Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Joeykins

AS is a long standing BA partner and, as of 31st March 2021, a full member of oneworld. You can book AS flights using your Avios through BA: prior to AS joining oneworld this was only possible on the phone through your local service centre, but it is now possible to book online with some caveats, specifically that at this time (August 2022) it's not possible to retrieve the AS PNR via ba.com - the chat function on alaskaair.com is staffed by helpful and responsive agents though who can get your AS PNR issued quickly. You can book flights up to 330 days in advance.

It has been reported that flights operated by Skywest "Skywest operating as Alaska Airlines" for flights like SEA-SLO are not possible to book with Avios. The system may initially allow agents to grab inventory but then will send back an error message when going further even with the telephone booking.

Avios Cost
The cost should be in line with the normal BA reward price banding. To get an idea of what your flight may cost check the distance with the BAEC flight calculator or using gcmap, and then have a look at the avios banding here.

Note that all AS flights (just like any other non-BA flights) are priced at the peak avios rates. Also note that from 2 February 2016, redemption rates for travel on American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, and TAM will start at 7,500 Avios rather than 4,500 Avios, effectively pricing Distance Band 1 flights as Band 2.

If the flight includes a number of stops under the same flight number then the avios charge is for a non-stop flight from the departure point to the destination. For example, for Seattle to Juneau AS65 the service makes three stops enroute. However, the avios rate charged is as if it were non-stop Seattle to Juneau flight (7,500 avios) and not the avios total for four segments.

Taxes, Fees, and Charges
As with other non-BA reward bookings you need to pay the taxes, fees, and charges. You should be able to predict what this will be by having a look at the taxes, fees, and charges on the AS website or on itamatrix.

BA policy is to charge Ł15/US$25 for offline award tickets but there has been consistent and sustained reports for years of agents waiving fees. As recently as 1/2017, there have been confirmatory reports that the telephone fee has been consistently waived. When initially calling the call center let your first sentence be, "Can you help me with an Alaska booking that I cannot complete online." The agents have all proactively waived fees in every circumstance. If they do not, HUCA (hang up and call again - or ask supervisor to waive)

Can I Check Reward Availability Online?
You can attempt to make a booking on ba.com and this should at least show Alaska mainline routes. You can also check AA website and the AS website. If AS reward flights show as available on aa.com, then they should be bookable with BA using avios. Check MileSAAver availability not AAnytime availability. AA may be better to check as this should show partner reward availability.

Checked Bags?
AS charges for checked bags on all economy fares, however oneworld ruby & sapphire members are entitled to 2 free bags and emerald members to 3 free bags. Note that oneworld elite baggage allowance is only applied to the passenger with the elite status: 1 GCH and 3 blue members on the same booking only provides 3 bags free, not 12. See the baggage information here. Note that you can only add bags at OLCI, at the airport, or on the phone no earlier than 24 hrs before the flight. Baggage fees are also waived for Alaska Credit Card holders and up to 6 companions on the same booking.

Redemptions in First include 2 checked bags per passenger as the base entitlement.

oneworld Benefits?
AS joined oneworld on 31st March 2021: priority check-in, priority boarding, baggage allowance* and lounge access for passengers with status all apply per the normal oneworld/AS policies. Alaska's table is here.
(* see the Checked Bags question above for an important detail)

Does the 24 hour Cooling Off Period Apply?
Yes it does. However, you must cancel by phone - it is not possible to do it online. Miles are refunded immediately into your Avios account, taxes (if returned) just take a few days to be credited.

Can I Amend the Booking?
Yes, subject to fees and reward availability on the flight you want to move to. You need to do it on the phone. Fees (both the offline fee and change fee) are shown here.
Because of the fee structure of BA Avios - it is often beneficial to book two one ways instead of one roundtrip if you are unsure about either your departure or return dates.

Can I Cancel the Booking?
Yes you may subject to the usual fees here Fees (both the offline fee and change fee) are shown here. If the taxes, fees, and charges you paid were less than the cancellation fee due then you simply forfeit the taxes and fees paid and that serves as your effective cancellation fee. If taxes, fees, and charges you paid were more than the cancellation fee then you would pay the cancellation fee USD55 but get back your taxes in full as well as your miles. (Rather they debit USD55 from your taxes and fees and return to you the balance remaining to your form of payment.)

Can I SDC Same Day Confirm on an AS Avios Ticket?
Yes, AS Avios tickets are eligible for AS same day confirmed change benefits as detailed on the AS website. If AS agent tells you differently HUCA. But AS website should allow you to do this regardless.

Are AS Avios tickets upgradeable with cash?
Yes, AS Avios tickets can be upgraded by paying a fee at 24hr check in, "U" inventory allowance, space available. Please note upgraded U fare class tickets are not eligible for lounge access.

Do AS Elite Benefits apply to AS Avios tickets?
Yes, if you are AS MVP Gold for instance your AS Avios ticket is eligible for Complimentary Upgrades and as long as your AS FFN is in the reservation, you will be automatically added to the AS complimentary upgrade list (AS in 12/05/16 changed policy to allow complimentary upgrades to apply to award tickets - including Avios awards) Gold Guest Upgrades, however, have never been allowed to be applied to AS Avios tickets.

Can I book Virgin America flights now using avios?
As of 25 April 2018, Virgin America no longer exists as far as reservations systems are concerned. Former VX flights are now AS flights and can be booked with Avios.

Print Wikipost

Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mustardketchup
Please correct me if I am wrong.

In order to book AS award tixs using Avios, the steps are:

* search super saver availability on AS website
* call in BA and feed availability to BA agent
* ask to put a hold on the reservation and then transfer UR points to BA
* call back BA and confirm booking

Q: Can I put hold on the reservation via the BA agent? Cos' I would like to transfer UR points to BA to book, but do not want to do so before confirming the booking.

Also how do I know if the AS award showing on AS website is super saver availability? It just shows Coach only?

Are my steps correct?

I tired searching AS on BA website but nothing is showing up for SEA - LAS.

Please advice. Thanks!
BA will not hold rewards.

I'm not sure what you mean by it just shows coach. It will show the number of miles needed. For SEA-LAS on alaskaair.com, click on use miles and look for the awards that are 12,500 miles each way, that is a super saver.
Code:
Super Saver Coach        12,500                25,000
ba.com will not show AS award availability.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, BA, UR
So if BA agents doesn't allow holds on award reservations, I would have to transfer UR first to BA, before confirming, seems risky.

Hmm...but via BA website I remember putting holds on awards tixs and then transfer UR to Avios.

If BA website allows holds, shouldn't the agents follow suit?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by mustardketchup
So if BA agents doesn't allow holds on award reservations, I would have to transfer UR first to BA, before confirming, seems risky.

Hmm...but via BA website I remember putting holds on awards tixs and then transfer UR to Avios.

If BA website allows holds, shouldn't the agents follow suit?
I remember reading that BA agents used to hold reward seats on AS, but don't anymore. Don't quote me on that though, as this could be misinformation.

When I booked an award on AS through BA, I remember the agent saying, "And, good, yes, you have enough points for that reservation", so I'd say that you definitely cannot do any holds over the phone. But BA agents seem to have their own version of what their policies are, at times.

The RBC Avion and Amex MR bonus transfers to BA in Canada make it really easy to get lots of Avios quickly! Especially with the Amex Gold card (the 50% bonus is on right now!), where you get 2 MRs for every dollar on grocery, gas, drug store and travel - that's 3% back on every dollar for those Amex purchases I make with the bonus! What a wicked deal!!! Hawaii, here I come...well, in 2014...
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
Has Alaska changed how they classify reward seats?

It used to be super-saver that would work with Avios. Now there are 3 levels of coach seats when searching with miles. There are also multiple mileage levels for each reward level. AN example.....SEA-PHX has either 12,500 or 20,000 miles under the coach tab. Can either of these fares be booked with Avios or only the 12,500 award?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dqdude

It used to be super-saver that would work with Avios. Now there are 3 levels of coach seats when searching with miles. There are also multiple mileage levels for each reward level. AN example.....SEA-PHX has either 12,500 or 20,000 miles under the coach tab. Can either of these fares be booked with Avios or only the 12,500 award?
No.

From alaskaair.com:
Super Saver Award:
Super Saver Awards offer coach or First Class travel at lower mileage levels, are subject to seating limitations, and may not be available on all flights.

Choice Award:
Choice Awards offer coach travel at slightly higher mileage levels, but with much greater availability than Super Saver Awards.

Full Flex Award:
Full Flex Awards offer maximum flexibility for coach or First Class and allow travel without seating or date limitations.
Code:
Continental U.S. and Canada Awards
Award Type                   One Way              Round Trip
Super Saver Coach            12,500               25,000
Old Apr 3, 2013, 4:39 pm

I see what you mean (there are 'coach' flights with both 12.5K one-way and 20K one way redemption levels). The lowest award is always super saver - so in this case, only the flights with 12.5K have super saver available.

If you do a view by 'calendar' rather than schedule, you can get a monthly overview to see the lowest award/super saver (if you don't already know what that is in advance) which would be the ones in green, which are the only ones that can be booked with Avios. Unfortunately, you cannot see single segment flights this way, which I like to see to determine how many BA Avios it will cost me for that super saver flight.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Or you could just search for AS flights at aa.com: if an AS award seat appears on aa.com, it is a SuperSaver seat, and should be bookable with Avios.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've been doing a number of AS award redemptions to try to escape the terrible Pacific NW winter and I have found that they basically make a call about a week prior to most flights to sell most of the remaining seats via low level awards. This winds up being an incredible deal, because the paid seats are quite pricey at this point, but both first and economy class tickets are available for the low level. It's not on all flights, but has worked out well for us for some last minute trips...

Also, if you plan in advance and use a AMEX MR to Avios bonus offer, you can really wind up with a good redemption value.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
Hey Stephem...

I've been doing the same thing...However I have been trying to book travel out a few weeks with little luck lately.

Today I was looking at booking a seat SEA-PHX in mid October and there are virtually no super saver fares available. It seems the SS inventory has been shrinking.

Where have you been going?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Stephem...

I've been doing the same thing...However I have been trying to book travel out a few weeks with little luck lately.

Today I was looking at booking a seat SEA-PHX in mid October and there are virtually no super saver fares available. It seems the SS inventory has been shrinking.

From looking at alaskaair.com I see at least 2 supersaver tickets (12.5K) available SEA-PHX for every day in October except the 17th and 18th. PHX-SEA has at least 2 supersaver seats available (12.5K) everyday in October other than the 20th.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
From looking at alaskaair.com I see at least 2 supersaver tickets (12.5K) available SEA-PHX for every day in October except the 17th and 18th. PHX-SEA has at least 2 supersaver seats available (12.5K) everyday in October other than the 20th.
Yes, but is it single segment super saver? It's fairly worthless, otherwise...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Cabo, San Diego and LA/Palm Springs area.

I looked for PHX/LAS this last month and that is somewhere they hardly have a single seat open for sale on weekend flights.

I still see great SS availability on many routes, just found SEA-LAX around Thanksgiving for 4 pax. At only 15k per ticket, those are a decent value given the cash price. But it's the first year that I see nothing for Cabo at Christmas time, and we started looking early. There are definitely routes where AS and others have cut capacity to where they can really demand cash. Cabo next December is over $900 RT in economy and no SS awards to be seen.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokee
Yes, but is it single segment super saver? It's fairly worthless, otherwise...
As I said in the post you quoted, at least 2 seats available traveling together everyday except for two days SEA-PHX and one day PHX-SEA. I'm not sure what you mean about single segment supersaver, the post I was replying to was commenting on SEA-PHX having no availability.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
As I said in the post you quoted, at least 2 seats available traveling together everyday except for two days SEA-PHX and one day PHX-SEA. I'm not sure what you mean about single segment supersaver, the post I was replying to was commenting on SEA-PHX having no availability.
True, but I assumed that the availabilty that dqdude searched and could not find was likely single segment (direct) super saver, since they typically require less avios and are the SS flights that are hard to fnd.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:05 pm

How do avois work for short-haul flights on as? Looking to get some interior flights to fairbanks and barrow that run 5k and 7.5 AS miles. Anyone done this before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.