Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transcript of my Correspondence with Chase over SM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transcript of my Correspondence with Chase over SM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having made an award booking today for EDI-LCY-JFK-LHR-EDI, out in CWLCY and returning in F, for the magical sum of 100,000 avios @:-) (plus taxes/charges of way less than the cost of an economy seat), all I can say is long may the Chase freeloaders complain and threaten class action, giving me more flights to use my avios on.

With a bit of luck they will lose the avios after 3 years of complaining and not spending, and have nothing left to complain about.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
My oodles of miles come from

the 50% bonus I get for every 1$ I spend on my RBC CC i.e. for free

the 180,000 miles I could buy each year by buying points from another points program and convering into BAEC for around CAD$2400 plus 5% tax i.e. by investing directly in miles

spending huge amounts of money on my CC for company expenses i.e. for free

, spouse using CC for company expenses and using Esso card to get up to 4 miles per 1$ spent among churing SPG Amex i.e. for free
For the cases where you got your miles for free, you have lost nothing.

For your investment in miles directly I wonder if spending the cash on paying for actual flights instead might have been a better idea. Caveat emptor. The value of investments can go down as well as up and so forth.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:21 pm

Did you miss that?
Nope. You earn your miles in a way that I would say many other people on this board do.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver
My oodles of miles come from the 50% bonus I get for every 1$ I spend on my RBC CC, the 180,000 miles I could buy each year by buying points from another points program and convering into BAEC for around CAD$2400 plus 5% tax, spending huge amounts of money on my CC for company expenses, spouse using CC for company expenses and using Esso card to get up to 4 miles per 1$ spent among churing SPG Amex, and other CDN CC's for between 22.5K and 30K miles for roughtly 40-60$CAD...every 1.5 years or so.
And I presume no-one forced you to convert them to BA miles; it was all your choice? And you now think you made a bad choice?

Why not face up to the consequences of your actions instead of looking to blame others?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
Yes, please do. I really hope this becomes a regular Friday feature; great entertainment to end the week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI1nPd7hezM
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Genius1
You do realise that when you come to spend all of these miles, you still have to pay taxes, fees and charges?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
stating the rather obvious...i could not resist.

i only have 580K left...guess that is not really oodles any more. i have spent many many more than that in the last few years. i do agree, my most recent booking YYZ-HKG-NRT//HND-HKG-YYZ for 2 in J and 1 in F on CX did cost a rather annoying CAD$400 or so each in fees RT... and the trip for my inlaws YYZ-HKG-PEK//PVG-HKG-YYZ was CAD$375 each in fees in J...bugger. still. even adding all that in, they net off around CAD$1300 a/i or so for each ticket that includes the fees.

i have a spread sheet that keeps track of what the miles were purchased for etc. or churned from my cc's. Many miles cost nothing since the expense reports just washed the CC bills.

so how much am i going to pay for my flights on JAL within Japan this May? Should be pretty nice going from HND-CTS-NGO-KIX-OKA-KIX...i consider 22.5K and zero fees a nice redemption. Don't you? I mean, those 22.5K came from one 15,000 CC offer and 40-60 bucks in fees with a 50% bonus from BAEC...so not bad would you not say?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:35 pm

And I presume no-one forced you to convert them to BA miles; it was all your choice? And you now think you made a bad choice?

Why not face up to the consequences of your actions instead of looking to blame others?
I am upset with the fact that BA gave no notice of the change and upset with all the people on this board who seemed to suggest that people in NA had no reason to worry that BA would not change the rules for them in the way that they did in fact do.

Oh make not mistake about it, I have taken my pound of flesh from BA's bottom line with the use of my miles. I will still win by using those remaining miles and perhaps even focus travel from the East to the West.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection

i have a spread sheet that keeps track of what the miles were purchased for etc. or churned from my cc's. Many miles cost nothing since the expense reports just washed the CC bills.
ever considered... a hobby maybe??
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
For the cases where you got your miles for free, you have lost nothing.

For your investment in miles directly I wonder if spending the cash on paying for actual flights instead might have been a better idea. Caveat emptor. The value of investments can go down as well as up and so forth.
i guess you are right. same as those who fly BA and their company pays the dime for the flights...

BTW, would you tell a person who uses miles to fly J that they deserve less than a person who paid $$ for J?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I am upset with the fact that BA gave no notice of the change and upset with all the people on this board who seemed to suggest that people in NA had no reason to worry that BA would not change the rules for them in the way that they did in fact do.
I hope no-one listened to people they did not know on an internet board over and above all the evidence pointing to an increase in redemptions for those departing NA. Foolish IMO. The swell of information made that the most likely outcome.

I agree that BA should have given notice, however.

Oh make not mistake about it, I have taken my pound of flesh from BA's bottom line with the use of my miles. I will still win by using those remaining miles and perhaps even focus travel from the East to the West.
So, why be upset? You've done well out of the good times.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat
ever considered... a hobby maybe??
travelling is my hobby as is making the best use of my miles and miles of my family members...in fact, the whole industry of travel is my hobby.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:46 pm

I hope no-one listened to people they did not know on an internet board over and above all the evidence pointing to an increase in redemptions for those departing NA. Foolish IMO. The swell of information made that the most likely outcome.

I agree that BA should have given notice, however.

So, why be upset? You've done well out of the good times.
Your right. I give you that.

I have done very well. I guess I am upset because I can not continue to do very well. Do you remeber the line from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade..."You lost today, kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it." In time, I will figure out ways to exploit the new program.

I will just have to focus my efforts in other ways to get premium redemptions to Asia in the front of the bus and determine if there is another program that I can exploit better for where I plan to travel over the next 5 years or so.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Now remind me, what's the term for that....

Oh yes, I recall, to do that would be un-American...

Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Having made an award booking today for EDI-LCY-JFK-LHR-EDI, out in CWLCY and returning in F, for the magical sum of 100,000 avios @:-) (plus taxes/charges of way less than the cost of an economy seat), all I can say is long may the Chase freeloaders complain and threaten class action, giving me more flights to use my avios on.

With a bit of luck they will lose the avios after 3 years of complaining and not spending, and have nothing left to complain about.
I noted earlier that with the reduction of miles to JFK from YYZ on AA, one could take advantage of space out of JFK that would have otherwise added 25,000 miles versus the 9000 now and so with the reduction of miles JFK-LHR, guess it nets to what it would have been from YYZ-LHR but that space fills much faster than the JFK space and better WT+/CW sales out of JFK to MFU. Chase people will figure that out and clog the award space to LHR. At least BA will reduce the cheques it is cutting to CX.

You raise a very good point, the changes could have been worse. For example, they could have shortened the 3 year fuse.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Now remind me, what's the term for that....

Oh yes, I recall, to do that would be un-American...

To be fair to Americans he is a Canadian poster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.