Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A look at BA Avios' new distance-based award chart

A look at BA Avios' new distance-based award chart

Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Correct: two segments, regardless of whether the DFW transit is a stopover or a mere connection.
Thank you !!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by drbobguy
This piqued my curiosity, so I just randomly tried a trip a week from now with a one day turnaround NYC-Montreal and I got:

Expedia.com - $689 (LGA) on US
AA.com - $1,010.88 (cheapest for the given dates)
BA.com - 9000 avios + $57.09
BA.com - 4500 avios + $127.09

That gives 10.6cpm and 19.6 cpm, respectively (based on the AA price) or 7cpm and 15cpm (based on Expedia prices).

Of course this is an extreme example as the flights are on Wed/Thu and Thursday is Thanksgiving, but let's hope these kinds of redemptions remain a good value. The Avios+money option really does seem pretty great for certain conditions.

Delta has been my go-to carrier for good last-minute availability but combined with Avios points for short-haul flights this could be an even better tool in our miles arsenal.
I think the trick is going to be getting flights like these regularly. If the ticket prices are high, then generally there won't be award ticket availability, so these "values" probably won't be as frequent as some hope. On the other hand, since you actually got BA.com to price these, then AA is indeed offering Avios users some great bargains.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: Lotz
Connection Penalty Worst Aspect

OK go to a mileage-based formula. But DO NOT add 9000 miles RT to rewards where people have to involuntarily make connections !
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by tassojunior
OK go to a mileage-based formula. But DO NOT add 9000 miles RT to rewards where people have to involuntarily make connections !
It appears to be the product of London-centric rules created by London-centric people applied to a hub & spoke operation like AA's which they don't really understand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.