Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mdj1
If you have it in writing then tell them you will have to make an official complaint to the FSB ...
Blimey, isn't that going a bit over the top?

(I think it would be the FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service).)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:15 am

May I ask you all when these Avios are posting to your account in relation to statement date?

Without applying, I know I have almost certainly been excepted for this card via a call from my local Lloyds branch manager the other day informing that when I opened a current account with them last year (solely for 15,000 Avios), I asked him to advise me when I would be eligible for this card. He informed that I now was, and I could apply directly or online.

I have almost zero spend to put on this, focusing on triggering my PP+ 241. However it seems a waste to miss out on 12.5 avios to the £ so I was wondering if there is the oppourtunity to benefit through a cheeky fully flex tix of similar

*On a seperate note, I did not ask my Bank Manager to inform me when I would be eligible for this card, I merely enquired. I hope he did not run a credit check to make a decision on this, I asked him and he said my eligibility was based solely on how I managed my Avios Current Account.

Seems odd that this phone call was the morning after i had cancelled an AMEX SPG card the night before. Little worried as I understand frequnt credit checks being ran on a person can be detrimental
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by dddc
Am doing a bathroom refurb at the moment and I don't think 1 shop I've been in or looked at online accepts Amex.
Keep looking. I didn't think that any eye laser clinics took it either (the ones I was look at didn't anyway) until my son told me was having his done at Optical Express and they do. Luckily I was at the clinic when he (or rather me ) paid.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by britbronco22
I've been trying to bring forward any spending I have panned to get it within my bonus period.
If I know I have some costs later in the year, but can't bring forward, I'm thinking I could book some flexible tickets now, in equal value to my future real spend, and then get them refunded when the real spend occurs.
Anyone see anything wrong with doing this?
I would have thought that the refund would trigger a backdated Avios grab from your account and then the real spend would just earn Avios at the basic rate. But who knows; with Lloyds involved anything could happen.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Hmmm... I've just spoken to Lloyds TSB about the non posting of the 10x bonus. They passed me onto Avios.

The Avios agent said that the 10x bonus will post with the 4th Months statement. I said that I'd got 'friends' who's points had already posted, but he couldn't explain that.

He said that this information is in the T&C's on the website.

ETA - The T&C's actually state - 'Bonus Avios points will show in the customer's Avios account within 30 days of receiving their first credit card statement detailing the Eligible spend.'

So, looks like he was talking rubbish.

Last edited by DYKWIA; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:15 am
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Better hurry up and get those bonus miles before Lloyds disappear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17151214

Ok, maybe I added a little bit to the real story
I hope they go (')(')'s up!

I was promised a call back today from a senior credit card manager, but guess what? They didn't call.

I'll give them until Monday, if they haven't responded by then I'm going to write a letter of complaint, If I still don't get what I want (plus something extra for upsetting me like this). I'm going to move all my personal/business banking away from them.

I'll never fly Lloyds again!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by SteveF
I would have thought that the refund would trigger a backdated Avios grab from your account and then the real spend would just earn Avios at the basic rate. But who knows; with Lloyds involved anything could happen.
Very unlikely this would happen imo, the bonus miles are posted separately.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by mdj1
If you have it in writing then tell them you will have to make an official complaint to the FSB, (they don't like it it costs them money)
Do you mean the FOS?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Lloyds Avios Premier Rip-Off Card

Firstly some background…

I had an original air miles card which I never actually used and cancelled at least 2 years prior to this.

I have a mortgage with C+G through Lloyds, 2 x business accounts for different companies with Lloyds, personal accounts with Lloyds, and even a CTF with Lloyds for Little Miss P.

Signed up for offer on Lloyds website, when new Avios cards were first announced with a 10,000 bonus for spending £500 per month in first 3 months.

2 days later Avios.com released better offer.

Called to find out if I could switch to the other offer and was told that, no I could only have the 10,000 bonus offer because that was what I signed up for and there was nothing they could do.

Called again a few days later to query whether spend periods were in line with statement dates or if they were different. Was told that my spend target dates were not in line with statement periods

Called to confirm my spend level after 2 months and that I was on target to receive the bonus points.

Received a letter confirming what the spend for each of my first 2 months was. (Thought I was home and dry at this point)

Called after 3rd statement received with no £25 refund and no bonus points, was told I would be called back. Which they didn't.

Called again for the same reasons as above, all knowledge of £25 refunds denied, got passed through to online banking, dead end.

Called for 3rd or 4th time, not happy this time, demanded explanation of why refund had not been given and asked when my bonus points would be issued.

After waiting an extremely long time on hold, got told that I was never eligible for the bonus and lied to saying that I have already been told this.

Given the number of times I have phoned Lloyds to query this offer, I feel there was ample opportunity to tell me that I was not eligible.

Is there a case for the FSA here?

Whilst I understand that strictly speaking and going by the letter on the T+C's I shouldn't really have got the bonus. However, shouldn't Lloyds have informed me earlier so I could have made a better decision on where to place my spend?

Did I get put on a "funny list" because I called to query so many times?
I noticed others on this thread mentioned they had cards in the past but this did not stop them getting any bonus offers.

I have only done about 3K or so on the card in the 3 months, mostly on the master card to be honest, but I still feel a bit cheated by all of this.

Should I just let it go and put down to experience, or give them hell over it and write to the FSA?

I'm expecting mixed opinions on this, don't be afraid to speak your mind, if you think I deserve what i (didn't) get for signing up to this, please feel free to say it. I won't be offended.

Last edited by PanGalactic; Feb 24, 2012 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 24, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
PanG, I thought the £25 refund was due the 4th statement and not the third?

I do agree though, they should have told you sooner if you weren't eligible, you've had enough contact with the call centre for them to notice it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
PanG, kind of been dipping in and out of this thread and your saga so apologies for maybe missing the obvious.
Why, precisely, have LLoyds denied you the 10,000 pts set out in their offer which you signed up to (ie. the less good than the 10x offer)? If nothing else you need the exact term(s)they are relying on from them in writing.
it could even be they believe they gave you a bonus on something else recently

I would keep pushing the point, officially, and (assuming they have no case or fail to respond in full faith) then take it to whatever "banking" complaint authority is suggested under the Code.

No need to move accounts at this time.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by littlefish
PanG, kind of been dipping in and out of this thread and your saga so apologies for maybe missing the obvious.
Why, precisely, have LLoyds denied you the 10,000 pts set out in their offer which you signed up to (ie. the less good than the 10x offer)? If nothing else you need the exact term(s)they are relying on from them in writing.
it could even be they believe they gave you a bonus on something else recently

I would keep pushing the point, officially, and (assuming they have no case or fail to respond in full faith) then take it to whatever "banking" complaint authority is suggested under the Code.

No need to move accounts at this time.
There's actually 2 sagas ongoing

One with Mrs P's eligibility, as she did infact have a Lloyds (non avios) credit card until very recently which it is unclear if it rules her out for the 10x offer which she signed up to, got accepted for (with a fairly decent credit limit) and received the pin number for today, the card I expect wil be here early next week.

The plan for her is to call them on Monday and ask for it in writing that she is going to get the 10x bonus. If they aren't willing to do that, or if they say she is not eligible, she will cancel under the 14 days cooling off period.

If they do confirm she is going to get the bonus, believe me when I say I will milk it DRY!

Now back to my story, it's only 10,000 Avios, so I'm not going to let myself get more worked up over it than I already have. I'll wait for this manager to call, if they don't call, I'll call again to "remind" them and if they still don't call I will write to them and threaten to open a case with the FSA as well as tell them I am prepared to move my accounts if the matter isn't resolved to my satisfaction.

Not a lot more I can do really

What has annoyed me most about this whole thing is the sheer lack of knowledge/information shown by the call center. I have honestly never experienced such a load of F-wits in all my life. I have absolutely no idea how this bank managed to stay in business all these years.

Oh silly me, I forgot, we and our children (grandchildren too probably) bailed them out in 2008/9

That is how!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Make sure you raise a formal complaint and get a reference number. The FOS (not the FSA) will not deal with your issue unless you have raised a formal complaint with the bank and got an official rejection letter (called a final response).
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Whilst I understand that strictly speaking and going by the letter on the T+C's I shouldn't really have got the bonus.
I think much may turn on this.
I have only done about 3K or so on the card in the 3 months, mostly on the master card to be honest ...
I haven't got the T+Cs of your offer in front of me, though the other LloydsTSB promos I have seen refer to spend on the AmEx card. Are you sure that MC spend qualifies?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 4:50 am

What are the positive or negative implications of selecting my Lloyds Amex in preference to my bank account when making an eBay payment through PayPal?

Does Amex still convert to US$ and then back to sterling?
If so, do Amex still refund the charges incurred as a result?
And is it then processed as an overseas transaction (=25 Avios per £)?
Or is it just processed as a normal purchase (=12.5 Avios per £)?
Or does it appear as a cash advance and incur charges as a result ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.