FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1280487-booking-alaska-airlines-avios.html)

Soros Nov 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

Hello!

Can I book AS flights using Avios? It doesn't seem like I can find AS availability on BA.com. Do I need to call the call center? Will they waive the fee?

Thank you!

OPebble Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

I have done it using BA miles but had to call. I had to go to Alaska's web site to check flight times and as far as I can remember there was no fee but a) I am gold and b) I was routing LHR > YVR > SEA.

jumpdogjump Nov 16, 2011 12:23 am

Per BA call center rep 2 days ago 'Alaska Airlines availability will never show on the website as the aren't a Oneworld partner' - Of course AA added AS awards online last week...

AMRivlin Nov 16, 2011 7:11 pm

So why is it that we have to pay the 30Tax for AS bookings?

SanDiego1K Nov 18, 2011 11:06 am

How many Avios does it take to fly from San Diego to Cabo? Great Circle Mapper shows it as 802 miles. Should I be able to find that information on the BA website?

BA Executive Club Nov 18, 2011 11:11 am

You can book AS through your local service centre - you cannot current book online. I am working on a solution for you to retrieve pricing for this online - in the interim your local service centre will be able to provide this info for you

Regards

Nicci

SanDiego1K Nov 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Nicci, thank you very much.

I called and successfully booked. Here are the details for everyone's benefit:

AS award, SAN-SJD RT, 802 miles, coach, nonstop flight

If booked on AS:
35K miles RT, $77 fees

If booked on BA:
15K miles RT, $110 fees, $25 phone booking fee

Using BA avios saves 20K miles and costs $58 more per ticket.

I don't know these fees on AS, but was given these fees for Avios.
$65 to cancel or change dates on phone
$40 to cancel or change dates online

All in all, this is a sweet spot for Avios as long as I am firmly committed to my dates.

pinkcat Nov 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 17475802)

All in all, this is a sweet spot for Avios as long as I am firmly committed to my dates.

Absolutley, it has opened up a whole new place to visit

T8191 Nov 18, 2011 12:44 pm

My dear daughter [a Blue :td:] flies BA to the US, and then links somewhere on to AS to go to KGPI [Glacier Park International Airport :D :D :D ] to go riding in Montana. Having looked at GPI on Google Earth, I can confirm it has some runway ;)

Anyway, at this rate she may be Bronze ^

If, of course, in early middle age, she can actually manage the bookings.
A couple of months ago she successfully booked the wrong Hotel in Greater DC. Kids, eh?

Blenz101 Nov 20, 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club (Post 17475454)
You can book AS through your local service centre - you cannot current book online. I am working on a solution for you to retrieve pricing for this online - in the interim your local service centre will be able to provide this info for you

Regards

Nicci

Does anyone here know how to calculate the cost of awards without calling.

I called the UK BAEC to calculate an award from YVR to SFO and am convinced the pricing I was given was wrong.

I would need to connect as follows YVR-SEA-SFO... I was told this would be priced YVR-SEA @ 30k and then ANOTHER 35k for the SEA-SFO.

I'm pretty sure the agent used the one world chart (multiple carriers) to calculate but am not convinced this is the correct chart or the adding together of sectors in this way is correct either.

guv1976 Nov 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Blenz101

Originally Posted by BA Executive Club (Post 17475454)

Regards

Nicci

Does anyone here know how to calculate the cost of awards without calling.

I called the UK BAEC to calculate an award from YVR to SFO and am convinced the pricing I was given was wrong.

I would need to connect as follows YVR-SEA-SFO... I was told this would be priced YVR-SEA @ 30k and then ANOTHER 35k for the SEA-SFO.

I'm pretty sure the agent used the one world chart (multiple carriers) to calculate but am not convinced this is the correct chart or the adding together of sectors in this way is correct either.

Assuming that standard Avios pricing applies to redemptions on AS, YVR-SEA should cost 4,500 Avios one way in Coach, and SEA-SFO should cost 7,500 Avios one way in Coach.

Of course, Amtrak is an option for either or both segments. :)

Blenz101 Nov 21, 2011 12:47 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 17486285)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Assuming that standard Avios pricing applies to redemptions on AS, YVR-SEA should cost 4,500 Avios one way in Coach, and SEA-SFO should cost 7,500 Avios one way in Coach.

Thanks, but....

It's the definition of standard pricing I am trying to locate - there seems to be no table for non-Oneworld carriers and AS routes don't show in the calculator on BA.com.

I'm not aware that Avios can be redeemed on Amtrak - plus the single daily 0530 departure from Vancouver (arrival from 0430 for customs) makes the train an unatractive option.

guv1976 Nov 21, 2011 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Blenz101

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 17486285)

Thanks, but....

It's the definition of standard pricing I am trying to locate - there seems to be no table for non-Oneworld carriers and AS routes don't show in the calculator on BA.com.

I'm not aware that Avios can be redeemed on Amtrak - plus the single daily 0530 departure from Vancouver (arrival from 0430 for customs) makes the train an unatractive option.

No, you cannot redeem Avios for Amtrak travel; you would have to pay cash for Amtrak travel, unless you have CO or UA miles.

Based on post #7 in this thread, it appears that the regular, distance-based Avios redemption table applies to AS award bookings. Suggest you call BAEC and ask them to price just YVR-SEA as a one-way, and see what they come up with.

leishmaniac Nov 23, 2011 6:30 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 17489524)

Based on post #7 in this thread, it appears that the regular, distance-based Avios redemption table applies to AS award bookings. Suggest you call BAEC and ask them to price just YVR-SEA as a one-way, and see what they come up with.

SEA-YVR is 4,500 OW, per BAEC agent. Unfortunately, I am still unable to book online, though both telephone and email agents say that it is possible.

PeteTheBrit Nov 23, 2011 12:52 pm

Would anyone have any idea what SEA-ANC would be in Avios?