Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Future fleet order....... Assuming IAG buy BMI

Future fleet order....... Assuming IAG buy BMI

Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by oscietra
Doubt it. Too small for the routes proposed. Will much more likely be A320 family (and hopefully another brace of A318s for LCY)
The Embraers are too small and not enough range. Got knocked out of the competition very early. So it would have been airbus or 737 but now who knows.

Last edited by Jumbodriver; Nov 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
A dedicated new EMB service that is based in NQY.....(I Would use it!!!)
07:00 NQY- LHR (FULL HOT BREAKFAST)
09:00 LHR-NQY (FULL HOT BREAKFAST)
11:00 NQY-LGW (BRUNCH)
13:00 LGW-NQY (LUNCH)
15:00 NQY-LHR (FULL AFTERNOON TEA - REAL CLOTTED CREAM)
17:00 LHR-NQY (HOT DINNER)
19:00 NQY - LGW (HOT DINNER)
21:00 LGW-NQY (NIBBLES AND DRINKS.)

I knew I liked you skippy !!! But your plan might need two based aircraft as you missed out LCY

And if only you weren't joking

cs
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FrancisA
That's true from a financial point of view, but as crew can only be licensed for three plane types at a time, adding in A340s or A330s would make life difficult. I imagine a Boeing option would therefore be better, probably a mix of 777s and 787s, but 747-800 would be nice (althoiugh ruled out by everyone on here).
Why has it been ruled out by everyone on here?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, East Coast Mainline, Sheraton
I think BA could put the ex MED mid haul configured A320/1 to good use on the longer routes that still have to suffer Club Europe on LCA as well on the current BD routes.

In wonder which crew fleet the BD crew would be integrated into? Probably mixed fleet I would imagine.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
but 747-800 would be nice
As we are talking about aircraft types, would you allow me to be a pedant.

Pedant mode On

There is no such aircraft as a Boeing 747-800. There is a Boeing 747-8 but not a Boeing 747-800.

Pedant mode Off
Old Nov 6, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airclues
As we are talking about aircraft types, would you allow me to be a pedant.

Pedant mode On

There is no such aircraft as a Boeing 747-800. There is a Boeing 747-8 but not a Boeing 747-800.

Pedant mode Off
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by shogan1977
Why has it been ruled out by everyone on here?
At the time of the BA RFP for their VLA, it was either the A380 or B748i, not both. They have been consistent with it.

As much as I would love to see the B748i in BA colors, I don't think its happening.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC, HHH (Diamond), Le Club (Platinum), Hertz (Gold), Priority Club,
Jacobin777

Just imagine it with windows and without the "World Cargo";

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/...llery/1799.jpg
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Jacobin777

such a gorgeous looking aircraft !

so glad that they had it painted in the BA scheme instead of the current GSS scheme

cs
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Jacobin777

And a much extended upper deck...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Blue, 9W Blue, LH
Originally Posted by FrancisA
That's true from a financial point of view, but as crew can only be licensed for three plane types at a time, adding in A340s or A330s would make life difficult. I imagine a Boeing option would therefore be better, probably a mix of 777s and 787s, but 747-800 would be nice (althoiugh ruled out by everyone on here).
But since IAG have bought BMI now, assumably they will gain the BMI fleet, which does consist of two A330s, and although they have announced job losses, perhaps they may keep some BMI crews, as they will retain many of their medium haul Middle East routes.

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
BA have been really impressed with the economics of the 777-300 so I bet that they would have a few more of those in the first instance.
Also I would have thought that a few more A380's would not go amiss but I also suspect that some of the 747's that were due for early retirement will be around a bit longer......
FD
True that, as you know A380s have a habit of being delayed in delivery, and the 747 is BA's flagship aircraft, operating more of it than most other, if not any other airline. They are keeping some anyway for longer, as a 1 for 1 replacement replaces only 12 out of 55 747-400 aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
the 787's on order are supposed to be like for like swaps for the oldest 767's
According to Galley FM, the 767s are staying around even after the 787s have arrived. Presumably that's why plan to one day, maybe, start to scrape the clotted cream off the seats and stick back on the armrests, to give them a new lease of life.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
According to Galley FM, the 767s are staying around even after the 787s have arrived. Presumably that's why plan to one day, maybe, start to scrape the clotted cream off the seats and stick back on the armrests, to give them a new lease of life.

My prediction (assuming the BA/IAG & BMI deal goes through) is that the 767s will remain for a while yet.

The planned removal of of 7 767s will be cancelled and those 7 aircraft will get the internal upgrade.

The BMI airbus fleet will in part replace the Boeing fleet at Gatters with the A321s remaining at LHR

Could we see BA picking up the ex BA 767s that were offloaded to Qantas some years ago? that would certainly be a fairly cheap way to increase the fleet at fairly short notice, considering QF are looking to ditch the 767s

cs
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
As much as I'd love to see more A380 orders being taken I doubt it due to the limited number of routes that these a/c can operate.

Although I think we all loathe the 767s in their current form, I believe if the right amount of investment, in the form of extensive cabin replacements, was put into the a/c I think they could continue for a lot longer without any majors complaints from us lot.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:02 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by JMurray
Although I think we all loathe the 767s in their current form
Only the short-haul ones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.