Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Collective Good Value Redemption Tips thread

Old Nov 18, 11, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Ok, so it happened, let's get over it.

We know short direct flights are good, but what specifically good deals have you come up with?

There's some local flights that are nice for me. I'm in PDX, and even though YVR is only 300 miles away, flights have always been prohibitively expensive (around $250). I usually take Amtrak, which is only 1000 points each way. Now I can also fly for 4500 Avios each way; not bad if I don't want to spend 8 hours on a train. I imagine this works just as well for other US-Canada trips.

Better still, I have a trip to Africa coming up and one problem I had was intra-Africa travel. A flight from Nairobi to Capetown currently goes for around $700 one-way. It's now 8750 Avios + $115. That's about 7 cents per point, which is kind of amazing and better than any other program I've seen. I think this is the best strategy; use other programs for long hauls, and then use Avios to fly within the region for cheaper than you could any other way.

There's still a lot of value here, even if it's not the same value we had last week.

Moderator's Note

We have decided to turn this into a collective thread as it can be a valuable collection of 'good value' redemptions and tips to finding them.

The original title of this topic was "Rather than whine, let's talk about new sweet deals" but we have re-named it so that it is easy to find.

We hope more posts will be added to this as you find them. Thank you to those who have already contributed, and thank you in advance for your contributions too.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 19, 11 at 7:09 am
Old Nov 18, 11, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Well, AMS-HKG on CX for 60K is nice. Too bad I never need to go to HKG so to continue onwards to DPS or HKG brings it back in familiar territory. The familiar territory is now over 20% more expensive though.

Point to point deals are solely BKK, HKG, SIN (?) and the East Coast.
Old Nov 18, 11, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

JFK-BDA, 7.5K Avios each way in Y; 15K Avios each way in J.
Old Nov 18, 11, 3:45 am

A last minute GLA - LCY - CPH for 4500 + 13.50 in WT or 9000 + 17 in CE seems incredibly good value to me considering our country's delightful ex- taxes^
Old Nov 18, 11, 4:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Patinum), BA executive (Gold), M&M (senator), Emirates Skywards (nobody)
AceTracer - very much agree on intra-Africa redemptions. Have just booked a bunch of tickets Harare-JNB-Harare @ 9K miles + $40. Previously 20k miles + $150. JNB-MRU now very good as well.

One question though - how is it possible to book NBO-CPT as BA are not flying that route??
Old Nov 18, 11, 4:18 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
180,000 miles to HKG in F is great in my eyes, with a 2-4-1 anyway. In effect 45,000 miles and 225, for a 13 hour journey in F, it can't get much better than that*

*bar the cheaper rates to CPT/ LAX etc, that are almost as long! There's still bargains galore if people are able to use the miles in the right way. I think thats been the crux of the change, a removal of flexibility in regards to miles use, as opposed to an outright devaluation.
Old Nov 18, 11, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Hilton Gold
I wanted to say how pleased I am about the new changes. I had flights LGW-GVA booked ages ago (May I believe), family of 4 in J, using a 2 for 1 (I know - what a waste, but with young kids we could see no way of using it for long haul).

I rebooked under the new system, slight change on flights (return leg was 2 hours earlier than previously booked - but no big deal). It cost me an additional 18000 Avios, but I got my 2 for 1 returned and I will get 150 returned (including allowing 60 for the cancellation fees).

So....I get 150 and a 2 for 1 (valid until Feb 2013 - maybe I can persuade Mrs. Gate to travel long haul without the kids) in return for 18,000 Avios. Seems like good value.
Old Nov 18, 11, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
180,000 miles to HKG in F is great in my eyes, with a 2-4-1 anyway. In effect 45,000 miles and 225, for a 13 hour journey in F, it can't get much better than that*
Anything to China in fact. PEK/PVG are also good value.
Old Nov 18, 11, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Some great value awards to be had down here.

Direct EZE-LIM is 10,000 used to be 12,500.
EZE-SCL is 7,500 again cheaper than it used to be. A wee trip to Mendoza for some whine wine supping is only 4,500....that used to be 10,000 or was it 7,500? As fares down here are pretty expensive at the best of times these are tremendous value awards. I think it's time to see more of my own continent instead of heading further afield.
Thanks BA. ^
Old Nov 18, 11, 8:00 am

HKG-DPS in J down to 25000 from 40000 although mine is included in the SFO-HKG-DPS I made before the changeover
Old Nov 18, 11, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

EZE-SCL is 7,500 again cheaper than it used to be. A wee trip to Mendoza for some whine wine supping is only 4,500....that used to be 10,000 or was it 7,500? As fares down here are pretty expensive at the best of times these are tremendous value awards. I think it's time to see more of my own continent instead of heading further afield.
Thanks BA. ^
These are all very good points, of which I'd not taken notice until someone posted a chart comparing LANPASS and Avios...

I will add that AEP-GRU on the LA/4M service is very good value at 7500+taxes in Y (not sure if you can book W redemption - it's not showing up when I try although I know they market their front cabin as W). This flight has always been absurdly expensive when I try to book it using cash.

Let's just hope LAN stays tied up with BA/oneworld... if by some eventual turn of events we can use Avios for TAM flights (unlikely unless in the LAN/TAM tie-up TAM ends up leaving *A... which seems quite unlikely), then Brazil (always tending to be expensive on short flights) becomes interesting as well. Might be dreaming that one, though...
Old Nov 18, 11, 8:46 am

Programs: FT
criss crossing Japan HND-CTS; CTS-NGO; FUK-HND; HND-KMI (now if only they had F space for redemption) all for 4500 and ZERO $ although the bullcrap is not being allowed to book until 2 months out. clearly british air has no leverage over JAL. is the 2 months for domestic japan flights new?

a little more for HND-NAH...does anyone know if you can redeem on JAT?

sadly, you have to get there first. [added, sadly, british air could change their little black box and unless you make a note of things, how will you ever know british air changed anything]

Also, depending on the time of year i guess YYZ-JFK-YVR for 34,000 RT is not horrible. I mean 9000 more to fly CX versus AC.

Last edited by mkjr; Nov 18, 11 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 18, 11, 9:45 am

Programs: GGL, Cats protection
MXP into the 9000 band, unlike the rest of Italy, 54 for 2 seats tomorrow ,bargain, would be 780 odd to buy in Economy
Old Nov 18, 11, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post

EZE-SCL is 7,500 again cheaper than it used to be. As fares down here are pretty expensive at the best of times these are tremendous value awards.
Thanks BA. ^
Not sure if you used to be able to do part cash, part miles, but I've found that short hops in SA are best value when using minimal miles. Using these for all the intra-SA flights when I head down there next year.

Example:
SCL - PMC $357, or $47.37 + 2250 miles
LIM - LPB $506 or $80.70 + 3750 miles
Old Nov 18, 11, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Schultzois View Post

Let's just hope LAN stays tied up with BA/oneworld... if by some eventual turn of events we can use Avios for TAM flights (unlikely unless in the LAN/TAM tie-up TAM ends up leaving *A... which seems quite unlikely),
Well if LATAM ends up in Star we're all up poo creek. I'm hopeful they will go with Oneworld.

Originally Posted by nu_foo View Post
Not sure if you used to be able to do part cash, part miles, but I've found that short hops in SA are best value when using minimal miles. Using these for all the intra-SA flights when I head down there next year.

Example:
SCL - PMC $357, or $47.37 + 2250 miles
LIM - LPB $506 or $80.70 + 3750 miles
Yes I hadn't worked out the cash and miles part but it certainly looks a good deal. Diamond Club lives on it would seem.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: