Cheapest possible BA flight?

Old Nov 10, 11, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?
Cheapest possible BA flight?

As documented on a previous thread, I'm currently moving to BA from 100% Star Alliance flying. I'm on my way back to the UK from Sydney tonight, in Club, and after the 16th of November I will have enough TP's to be Silver. The trouble is, I won't have enough BA flights - although my round trip LHR-BKK-SYD-BKK-LHR is four separate BA segments, and despite the fact that you have to deplane at BKK and go through security, it only counts as one BA "flight" each way.

Now, it would be very useful for me to be silver on my *next* flight, long haul in club again to SYD, on the 20th of November, because as a silver I would get 100% extra miles. That's an extra 10k BA miles (or avios, I guess) which I would like to have. So I've been wondering how I can go about turning my TP's into silver status, and the only answer is "take two more BA flights". I see this as a kind of "mileage run", one where I'll gain very little from these two flights themselves apart from the fact that they'll enable me to get the status bonus mileage on the longhaul to SYD.

So, assuming my reasoning above is correct - what is the cheapest possible way I can do this next week (before the 20th)? Ideally for the shortest amount of time too, hell if BA have a LCY-LHR I'd take that just to get the "flight" credit :-P

Many thanks,

-simon
Old Nov 10, 11, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Code:
Outbound - Saturday 19 Nov, 2011	
Flight	16:20
19 Nov	17:15
19 Nov	Gatwick (London)	Jersey	BA2774
British Airways	Euro Traveller
Inbound - Saturday 19 Nov, 2011
Flight	19:40
19 Nov	20:30
19 Nov	Jersey	Gatwick (London)	BA2777
British Airways	Euro Traveller
Old Nov 11, 11, 1:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
LHR-NCL returns pricing up at £104 aprox for day returns on sat 19th
Old Nov 11, 11, 3:39 am

Are 10k BA miles really worth the loss of a day of your life to an airport and 100+? Are they guranteed to be credited to your account prior to your sydney flight?
Old Nov 11, 11, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by morrison1984 View Post
Are 10k BA miles really worth the loss of a day of your life to an airport and 100+? Are they guranteed to be credited to your account prior to your sydney flight?
That is for the OP to decide, and not for us to question perhaps? We all have different requirements and priorities. And the 100 cost could be abated by some tactical Duty-free shopping in Jersey Airport

As to "crediting in time", it may require a bit of discussion with BA after the event[s] but it would be resolved in a matter of days.
Old Nov 11, 11, 5:57 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by morrison1984 View Post
Well if one were to buy them, 100GBP does not get you very far (4-5000 miles maybe?)... and if the OP can do useful things whilst traveling (as I do) then its not really a lost day anyway... and one will get some snacks/drinks once silver is triggered due to the lounge. If it were me, I'd do it... my 2 cents.
Old Nov 13, 11, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Actually it would be an extra 10k miles each way, so 20k miles. In fact, does anyone know if the status bonus of 100% is cumulative with the booking class bonus? If so since I am in C it would be an extra 30k miles. Hrm, that might be closer to being worth my time and a hundred quid...
Old Nov 13, 11, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by SimonsMiles
In fact, does anyone know if the status bonus of 100% is cumulative with the booking class bonus? If so since I am in C it would be an extra 30k miles.
The mile-calculator gizmo suggests it is.

20K Avios can be worth as much as 1,200 (on an Upgradios from WT+ to CW on LHR-ORD, comparing a T fare to an I fare on some random dates).
Old Nov 13, 11, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle View Post
The mile-calculator gizmo suggests it is.

20K Avios can be worth as much as 1,200 (on an Upgradios from WT+ to CW on LHR-ORD, comparing a T fare to an I fare on some random dates).
Oooh, I didn't think of checking the mile calculator. Wow, for 30k points it might just be worth it.

Many thanks.
Old Nov 13, 11, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by T8191:17430713
And the £100 cost could be abated by some tactical Duty-free shopping in Jersey Airport
I don't want to start a new thread, but any particular bargains to be had?
Old Nov 14, 11, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Originally Posted by NeverFirst View Post
I don't want to start a new thread, but any particular bargains to be had?
Jersey's outside the EU customs territory, so it's properly duty-free for alcohol and tobacco. Therefore, either of these will be good purchases if you are going to consume or gift them.
Old Nov 14, 11, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by stifle View Post
Jersey's outside the EU customs territory, so it's properly duty-free for alcohol and tobacco. Therefore, either of these will be good purchases if you are going to consume or gift them.
Within the UK Limits for non-EU, of course!! 200/1 litre.

JER Duty Free:
Carton of 200 ciggies around 25-28. What do you pay?
Litre of cheap spirits around 12. Ditto?
Heaven knows what you pay in UK for that ... my local wine merchant does 56
for 200, and a 75cl quality Calvados for 15.

YMMV, of course. But it does save something from the cost of the ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: