises another question: how many tier points does one earn with a part-cash part-points booking in CW as it's neither a proper WT+ nor CW booking?

(3) I then jot down the dates and go back to 'Book with cash and upgrade with Avios'. So, am I right in thinking that if there's availability in the class I want (CW) in step (2) above I can then try and book and upgrade from the class below? Or is this assumption false. When I try to book in WT+ and upgrade it keeps telling me there's no availability on the dates I jotted down above.

Sorry that I've rambled on a bit.
Old Nov 22, 11, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC
For what it's worth ...

I actually had a good experience booking flights with Avios miles ...

Granted, I am not traveling until September 2012 but was able to find seats outbound PHX-LHR-FCO in CW and returning home LYS-LHR-PHX in First. The site worked well and was easy to navigate ... and no error messages. My out of pocket cost was around $700 which I consider a bargain considering the retail cost of the tickets.

I spoke with someone at the US BA call center and was told that more seats would become available if I waited but I didn't want to risk not being able to use the CHASE miles so I booked and am now looking forward to 3 weeks away from our late summer inferno.

I was surprised it was as painless as it was.

Last edited by drewaz; Nov 22, 11 at 12:07 am
Old Nov 22, 11, 2:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
I'm trying to book a o/w ticket from kelowna, BC (canada) to puerto vallarta (mexico) for Jan 1st.

Is this possible using Avios points and if so, would it be on a partner airline?

If it is on a partner airline, can it be booked online or must I call into BA to book it?

THANKS!!
Old Nov 22, 11, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
need help with realistic expectations

We have five in our family. Does BA ever offer five reward seats in biz or first to popular (resort) destinations (Mauritius, the Caribbean, Orlando, etc.)? If I find two or three seats on a given flight, is it better to book those and hope something else will open up later or wait until I find all five at once? My guess is that these are unrealistic expectations but I wanted advice from the experts.
Old Nov 22, 11, 1:08 pm

eefor jfp: Where are you traveling from?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: