Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Collective Good Value Redemption Tips thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective Good Value Redemption Tips thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I guess that we can conclude that the only good deals are to be had are

Long Haul (excluding non-EU ex NA flights):

from/to LHR - East Coast (from 50 to 40)
from/to LHR - HKG/BKK (from 80 to 60)
from/to LHR - PEK (from ?? to 50) new!
from/to LHR - NRT/HND (from 80 to 60) new!

and Short Haul in Y

Right?

Last edited by henkybaby; Nov 19, 2011 at 3:52 am
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:27 am

Not sure why you would discount deals like 12500 J upgradios to PEK for example? Compared to 20K MFU it looks like a January sale!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:38 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
MIA BOG, MIA CCS, MIA MDE, MIA CLO, MIA GYE, MIA UIO
Avios = 20,000 RT
AAdvantage = 30,000RT
LANPASS = 48,000kms RT (32,000 miles)

MIA LIM
Avios = 25,000 RT
AAdvantage = 30,000 RT

BOG LIM
Avios = 20,000 RT
AAdvantage = 30,000 RT
LANPASS = 28,000kms (17,500 miles)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
Not sure why you would discount deals like 12500 J upgradios to PEK for example? Compared to 20K MFU it looks like a January sale!
I'm not. There was a question mark at the end of my post.

So the LHR-PEK has gone down to 50K in J. I added it. Any more?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I'm not. There was a question mark at the end of my post.

So the LHR-PEK has gone down to 50K in J. I added it. Any more?
NRT/HND down from 80k to 60k (whilst, conversely, earning more TPs due to the 6000+ miles rule)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This topic is now a "collective thread" dealing with good value redemptions.
Your contributions would be most welcome!

LTN Phobia
Moderatorette: BA Forum
Old Nov 19, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL
My home route has improved tremendously.

LUX-LHR mileage has stayed the same, but CE can now be had for PCPM 9K miles+EUR135, as opposed to 9K+EUR230 before. Not bad when a normal, (non-Saturday stay,) CE ticket runs almost EUR1,000.

Truth be told, while I wish the segments weren't being counted with longhaul travel, LUX-East Coast USA still goes down by 2K in J, and 12K in F.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
My so has unfortunately paid for a one-way flight LHR-MUN for about £120 in Y, as it is currently available for 9,000 miles +£17 in J!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bsegreto
Does anyone know a way to search specifically for OW flights that are marketed as direct but have a stop on the way their final destination (but keep the same flight number)???

I am guessing there are not that many, I can only identify two out of my home airport.

The reason I ask - these routes get very very favorable pricing in Avios miles. I could not find a discussion about this anywhere else...

Please PM me if you have a way to identify these "continuation" or direct with a stop flights. Thanks!
I'm not with you on this one.

Even if a flight does stop along the way it shouldn't make any difference to the amount of miles needed for the final destination.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Originally Posted by bsegreto
Does anyone know a way to search specifically for OW flights that are marketed as direct but have a stop on the way their final destination (but keep the same flight number)???

I am guessing there are not that many, I can only identify two out of my home airport.

The reason I ask - these routes get very very favorable pricing in Avios miles. I could not find a discussion about this anywhere else...

Please PM me if you have a way to identify these "continuation" or direct with a stop flights. Thanks!
I'm not with you on this one.

Even if a flight does stop along the way it shouldn't make any difference to the amount of miles needed for the final destination.
If a flight with a single flight number operates AAA-BBB-CCC, and the traveler books it as AAA-CCC, the cost in Avios points will be based on the AAA-CCC distance as a single segment. If the traveler has to fly AAA-BBB on one flight, and then take a connecting flight BBB-CCC, Avios will charge for each segment separately. (I believe that the only exception to this is for an intra-U.K. connection.)
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

If a flight with a single flight number operates AAA-BBB-CCC, and the traveler books it as AAA-CCC, the cost in Avios points will be based on the AAA-CCC distance as a single segment. If the traveler has to fly AAA-BBB on one flight, and then take a connecting flight BBB-CCC, Avios will charge for each segment separately. (I believe that the only exception to this is for an intra-U.K. connection.)
Yes I know.....so I see no reason why he is asking the question about finding direct flights with a stop.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes I know.....so I see no reason why he is asking the question about finding direct flights with a stop.
I suspect that (s)he is asking about how to find direct flights (either nonstop or through) -- rather than connecting flights -- and just phrased the question inartfully. But you're absolutely right: a "through" flight that makes an intermediate stop should price the same as a nonstop for Avios purposes.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:54 am

I suspect that (s)he is asking about how to find direct flights (either nonstop or through) -- rather than connecting flights -- and just phrased the question inartfully. But you're absolutely right: a "through" flight that makes an intermediate stop should price the same as a nonstop for Avios purposes.
Maybe he thinks he can get a free stopover on one stop flights.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 9:51 am

I know people sometimes like to jump to Turks and Caicos before or after cruises. MIA-PLS can be an expensive flight, but never worth 17.5k AA miles. 4500 Avios.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:25 am

Maybe he thinks he can get a free stopover on one stop flights.
I don't think there will be free stop overs.

The pricing for these through flights can be better because it is charged as a direct flight. Guy1976 sees what I'm trying to get at..

Try IAH-MIA-LIR. Get the right flight it saves about 5k Avios each way. No segment pricing and the price of the flight in Avios is based on the number of miles a direct IAH-LIR flight would be, it ignores the extra miles to go to MIA.

Also, simple direct flights are easy to find. These one stop flights that are still considered direct are harder to find. AA flies direct from IAH to DFW, MIA and ORD....but flies the direct with a stop to a couple places I never would have thought to look at for Avios miles because I assumed there would be a +4500 segment.

Last edited by bsegreto; Nov 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.