Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A pretty accurate summary from the pointsguy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: OneW(Gold) Virgin(Gold) StarA(Hons) Hilton(Diam) ICG(Plat) Marriott(Gold) Amex Cent

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/11/brit...an-i-expected/
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Not that accurate. It depends entirely on your POV.

As a non-American, his commentary about more confusing and less valuable seem way off base.

So yeah, it's a blog, he blogs his own view point. And people will either agree or disagree - that does not make what he is saying accurate.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Jenbel

As a non-American, his commentary about more confusing and less valuable seem way off base.

So yeah, it's a blog, he blogs his own view point. And people will either agree or disagree - that does not make what he is saying accurate.
funny, this is editted from your original post but it does not note that it has been editted.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
DTW-ORD-LHR-FCO is not a great example: "many more miles to fly" is actually 32k versus 30k in Y. Since they don't offer F/J on the first leg an "F" trip (Y/F/J) is actually less: 79.5k vs 90k. And "J" (Y/J/J) is 59.5k vs 60k.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mkjr
funny, this is editted from your original post but it does not note that it has been editted.
The forum software does not note any edits within 5 minutes of first posting.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Handy feature - it means spelling errors can be easily edited
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Handy feature - it means spelling errors can be easily edited
Oh yes they can. As can all the extra words I accidently winging yanks leave in my posts during edits to correct my appauling grammer.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards

^

Exactly. I had loads of "benefits" as an AA member that were made useless to me (and other non USA residents) when AA changed its programme several years ago. I didn't have a blog to complain at the time. I do read the fine print and know that they are within their right to change T&Cs at anytime. Nothing stays the same forever.

I think Avios could be the forerunner to a global oneworld frequent flyer programme. Each airline will tweak their own ones until eventually they'll be mixed into one. Just wait till then!

Last edited by dddc; Nov 17, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
As someone else said, the 5 minute post period allows one to amend posts - if for example one has a particularly insightful thought after one has already posted... or in my case, I think 'oh yeah and that as well'

And yes, it does also let you go back in and allow yourself to correct typos, if you spot them and feel so inclined.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
It's certainly confusing from my perspective. Let me give you an example: I potentially want to get from Austin to Rome next year, which I can do in several ways according to availability.

BA used to have a blanket price from North America to Europe 2. AA still has a blanket price from the US to Europe.

With the new BA system the cost is sensitive to routing, which includes (by no means exhaustive):

AUS-DFW-LHR-FCO

AUS-ORD-LHR-FCO

AUS-JFK-LHR-FCO

AUS-DFW-MAD-FCO

AUS-JFK-FCO

well, I'm sure you're getting the picture by now. The "easier way" BA were promising is in fact very confusing, and seems to stem from BA's London-centric approach that really does not understand hub & spoke operations.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Paralytic
you learn something new every day. thx.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
It's certainly confusing from my perspective. Let me give you an example: I potentially want to get from Austin to Rome next year, which I can do in several ways according to availability.

BA used to have a blanket price from North America to Europe 2. AA still has a blanket price from the US to Europe.

With the new BA system the cost is sensitive to routing, which includes (by no means exhaustive):

AUS-DFW-LHR-FCO

AUS-ORD-LHR-FCO

AUS-JFK-LHR-FCO

AUS-DFW-MAD-FCO

AUS-JFK-FCO

well, I'm sure you're getting the picture by now. The "easier way" BA were promising is in fact very confusing, and seems to stem from BA's London-centric approach that really does not understand hub & spoke operations.
Yes, that's why I said the statement about accuracy wasn't accurate. Whether you agree or disagree with the blog will depend on (pretty much) where you are based. So to me, the commentary is not accurate - to you it is. But if we cannot agree it is accuate, then it isn't accurate.

I do understand that not everyone sees the changes in the way I do - unlike the OP.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:52 am

Article does a better job than BA of explaining it, I think.

Living in NA and not in a major hub I'm done with BA now, cashing out the remaining flights I have available and that's all she wrote I guess.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Yes, that's why I said the statement about accuracy wasn't accurate. Whether you agree or disagree with the blog will depend on (pretty much) where you are based. So to me, the commentary is not accurate - to you it is. But if we cannot agree it is accuate, then it isn't accurate.

I do understand that not everyone sees the changes in the way I do - unlike the OP.
I don't understand what it has to do with where you are based. It has to do with where you'd like to fly. The complications are just the same in reverse:

If based in FCO and wanting to visit Austin:

FCO-LHR-DFW-AUS

FCO-LHR-ORD-AUS

FCO-LHR-JFK-AUS

FCO-MAD-DFW-AUS

FCO-JFK-AUS

EVEN if based in the center of the universe:

LHR-DFW-AUS

LHR-ORD-AUS

LHR-JFK-AUS

LHR-LAX-DFW-AUS

The propensity of all the LHR based flyers on here to act like the changes are no big deal because they reside in the UK, where they feel BA SHOULD be focusing their program, are getting a bit sickening. It has nothing to do with where you are based....the vast majority of us fly round-trip so the changes are 100% about where you want to go to use your miles.

I'm completely happy for those of you that only ever planned to use your miles on routes that have not been increased in cost...and equally happy for those that can find a way to squeeze more value out of the changes by capitalising on things like the short hall awards. I will certainly adjust my ways to make the most of the new program.

HOWEVER, it's a bit insensitive to completely dismiss the flyers that save (often for years) to once in their life enjoy a long-haul flight in F - only to be told overnight they need 10%, 20%....etc MORE miles. Yeah, it's in BA's Ts&Cs that they can do it, but it doesn't make it any less crappy.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
The propensity of all the LHR based flyers on here to act like the changes are no big deal because they reside in the UK, where they feel BA SHOULD be focusing their program, are getting a bit sickening.
Why sickening? Why should people who are pleased with the changes be expected to complain about them just because others in another country are unhappy?

BA is a British company.

PS - I have amended this post because I didn't put into words what my head was saying. Frankly I see little point in amending this however as my post has been continually re-posted. As said elsewhere I will not post again in this thread as I have no desire to be beaten up emotionally or personally.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Nov 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.