Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lloyds Avios credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
My application was rejected on the spurous basis that I did not pass their credit check. I am probably in the top 0.001% in the country on the credit risk stakes and I am wondering whether I can make some sort of the Freedom of Information Act request to see how they have evaluated my application. Probably not, but it would be fun to cause them some grief.

Mrs FF99 should have have a very significantly lower credit rating (she has no earned income at all), so I was thinking of applying for a card for her and then getting myself a supplementary card if she passes their "stringent" scoring tests. However, I have just relaised that she does not have an existing Avios account (although she does have an active BAEC account). I suppose I am stuffed !!
How do you know that you are the top 0.001% of the country.

I would still check your credit file, just incase something is a wrong that you dont know about. Have you tried to appeal the decision.

You can open an Avios account very quickly and easily.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My application was rejected on the spurous basis that I did not pass their credit check.
Ditto.

I'm now trying to work out whether I can be bothered to phone up to ask or to pursue the application in any other way. The 10x earn is tempting, but I'm not exactly short of Avios.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by origin
How do you know that you are the top 0.001% of the country.

I would still check your credit file, just incase something is a wrong that you dont know about. Have you tried to appeal the decision.
We clearly have enough evidence now of the sort of person Lloyds wants, and why they are willing to offer what appears to be a ludicrous number of miles:

1. Unlikely to spend much on their card (ie low income) and so unlikely to earn a huge number of bonus miles
2. Likely to run a balance and thus pay interest

Those of us in the 6-7 figure income bracket are presumably stuffed, although for the heck of it I will try to apply nearer to 28 Feb, and also via Ms Raffles, although she is in 6-figure territory so also likely to fail.

May try to apply via my old Mum who is retired with an annual income of around £8,000, and then get myself a supplementary card on her account - Lloyds will be very surprised when she starts spending her entire credit limit every week and paying down her balance every 7 days .
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:35 am

I expect to be refused (perfect credit record, relatively high earnings, high spender and always pay off cards every month), but I'm surprised that I have not heard either way yet. I applied as soon as the link started working again on the evening of 14th December. Anyone else been waiting that long for a decision?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by SteveF
I expect to be refused (perfect credit record, relatively high earnings, high spender and always pay off cards every month), but I'm surprised that I have not heard either way yet. I applied as soon as the link started working again on the evening of 14th December. Anyone else been waiting that long for a decision?
I also applied once the link started working again. Had not heard anything as of this morning so called lloyds and they told me my application had been approved
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Raffles
We clearly have enough evidence now of the sort of person Lloyds wants, and why they are willing to offer what appears to be a ludicrous number of miles:
If it is realy important to someone. I just linked into your comments.

However why dont people try to open a Lloyds bank account and put through that account some cash. Then apply for the card. You would then have a history with Lloyds.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If it is realy important to someone. I just linked into your comments.

However why dont people try to open a Lloyds bank account and put through that account some cash. Then apply for the card. You would then have a history with Lloyds.
I don't think it is about 'history' with Lloyds, it is purely about the sort of person they are targetting. Opening a current account is unlikely to make much difference, unless you think (which may be true) that if you called up and spoke to them they would be more leniant in order to retain your other business. The actual transaction history on your current account is unlikely to make much difference - all that would really show (if you paid your salary in) is that you weren't telling fibs about how much you earn. However, in this case, the key is to claim a LOWER salary than is true, I think .
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it is about 'history' with Lloyds, it is purely about the sort of person they are targetting. Opening a current account is unlikely to make much difference, unless you think (which may be true) that if you called up and spoke to them they would be more leniant in order to retain your other business. The actual transaction history on your current account is unlikely to make much difference - all that would really show (if you paid your salary in) is that you weren't telling fibs about how much you earn. However, in this case, the key is to claim a LOWER salary than is true, I think .
Thats possibly true. I wouldnt say six figures though. It depends on how much a person is borrowing or has facilities for at the moment.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Not quite correct.

If your bank is registered to generate faster payments, their payment system should attempt to deliver the payment to the bene bank sort code via the faster payments infrastructure – the bene bank sort code must be registered to accept faster payments and your bank must have updated it’s ISCD file, net result is that sort code 77 29 00 accepts faster payments - now is it account 00000000 or 11111111 ?
I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I mean that a customer wanting to make a faster payment (the payer) must inform the payer's bank, not the payer's bank. You're referring to the infrastructure that the bank must have in place to make faster payments.

Someone else mentioned BACS payments above. These take three days.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Cool

My application was rejected on the spurous basis that I did not pass their credit check. I am probably in the top 0.001% in the country on the credit risk stakes and I am wondering whether I can make some sort of the Freedom of Information Act request to see how they have evaluated my application. Probably not, but it would be fun to cause them some grief.

Mrs FF99 should have have a very significantly lower credit rating (she has no earned income at all), so I was thinking of applying for a card for her and then getting myself a supplementary card if she passes their "stringent" scoring tests. However, I have just relaised that she does not have an existing Avios account (although she does have an active BAEC account). I suppose I am stuffed !!
You can make a Data Protection Act request for all data Lloyds holds about you for £10, or request your credit file from the credit agencies Equifax, Experian, and Callcredit for £2 each. I think Lloyds is entitled to withhold commercially sensitive information however.

You can also appeal the rejection in writing, supplying three months' bank statements, evidence of relevant savings, and so on. These should be taken to a Lloyds branch along with your rejection letter and they will photocopy and certify them and post them off.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Someone else mentioned BACS payments above. These take three days.
I thought that had all changed for most banks. They now take 1 day or in an instant.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I thought that had all changed for most banks. They now take 1 day or in an instant.
You're thinking of faster payments, which take under two hours and can normally be processed instantly.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Well, someone from lloyds phoned me today to apologise for the c**k up and said they would ensure my missing avios where added to my account and as a gesture of good will offered me £75 which I thought was jolly nice and a first for a bank for me!

I will be donating the £75 to charity.

Lloyds not so bad after all.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver

1. Unlikely to spend much on their card (ie low income) and so unlikely to earn a huge number of bonus miles
2. Likely to run a balance and thus pay interest

Those of us in the 6-7 figure income bracket are presumably stuffed, although for the heck of it I will try to apply nearer to 28 Feb, and also via Ms Raffles, although she is in 6-figure territory so also likely to fail.

May try to apply via my old Mum who is retired with an annual income of around £8,000, and then get myself a supplementary card on her account - Lloyds will be very surprised when she starts spending her entire credit limit every week and paying down her balance every 7 days .
I was approved with a 10k limit, and I don't think I meet either of those two criteria. I always pay off in full, and I usually spend at least 3k per month, mainly thanks to business expenses. Lloyds should know this, as I took advantage of the airmiles switcher offer to open an account there, they see my salary deposited, also my expense claims from my employer, and also the monthly DD from Amex.
So perhaps I am an exception, perhaps the Lloyds history does help, or perhaps Lloyds are very risk averse on a factor I don't have, e.g I don't have a mortgage to pay, maybe everyone rejected does?

I didnt claim to have a 6 figure salary though, nor do I have one.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mdj1
Well, someone from lloyds phoned me today to apologise for the c**k up and said they would ensure my missing avios where added to my account and as a gesture of good will offered me £75 which I thought was jolly nice and a first for a bank for me!

I will be donating the £75 to charity.

Lloyds not so bad after all.
Very generous of you, don't forget to claim gift aid and deduct on your tax return though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.