Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Collective Complaints, Rants and Gripes Thread about Avios/BAEC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collective Complaints, Rants and Gripes Thread about Avios/BAEC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:25 pm

To add, that's not the only reason I've switched. I've flown all classes in BA, and with a few exceptions, have found their staff slightly "off" despite (or maybe due to) my treating them with cordial respect and patience, always saying please, thank you, and "when you have a moment".

That's not been my experience with staff on other airlines, who actually seem pleased to have me on board.

The Avios thing is merely the last straw.

KARFA, thanks for advice, yes, I am aware it's nothing to get worked up about, as I said, it's trivial in the great scheme of things (and if we care about climate change we shouldn't be "frequent flyers" even if we carbon offset, which I do) but the whole purpose of the thread is to let people share their frustrations about an aspect of BA's customer service.

It is the principle of being promised something and not having that promise honoured, and receiving poor response from customer services. I have had other frustrations with the Avios programme when booking reward flights and hotels. Yes, I got over them, but they shouldn't have happened.

BA do say to wait up to 40 working days (8 weeks or thereabouts allowing for bank holidays) but should be able to trace the transaction. Otherwise, why take my EC number at point of sale?

I probably will buy the extra 1000 miles just to round it up to a useable figure. I don't shop at Tesco.

I'm hardly cutting off my nose to spite my face, btw, my Virgin Upper Class flight yesterday was lovely :-)

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 26, 2014 at 4:21 am Reason: Posts made in quick succession merged
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi piccadilly. Ok, fair enough now you have said you have had problems with cc on flights and other avios problems I appreciate why you are deciding not to fly BA anymore. I though initially it seemed a bit over the top based on your first post for effectively Ł3 worth of avios, but understandable now.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Regarding the Avios, it's possible that the BAEC number was entered incorrectly at the time of sale. It's best if you retained the receipt until the transaction appears on your account. I had a missing Avios from onboard purchase and I could only claim the missing Avios because I had the proof of purchase. It's a bit like not being able to return a product for refund without the receipt, I'm afraid.

Regarding the crew, it sounds like you have been rather unlucky. Sorry to hear that.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome piccadilly

Originally Posted by piccadilly
Thank you for listening.
And thank you for contributing piccadilly, welcome to the British Airways forum on Flyertalk, it's good to see you here. There are other ways to get a few Avios, but surely the answer is to simply fax in your credit card statement to Suffolk: it may be that they asked for the receipt, but my view is that actually the credit card statement is better proof of payment than the receipt. I'd be very surprised if they turned you down. Equally you can get a few extra Avios via hotels, car bookings, iTunes, John Lewis etc.

Having said that, it could never be the case that BA would work for every traveller. I only get to travel Virgin Atlantic when BA pay me to use them (irrops, in other words), and I sulk for every second of flight, it really isn't my style at all. But Virgin has plenty of loyal fans, and BA would be a lot worse if there wasn't for that (thin) veneer of competition on their main cash cow.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:05 am

I am finding it impossible to resolve a missing points issue with BA. Since December last year I have completed 6 flights with AS - some even in conjunction with BA on a through ticket LHR-SEA-PSC and the points are just not being awarded. I submitted a web form almost a week ago and have today finally received a response saying my reservations cannot be found, despite providing ticket numbers and flight details twice already. The email asks me to provide the ticket numbers again but the email also says that replies to this email will not be read. So how do I reply with the information requested? I have called and asked for an email address to send this to (as a web site search yields no such contact details) and on the phone I was given a fax number. A fax number! What decade are we in? I don't know anyone who has owned a fax machine since the 1990s. I was told there is no email address for BAEC. I refuse to believe this.

I made the bookings electronically. I paid electronically. The tickets were issued electronically. I checked in electronically. Why are BAEC so scared of providing me with electronic contact details? Are they scared it will make it too easy for people to complain?

In some cases, the flights where points have not been awarded were part of a return ticket and points for the outbound have been awarded but not the inbound or vice versa. The email I received suggested the BAEC card may not have been added correctly but this is not the case. The card number is on every boarding pass.

I have been trying to resolve this for over a month but BAEC seem unwilling to assist.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by piccadilly

I could buy 1000 miles to get me to the 15,000 mark, and might do that, but as the OP says ... I feel distaste towards BA. Surely the point of the EC is to reward customers and make them feel good, not cheap and foolish for pursuing a very small matter (in the great scheme of things).
You can very easily earn a few hundred avios for free through Avios Suitcase.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, Sinnystar74!
Originally Posted by Sinnystar74
I submitted a web form almost a week ago and have today finally received a response saying my reservations cannot be found, despite providing ticket numbers and flight details twice already. The email asks me to provide the ticket numbers again but the email also says that replies to this email will not be read. So how do I reply with the information requested?
The email you have received should have a case reference number. IIRC, what you need to do is to use the webform again, inserting the case reference number into the appropriate field on the form.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Sinnystar74

Originally Posted by Sinnystar74
A fax number! What decade are we in? I don't know anyone who has owned a fax machine since the 1990s. I was told there is no email address for BAEC. I refuse to believe this.
It's all too believeable, actually. Now if you ring someone up just occasionally they may let slip an email address, otherwise only the top tier of BA's elites get access to an email address. I give it another year before they give up on this, the reason for this is that actually faxes allow it to be faxinated on to an internal email process with some intelligence and logging technology attached.

There are online fax software and services available, and your email provider may to email2fax or something similar; but frankly here's the best answer: on your next hotel visit get Reception to do it for you, it may seem a bit antediluvian but actually much of the travel trade is still faxing each other. If you fax it with your log reference, give it a week, ring again, within 2 weeks from the fax all will be well.

But welcome to Flyertalk Sinnystar74, welcome to the British Airways forum, may we see plenty more of you, and your TPs post smoothly from here on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.